Hi from Noble Jay Brewing Company! Thanks for checking out our Kickstarter campaign! We are opening a small craft brewery and tap room in the quaint seaside town of Niantic, CT (a small village in the Town of East Lyme) in the Spring of 2016. We'll be brewing lagers and ales with a special focus on craft lagers - a style long mistreated by macro brewers here in the U.S. We're bringing Craft Lagers back!
- Mike is a Connecticut native and Noble Jay's Founder and Head Brewer. He has been brewing for 16 year and has a special affinity for craft lagers. He has a Parks and Recreation background and enjoys spending time on the slopes and being outside with his brewery dog Charlotte. Mike works with Jesse as an Oceanograhic Survey Technician and has spent many a day offshore in remote parts of the U.S.
- Jesse is a Virginia Native and Noble Jay's Director of Marketing and Sales as well as Wearer of Many Hats. He's a proud father of three kids, ocean lover, craft beer geek and outdoor enthusiast who enjoys trail running, surfing and rock climbing. He's also a marine geologist and oceanographic surveyor and has spent many days offshore with Mike including in the Gulf of Mexico where Noble Jay began to hatch. He currently serves as Director of Business Development for an Oceanographic Survey Firm.
- Cori is a Jersey Shore Native and Manager of Noble Jay's Tap Room. She is a proud mother of three kids, ocean lover, craft beer lover from way back, and health and fitness nut who enjoys skiing, surfing and running. Cori spent a good amount of her college days tending and managing bars. She has a passion for animals and currently serves as a Registered Veterinary Technician.
Why Noble Jay
Noble Jay Brewing Company is named in honor of our Founder and Brewer's mother. Tragically Patricia Jay, know to her friends and family as "Jay", passed away from skin cancer when Mike was 15 months old. With "Patricia" having Latin roots in "Nobility" Mike decided the best way to honor his mother's memory was to name the brewery "Noble Jay" and place a discrete "PJ'79" in our logo.
"The Noble Tap"
It's important to us that we not only become part of Niantic but that we also give back. To honor Patricia Jay's legacy and give back to our community, we will have a single tap in the tasting room dedicated as "The Noble Tap." Each month, we will team with a local charity to which we will donate 10% of sales from The Noble Tap that month.
We're already building a nest! Noble Jay Brewing Company will be located at 11 Freedom Way, Niantic, CT. It can be easily accessed from Exit 72 of Interstate-95 and is within walking distance of Rocky Neck State Park - a great spot for camping and relaxing on the beach.
We plan to start brewing with a 2-barrel brewing system designed by SABCO in conjunction with Dogfish Head Owner Sam Calagione. This system is specially designed to allow efficiency and repeatability for small brewers like us. Although Noble Jay will start small, our tasting room will have a full bar and tables where you can enjoy tastings and pints and fill growlers to enjoy at home. We'll supplement our lineup of Noble Jay Brews with other great craft beers from our friends and brewers in CT. We plan for this to be a community and family gathering spot and will have games for adults and kids alike to enjoy. We'll be working with our friends at local restaurants to provide prepared foods at the brewery for purchase. In addition we welcome you to bring your own food to enjoy at the brewery. BYOF!
We plan on brewing 50% lagers and 50% ales with a special focus on craft lagers - an early American delicious and diverse style which was watered down and filled with adjuncts by macro brewers following the repeal of Prohibition. We're joining a small group of New England and U.S. brewers with the intent to bring craft lagers back. Help us beat back the invasive Maa-Crow!
Our Flagship Lagers will include:
- Mo Pilsner - A high body Pre-Prohibition Style American Pilsner
- Fatty Boom Boom - A 8% rich and malty Lagered Baltic Porter
- IIPL - A balanced Amarillo-hopped Imperial India Pale Lager
Some of our other brews will include a Munich Dunkel, Soriachi-Ace Hopped Rye Pale Ale, Strong Scotch Ale, Saison, Barley Wine, Wheat Wine and others. As you can tell we plan to have a wide variety of styles to choose from every time you come in and a steady rotation of new and interesting beers to try.
What people Are Saying
We've spent the last year sharing our beer with Connecticut craft beer geeks, brewers and bars alike and have encouraged honest opinions. All of our beers can be found on the beer rating website Untappd. Click here to find our what people are saying about our beers.
How We'll Use Funds From This Campaign
The most important asset to any brewery is a passionate and dedicated Brewer. Luckily we have one of those! But every craftsman must have tools. We will use the funds from this campaign to put towards a brewing system so Mike can craft the delicious brews you'll enjoy at Noble Jay. Thanks for joining us on this journey and we can't wait to share a beer with you!
Risks and challenges
Opening a business in which you will manufacture and distribute beer requires the cutting of copious amounts of red tape. We have thoroughly reviewed all Federal, State and Local permits and licenses required to open and have an attorney on board to review these submittals. There is always a chance for unforeseen permitting issues to slow us down but we shall persist! The town of Niantic has been incredibly supportive and has already granted us zoning approval. That's one piece of red tape cut!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)