Sarah's Journey: An Empowering Adventure Book for Children
It is an empowerment book for children about the heroic adventures of an 8 years old displaced girl called Sarah.
Sarah is strong and curious, and can talk to the elements of nature who guide her to overcome the hardships. She keeps believing in her dream until it becomes true.
In this campaign you can get an early bird copy of the book, or donate a book to a displaced child and get your donation certificate as a gift card. You can do BOTH!
We were invited to read this story for 120 Swedish students in one of Stockholm’s best schools. 100 % positive responses from the students and the teachers.
Check out what the 6th grade Swedish students wrote in the survey:
The book provides displaced children with positive mental images, and brings them a role-model that shares their experiences and manages to overcome the hardships.
We cannot send a psychologist to every child, but we can integrate therapy in powerful stories. A book is a low-cost therapy tool that can reach children everywhere.
The author spent 20 months of research, testing and consulting a range of professionals in different countries, including professors of psychology at the Universities of Vienna and Stockholm, The therapy in the book relies on principles of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and exposure therapy.
1. The eBook:
A beautifully illustrated eBook delivered straight to your inbox. Available at first in 3 languages : English, Swedish, Arabic
2. The book:
A beautiful 38 pages hardcover book, in (11˝ X 8.5˝) landscape format, with vibrant color illustrations, printed in high quality and delivered right to your doorstep. Available at first in 3 languages : English, Swedish, Arabic.
For Christmas, spend your gift money on making the world a better place for hundreds of displaced children. Your donations will go to children in refugee camps in Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan.
The donated books will be printed in Arabic, the logistics will be coordinated by our partner organisation Molham Team. The delivery report with photos will be sent to you from the NGO's official email.
4. Get your name in the book & Chat with the author on Skype:
Get your name listed in the book with team of experts and collaborators who helped bringing this book to life. The author will be happy to talk to you about his journey, the origin of the project and other stories that will inspire you.
5. Corporate packages & keynote presentation by the author:
Would your company support a children’s cause for Christmas, and get rewarded for doing so? check our Corporate three package.
- It’s Universal: The metaphors in the book are based on the universal elements of nature to appeal to all children, regardless of their background. Nature connects all children in the world
- It bridges cultures: We have organized several book readings in different languages for both displaced and European children, in collaboration with Stockholm House of Culture & City Theater The results have been AMAZING
- Based on science, therapy through storytelling: It provides refugee children with positive mental images. It relies on principles of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and exposure therapy, and is validated by professors of psychology at the Universities of Vienna and Stockholm.
- It endorses gender equality: With a strong female hero character, the book projects children from both genders as equal.
- It encourages integration: The book encourages displaced children to integrate in their new society and become positive members of it. It helps children from all origins realize what they have in common and focus the shared values between humans.
- It is a dream catalyst: The book encourages all children to believe in their dreams and to have a positive image of their future. Displaced children need to feel safe and at home in their new environment. This book connects the idea of feeling at home with having a positive self-image and a dream for the future.
Sarah's journey was written by me, Imad Elabdala. I am a Syrian refugee, now based in Sweden. I have been on the same journey as Sarah, and I have seen many children whose dreams and childhoods were being destroyed in the war. I managed to settle and to get a decent job while rebuilding my life in Sweden, but the issue of those children could not leave my mind. So I put my career aside, and dedicated the last 20 months of my life to working on this book. I started by consulting professionals with the intention of developing a sustainable global tool that brings healing to traumatized children who experienced displacement. I was developing the story while volunteering at the Red Cross on the Slovenian-Croatian border in 2015 to help refugees who were coming to Europe.
I believe that stories can shape our personalities and identities. That is how Sarah was born. Back in Sweden, I worked on building Kidnovation, a media innovation lab for displaced children, and Sarah’s Journey is our first product.
Where are we now?
We have printed the Beta version of the book using our character design, initial illustrations and the genuine drawings of the children. We use these books for our book-reading activities and school visits.
We need your help to:
- Hire a professional illustrator to work with a psychologist and bring the best healing results.
- Hire an editor, and translators.
- Print the first 1000 copies of the book for you and for the refugee children, and secure the logistics to deliver the donated copies to the NGOs.
The book design should be finished by April 2017, at which point the book will go into production and will be available for shipping by June 2017.
Special thanks for the video company Future Museum for their help with the amazing video
Special thanks for the talented illustrator Gorazd Vahen for helping with the character study of Sarah
Thanks from the heart to all the great team who helped this project come to life
Risks and challenges
We have the backing of Impact Hub Stockholm, a social innovation hub which support social entrepreneurs. They advise us on all matters of the project, from press management to logistics and order fulfillment.
The book will be printed using printing and fulfillment services of a company trusted by many other Kickstarter projects with a proven track record. For the donated copies, we will handle the printing of the book in Lebanon to bring the book production as close to the camps as possible to minimise the risk of shipping delays.
In the event of receiving pledges for more book donations than Molham Team can deliver to the refugee camps, we have a number of other NGOs in Turkey and in Greece who are ready to step in and deliver copies of the book to the camps where they are active. Moreover, we are in contact with refugee camps in Sweden as well.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)