The Fun Way to Master Human Anatomy: Humanatomy
The Fun Way to Master Human Anatomy: Humanatomy
Humanatomy is an innovative, fun and interactive game for learning the human body. Amazing images for all levels of learners to play.
Humanatomy is an innovative, fun and interactive game for learning the human body. Amazing images for all levels of learners to play. Read more
About this project
Understanding the bones, muscles and using correct terminology are the foundations for the function and language of anatomy...
Humanatomy is a beautifully created educational app
It's design is simple and accurate. The games are interactive and build knowledge through repetition, visuals, and sound. Humanatomy has a human voice to hear the names of muscles and bones. It notes where you need to improve and focusses on those areas.
Have you thought about learning more about the human body? Do you want to be a doctor, nurse or health care provider? Are you an athlete, dancer or artist? Do you have an injury and want to know your body better? Then Humanatomy is for you!
We have a supportive YouTube channel and have had over 10,000 views! (Update: As of Oct 31, we have had over 33,000 views!) We will keep building more videos for student learning. Did you know the difference between isotonic and isometric muscle contractions? Watch the video here.
Our first build of our app will include the following:
1. Anatomy games. Currently we are developing one anatomy game with many levels. It will be an identify the bone and muscle game. We have lots of great ideas for more games as our brand gains traction. All our games are intended to be interactive with a combination of excellent images, correct terminology, and fun.
2. Flashcards. We have the platform for the flashcard component. Each flash card will have the muscle image. You will be able to customize what you need to study. The origin, insertion, action, nerve, blood supply and memory aid will be interactive. You will be able to build multiple study decks and review until you know it.
Why do I want Humanatomy to get to market?
As an instructor, I have seen students lose sleep and shed many tears of frustration over learning human anatomy. The challenges are:
- It's a new language. A foreign language!
- There are a lot of details.
- Books are two dimensional.
- It's difficult to see layers and fiber directions in books.
- You can't hear how a word is pronounced in a book.
- Books have everything in charts.
- It is difficult to engage in the material.
- The images are gross/scary/too red/only black and white/too complicated.
I wanted to create something that is accurate, easy on the eyes and engaging. If you never thought science or biology was 'your thing', this will change your mind. This app is more then memorizing the data. It is a completely new way to learn muscles and bones. My students hear me say, "the body is amazing" about 10 times a day. It is and I want anyone that wants to know more about it to have access to it.
$24,000 is not a random number. We have invested the last three years to personally develop the images, initial prototype, design and legal matters. It's time to get this app done! Our developer, Richard Hart, has done some amazing work and provided terrific feedback during our early phases. He is now teaching full time with BCIT. We have reached out to a local development group, Steamclock Software (steamclock.com). They are skilled, educated and knowledgeable and understand what our vision is. For the most basic functionality, the coding and polishing will be $24,000. For a highly polished, interactive app, the proposal estimate is $52,000. This would include:
Design: includes the wireframes and navigation design, visual design, custom asset generation and prep, gameplay design and improvements. This phase is COMPLETED.
iPad App: includes coding, navigation flow, gameplay behaviour and polish, visual polish, integration of levels and content. The flash cards include construction of deck list, adding a deck, settings, testing screen, additional features, visual polish and reporting.
Testing and Deployment: includes polish and iteration, QA, bug fixing and app store submission.
We are fundraising for the following:
$24,000-$42,00 to finish the iPad App and the Testing and Deployment phases. The $24,000 will cover the basic functionality.* $42,000 would be for a highly polished, animated and interactive app. We are currently focusing on basic functionality.
$2,400 to go to Kickstarter fees
$1,350 to pay for the expenses of manufacturing and shipping (to us and to you) of the rewards.
I acknowledge $24,000-$42,000 is a lot. That is how much an good app takes. We are crowdfunding for the most basic amount and plan on launching stretch goals to make the app even better. I promise you Humanatomy will be something great!
*Note: I have been asked, "Why not contract over seas? The work could be done at a much lower rate." My answer is "Even though over seas coders can be 1/3-1/2 the cost, they only code what you say. I am on a steep learning curve and don't want to waste time, energy and funding by having designs and codes being tested then requiring recoding or redesigning. Steamclock is a design team and they understand what we want to create. They have put in their expertise and input. We have a dialogue so that everything can be completed in an efficient and timely manner. Our estimate from full funding is 4-5 weeks til Humanatomy can be shipped to the App Store."
Why Support Humanatomy?
- You may want to own this app.
- You may know someone who could use this app.
- You are an educator and see the benefit for student learning and retention.
- Your pledge could help the development of a future doctor, scientist, artist or health professional.
What are People saying about the Humanatomy Campaign?
"I wish you guys good luck, i was hoping to bone up on some of the weaker points in my anatomy as a practicing physician." - Greg W.
"I can't tell you how many times I wished there was something like your app available out there other than my heavy Netter's Human Anatomy book and 2 other anatomy books." - T. Lerma
What are the Rewards?
Our reward levels start with:
- A big thank-you!
- A PDF downloadable, printable study guide for bones.
- The Humanatomy 1.0 app.
- Access to our Premium Member Website. This website will include lots of downloadable study guides and posters. Access to interactive learning tools, games, our blog and contests. You also get exclusive news of new products and discounts. There is a one-time fee to join. Kickstarter backers will get this for free!
- A set of our custom pins. They are beautiful and very cool.
- A humanatomy t-shirt.
- A Humanatomy USB preloaded with 6 study guides.
- Humanatomy custom lunchbox. How cool is a magnet study lunch box?
I have been developing this app for my students. I want it to be something that they could use for learning, reviewing and refreshing their knowledge. I believe that this will change how learning human anatomy can be interactive and fun.
Thank-you for reading and please pledge and support my vision!
Risks and challenges
Risks and Challenges
We have been self funding this project for almost three years. Our team is in place and we expect to be able to move full steam ahead.
Potential Challenges are:
1. The developing takes longer then anticipated for the app function. We have a new development group starting with new wire frames. Our timeline with Steamclock (http://www.steamclock.com/) looks like a 4-6w week turn around to get the app shipped to the Apple app store. That would commence when the funds are in place.
2. There may be a delay in production of the rewards. Some items will be custom made and we hope to have allotted enough time for the manufacturing and shipping.
We expect to keep clear communication will all our backers of the status of this project. We are grateful for your support and confidence in Humanatomy.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)