The Armada - A Versatile Sports Watch Powered by the Sun
The Armada - A Versatile Sports Watch Powered by the Sun
A masterful blend of vintage + modern watch design - 200M water proof, sapphire watch crystal, 316L steel watch case, heirloom quality.
A masterful blend of vintage + modern watch design - 200M water proof, sapphire watch crystal, 316L steel watch case, heirloom quality. Read more
Now that the ManchesterWatchWorks Tatoskok dive watch was an overwhelming Kickstarter success, we're ready to debut our latest...
We sent our first model, the Flagship LE, to finishing school and our latest offering emerged from the extensive honing and refinement as the first micro brand solar powered watch - The Armada.
***Domed sapphire is no longer a stretch goal! It's now included on every watch.***
Note: If you wish to back the Steel Deal option and have a USA shipping address, your shipping is free. So, please choose the "USA ONLY - Steel Deal" tier. Otherwise, you will mistakenly be charged for international shipping.
The TimeBum previews the ARMADA here: http://www.thetimebum.com/2015/06/preview-manchester-watch-works-armada.html
Thanks to Worn & Wound for the fantastic write-up here: http://wornandwound.com/2015/06/12/the-armada-by-manchester-watch-works/
- a solar powered Seiko Epson VS37 movement with 6 months of power reserve in total darkness and low power indictor for the ultimate no maintenance watch experience
- 41mm 316l brushed steel case with 200m water resistance for extreme activities or not so extreme activities
- 20mm lug width and only 12mm thick to fit easily under sleeves
- scratch proof domed sapphire crystal with inner anti-reflective coating (our only stretch goal unlocked at 50k adds a domed sapphire crystal with inner AR coating!)
- 2 dial design choices with thick Swiss BGW9 lumed indices and hands. Looks white but glows a cool blue
- 120 click unidirectional bezel with choice of black or blue aluminum insert with BGW9 lumed 12:00 triangle
- engraved screwed down caseback and crown
- black water resistant patterned leather backed strap with engraved steel buckle
- optional solid stainless steel h-link bracelet with engraved flip lock clasp
The Making of an Iconic Dive Watch for the 21st century
We took the Flagship LE's already well-engineered case and worked it until we had a more refined and aesthetically interesting look with alternating polished and brushed finishes and angled planes.
For the dial and bezel, we were inspired by iconic Swiss dive watches from the 60's and 70's by such legendary watchmakers such as Girard Perregaux, Jaeger LeCoultre, Omega, Heuer, and Rolex.
The strap was inspired by the tropic straps from the same era but modernized for today.
The Movement (No Batteries Needed!):
Despite all the vintage design inspirations, we chose a thoroughly high tech modern movement to power the Armada - the solar powered Seiko Epson VS37.
This uses all sorts of light to charge its state-of-the-art titanium lithium ion battery. So, it can be charged indoors or out and does not need to be plugged in. However, it loves sunlight as that will charge it the quickest. And if your Armada becomes low on power, the seconds hand will tick every 2 seconds to let you know it needs light.
- 1 minute: Just one minute of sunlight delivers one hour of charge and the watch is fully charged after just six hours.
- 6 months: The watch retains the charge for an extended period. When worn regularly, the watch will remain fully charged. But even if left in pitch blackness for 6 months, the watch will continue to work normally.
- Quick Start Function: If the watch is without power, it will start to run after a few seconds of exposure to light of at least 30W.
- Also equipped with an Over Charge Protection Function.
Changes to be made on production versions:
- Bezels markers will be aligned properly (green circles)
- Red/blue crown tube will be shortened (red circled area)
- All Armadas will have all white seconds hands with BGW9 lumed dots
As of the launch of this project we have completed the design and planning phases for the production of the Armada. We have also received the fully functional and approved pre-production samples shown on this project page. The next phase is funding, which (if you are reading this) we are currently in.
Funding and Production:
All of our funding goal here on Kickstarter will be used to produce and fulfill the Armada (minus our charitable donations TBD at year end). Our ultimate goal is to become completely independent and still adhere to our original mission to produce high quality timepieces with great value.
Once this project is fully funded, the manufacturer will receive the green light to start full production and sourcing of all components described here and shown on the sample Armada's.
When this campaign is over, I will keep all backers abreast of the progress through Kickstarter updates and our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/mww802
Your pledge will enable us to progress the Armada to full production. We will be using a combination of revenue from this Kickstarter project and my own personal investment to fund full production.
And as with all ManchesterWatchWorks timepieces, this will be the one and only production run - proving exclusivity and affordability can co-exist.
We design watches we like. Then we make enough to share with the world.
Call us 'old-fashioned' but our business philosophy is simple - make a great product and stand behind it.
In addition, our company is built on the firm belief that heirloom quality, beautifully designed timepieces can be made affordable for any wrist.
We are also firm believers in giving back to our community and our planet. As such, we strive to use eco-friendly packaging whenever we can. Plus, a portion of all gross sales will be donated annually to St. Jude's Children Hospital and/or the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Our reach only goes so far. That's where word of mouth comes in. So, tell all you know about the Armada and get one while you can!
Thanks for your support!
Enjoy your time,
Douglas Kim, Founder, ManchesterWatchWorks
Risks and challenges
As with any project, there are always risks and delays that can arise due to a variety of factors beyond my control including supply chain and quality control issues as the components come from different manufacturers/suppliers all over the world. However, I am confident that I am well able to deal with any issues that may arise with the production.
Having owned and worked on hundreds of watches, I know a well built watch when I see one. So, I have selected a manufacturer who is used by many, respected brands all over the globe (many of which I have owned). As such, they have a proven track record when it comes to heirloom quality. In addition, we have one successful production run under our belts with this company.
I have also made sure to select a proven movement from Japanese movement manufacturer, Seiko/Epson, of which there is generally ample availability. So rest assured, quality control will be high and customer service will be a priority.
In addition, your ManchesterWatchWorks timepiece will be covered by a twelve (12) month warranty effective from the shipping date. The warranty covers manufacturing and material defects.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)