The cars were fast, the tracks were wide and tortuous, the finishes were too close, and the drivers - they were heroic like Andretti, Brabham, Clark, Donahue, Foyt, Gurney, Hill, Hulme, and McLaren.
And the rivalries were even bigger, between Porsche, Ferrari and Ford at Le Mans; Porsche versus McLaren in CanAm; the Camaros and Mustangs on the TransAm circuit; and Lotus and Ferrari in Formula One.
The 60's were also memorable for another race - the race to build the first automatic chronograph watch. Before this time, the big Swiss companies with chronographs all had manual winding mechanical chronographs. It became a heated, intense competition between Heuer/Breitling/et al. (who formed a partnership) and Zenith and Seiko.
In the end, there is still much controversy as to who actually developed the first automatic winding chronograph, but we all won!
The ManchesterWatchWorks' Morgan chronograph watch is a tribute to that era of fierce sports and engineering rivalries.
Named after the Vermont state horse, the Morgan shows off our take on the "panda" dial with 3 versions: the blue-eyed panda, the brown eyed panda and the all black panda. Each dial has a slate finish with sunburst finished subdials. Backers will be able to choose their Morgan with a date window or without.
- 40mm diameter 316L stainless steel brushed and polished case - 48.5mm lug to lug length - raised and beveled sapphire crystal with inner antireflective coating - 100m water resistance - 20mm lug width - 11.8mm thick - choice of date or no date dial - slate brushed finished dials with sunray finished subdials - white lume on dial and hands that glows blue (BGW9 Swiss Superluminova) - quilted pattern black leather strap - webstore retail price of $420 USD
Other movement specs
- Running hacking 60 seconds hand at 3:00 subdial - 9:00 subdial measures 30 minute increments - 6:00 subdial measures hours elapsed (up to 10 hours)
Change to be made on production version
The white lumed hour markers on the silver dial blue eyed panda will be outlined in black (like the white dial brown eyed panda ) for increased legibility.
1. Inner anti-reflective coating on the sapphire crystal; Unlocked at 30k - UNLOCKED AND NOW STANDARD ISSUE!
2. Additional blue slate finished dial with white subdials color choice (see render below); Unlocked at 40k
3. Custom fabricated for the Morgan, tough - yet softer than the rest - one piece nylon strap with a unique "smokin' tire burn out" pattern as can be seen in some photos and render below (one piece construction allows the buckle to be centered under the wrist no matter what the wrist size), in addition to the quilted black leather strap; Unlocked at 50k
Making the Morgan
As of the launch of this project we have completed the design and planning phases for the production of the Morgan. We have also received the fully functional and approved pre-production samples shown on this project page. The next phase is funding, which (if you are reading this) we are currently in.
Once this project is fully funded, the manufacturer will receive the green light to start full production and sourcing of all components described here and shown on the sample Morgan's.
When this campaign is over, I will keep all backers abreast of the progress through Kickstarter updates.
Photos by Marcos Santana
Thanks for your support!
Risks and challenges
We have fulfilled and delivered two successfully funded KS projects to hundreds of satisfied backers worldwide and our watches have met or exceeded expectations. In addition, we have hundreds of satisfied global customers from our webstore sales. As such, we know how to handle any issues that may arise.
I have also selected a proven movement from Swiss movement manufacturer, Isaswiss, of which there is generally ample availability. So rest assured, quality control will be high and customer service will be a priority.
In addition, your ManchesterWatchWorks timepiece is covered by a twelve (12) month warranty effective from the shipping date. The warranty covers manufacturing and material defects.
Need more info? Check out our 2 prior Kickstarter funded projects, the Tatoskok and the Trench Watch Series, and/or Google 'ManchesterWatchWorks' for tons of online reviews.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)