Beer Advent Calendar - The Beer Lover's Holiday Tradition
Beer Advent Calendar - The Beer Lover's Holiday Tradition
Beer Lovers are excited for X-mas already. Join the growing holiday tradition of the Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas!
Beer Lovers are excited for X-mas already. Join the growing holiday tradition of the Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas! Read more
A Beer Advent Calendar is for anyone that loves craft beer or wants to learn more about craft beer. It's a great gift for others or an awesome treat for yourself (let's face it, you deserve a treat).
Much like a traditional chocolate advent calendar, a Beer Advent Calendar is a box in which 24 beers are hidden under 24 numbered flaps. Each day from December 1st through December 24th a single numbered flap is opened to reveal a surprise beer for you to enjoy on each of the 24 days in anticipation of Christmas.
***Never heard of a traditional chocolate advent calendar? No worries, you'll still enjoy how we've improved on it!
30 seconds of your time could make the difference in growing the Beer Advent Calendar tradition. Hit one of the buttons below and tag a friend who loves craft beer or a spouse so they know what to get you for Christmas.
We love craft beer, and we firmly believe in the growing craft beer community. This community is inspiring people to explore small-scale, local, and better made beer and has created a platform for beer enthusiasts, brewers, beer store owners, bloggers, writers and entrepreneurs. Because we believe in the resurgence of craft beer, our goal is to inspire others to join the craft beer community through their experience of the Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas
DIY Beer Advent Calendars have been around for years, but after realizing that unless you built your own Beer Advent Calendar, you couldn't participate in the tradition, we wanted to make this holiday tradition more accessible to everyone. Our goal was to create a product that everyone could enjoy and use, regardless of their crafting/handyman skills, income level, or beer preference.
The 12 Beers of Christmas grew out of a family tradition of gifting beer on Christmas. Elaina and I knew that beer was always a gift we could afford, and it was always going to get used (no one has ever heard of a gift receipt for beer!). It's a gift that shows your craft beer enthusiast that you understand their love of beer. Hand selecting and curating a beer-a-day for the 12 days of Christmas is much more personal than slapping a bow on a 6-pack from the grocery store.
When designing the Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas, we wanted to ensure that it was accessible and easy to use for everyone in the craft beer community. This was the backing force behind every decision we made and each feature of our patent pending Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas.
Our product has the following key design features:
- 24 (or 12) INDEPENDENTLY OPENING LIDS - Each beer is kept a surprise until the day you open it.
- COMPLETELY COLLAPSIBLE - Our design collapses to 17"x23"x1" which makes for easy storage in the off season and reduces the overall cost by lessening our shipping expenses.
- ASSEMBLES IN LESS THAN 1 MINUTE - User experience played a large role in our design. We wanted to ensure that no additional glueing or assembling was required once you received your Beer Advent Calendar or 12 Beers of Christmas. Our product pops open and is ready to use with little effort.
- MADE FROM STRONG AND DURABLE CARDBOARD - Designing our product to support the weight of the beer from the bottom allowed us to use cardboard without compromising on strength and durability. The use of cardboard also allowed us to use an environmentally friendly material while lowering the cost of our product.
- HOLDS MOST 12oz BOTTLES or 12-16oz CANS - Because it was important to us to be able to accommodate a wide variety of tastes, we designed our Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas to fit almost all single serving bottles and cans on the market. This ensured that that regardless of your beer preference, our Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas would work for you.
Beer was always our traditional holiday gift. It was always something we were excited to gift and receive. It was always something we could afford. We could guarantee that it was one gift that was going to be used (unlike that ugly sweater your aunt gave you).
Two years ago, we discovered the holiday tradition of Beer Advent Calendars via DIY posts online. That winter we started building calendars for family and friends in our basement. We organized buying of the beer for the calendars to ensure each beer was a surprise for others on the day it was opened. It was amazing to see the interactions between the Beer Advent Calendar users each day – The excitement of finding a beer they’d never tried, the disappointment of forgetting to put the beer in the fridge before work that day, the fun of talking with your coworkers about how you liked your beer last night – It was the pure joy of the holidays, like being a kid again. The next year with 40 participants, we realized that our current design, at over 45 minutes per box to create, was no longer sustainable. And so we began to explore the option of producing a more cost efficient and time friendly Beer Advent Calendar that could be enjoyed by everyone who wanted to join in the tradition.
We designed our Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas as tools for beer enthusiasts to try new beer that they’ve never had, for having fun with friends and coworkers during the holidays, and for introducing craft beer newbies to the large variety of beers currently available on the market. Here are some great ways to have fun with the Beer Advent Calendar and 12 Beers of Christmas
- Have your spouse or significant other fill your calendar so each day is a surprise to you. Better yet, fill one for your spouse!
- Give a full calendar or 12 Beers of Christmas as a gift for a beer enthusiast who has it all. Have them count how many beers they haven't had before!
- Save yourself the embarrassment of having to gift wrap beer. We've seen you screw up wrapping a dvd. Do you really think you can make beer look good in candy-cane wrapping paper?
- Track your favorite beers during the season using Untappd, BeerAdvocate, or your own rating spreadsheet (Don't be ashamed, we've got a beer spreadsheet with a pivot table including ABV, cost, and flavor. Yes...We've found the optimum beer using that data)
- Organize a beer exchange with 6 or more friends. Each person brings different 6-packs of beer and their Beer Advent Calendar or 12 Beers of Christmas, swap beers to fill each with different beers.
- Have the salesperson at your local craft beer store curate and fill your advent calendar or 12 Beers of Christmas
- Organize an all homebrewed version with your local homebrewing club.
- Fill a Beer Advent Calendar or 12 Beers of Christmas for a craft beer newbie. It's a great way for them to explore the wide range of craft beers available committing to a 6-pack of each beer.
Our patent pending Beer Advent Calendars will be manufactured of e-flute cardboard. The box design with be produced in the USA using a rapid die cutting machine. This process requires us to first create a master cutting die and print plates. We'll be using the funding from this project to create our cutting dies, as well as to manufacture the Beer Advent Calendars and ship them to you. Our initial order needs to be large enough to cover these costs.
Risks and challenges
This opportunity carries very little risk as the production process for our product does not vary significantly from typical corrugated box production.
We are experts of technical, design, and business related issues with suppliers and processes. If any issues are to arise in the quality of the boxes or the supply chain, our team can handle it. You are in great hands!
A common problem with Kickstarter or other crowdfunding projects is manufacturing and shipping delays. This represents the only notable risk for our project. We know that our backers need to have their Beer Advent Calendars in hand before December 1st to enjoy the product, and we've been obsessive about minimizing this risk (That's why we're marketing a Christmas product in the summer).
We've already completed the design, prototyping, and testing portion of our process. We've contacted manufacturers and will start production as soon as we have firm production numbers. To ensure that our product reaches you on time, we've built in a 4 week buffer to absorb any manufacturing or shipping delays. We are committed to getting your reward to you on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)