Newark Art Farmers' Scholarship Project
Newark Art Farmers' Scholarship Project
The Newark Art Farmers Project produces art for college scholarships and service trips while empowering participants and others.
The Newark Art Farmers Project produces art for college scholarships and service trips while empowering participants and others. Read more
Art Farmers--Youth empowerment through art, service to the local community, and service trips to help other communities.
Invest in the Art Farmers to receive an authentic piece of art, provide urban youth with college scholarships, and help youth go on service trips, with the ultimate goal being a trip to Puerto Rico to help rebuild houses and garden/ farm spaces, while focusing on self-sufficiency.
• 15 Newark youth ages 15-20 participated in the summer of 2017 in an urban farming entrepreneurial program. 10 of these youth have continued and developed the Art Farmers Project.
• Funding for the Art Farmers Project will be administered by Project U.S.E., but funding is not for Project U.S.E. as charity—it is for the specific project developed by the youth.
• Youth developed motto—“Planting Seeds of Love for a Better Future.”
• As part of project, the Youth will:
1) Focus on their individual growth while providing service both locally and in other communities.
2) Create a beautiful piece of art on a repurposed door. This door will be brought to historical Newark locations to help tell the story of our past. Photographs and Screen Printed images will be used to tell their story and that of their city. The story and images will be incorporated into a book that will touch all those who read it.
3) Explore their inner challenges and desires through artistic expressions in order to build towards their future.
4) Research urban history to inspire works of art.
• If project is funded:
1) Contributors will receive gift of art (depending upon level) as thank you for contribution.
2) 30% of contributions will go to youth participants as college scholarships. This percentage will not change no matter how much we raise!!!
3) Youth will travel with Project U.S.E. staff to Native American Reservation, and/or to Puerto Rico to help rebuild houses and farming sites, and provide self-sufficiency assistance. Our goal is to help everyone empower themselves so that we are resilient against natural and human-created disaster (Project U.S.E. facilitates food sovereignty and sustainability urban agricultural programs).
Project U.S.E. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and your contribution is tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Your contribution to this Kickstarter campaign is deductible at the level of contribution minus 5% payment processing fee minus the fair market value of the gift you receive. Once you make a contribution, Project U.S.E. will forward to you within 30 days after the fund-raising goal of the campaign is reached a receipt with the actual deductible value of your donation. Portion of contributions not going directly toward scholarships and rebuilding trips will support kick-starter processing fees, art gift production fees, shipping, and staffing costs allocated only toward the Art Farmers project.
Risks and challenges
We realize that there are any risks and challenges that come with trying to fulfill such a large project. This project is all about the journey that our staff will take with all of the participants over the next year. That's why we hope to incorporate you the contributor, in this process. We will also be putting out a bimonthly email to donors. You will be able to see our journey first hand.
Some of our participants are currently in college, so communication and meeting attendance will have to be done in different ways. We have already had two meetings and we are utilizing online meetups to deal with these challenges. I have full faith in the participants to fulfill their obligations to the project. There is also an added incentive for the youth participants to do extra work. If we exceed our goal, the percentage distribution set aside for scholarships, will be distributed strictly based off of the additional time they have put in above their agreed upon obligations.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)