Your handbook for learning and tasting food justice around the world. "A cookbook with politics as joyful as the food" (Raj Patel). Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 29, 2012.
About this project
Our Food, Our Right: Recipes for Food Justice is a new publication from the Community Alliance for Global Justice's Food Justice Project that combines hands-on tools for change with recipes and political awareness to engage YOU in joining the world-wide movement for food justice. The book promotes community knowledge sharing, self-sufficiency, accessibility, and food justice through a food sovereignty framework.
This book is for: The food curious, parents, students, activists, organizers, educators, cooks, locavores, future farmers, social entrepreneurs, and all those dedicated to food justice and strengthening local food systems. In other words…YOU.
We need to raise $10,000 for design and publishing costs, and we have already raised $6,000 with the help of our friends, so we're 60% to our goal already! Help us with the remaining $4,000 and all extra will go towards the cost of distribution—getting an amazing resource into the hands of change-makers far and wide.
A preview of the book, thanks to our designer and layout artist Annie Brulé
The Goods: What you get
- Stories: The stories take you on a journey through many of the current food system’s failures, and showcase creative solutions that communities around the Northwest and the world are designing to regain control over their food, and the health of their bodies and neighborhoods.
- Recipes: We bring you farm-fresh recipes from all over the globe, including those traditional to the Northwest. A great mix of beverages, appetizers, entrees and desserts are interspersed in each section of the book, beginning to end.
- How-to Guide: Get involved! We provide a DIY (do it yourself) guide to gardening, preserving & canning, backyard foraging, and tools for making your voice heard on the issues highlighted in the book.
- To see the table of contents: click here
Alleycat Acres, an urban farm in Seattle, profiled in the 2nd edition!
Our Idea: Another world is possible!
- Positive Change: The focus of the 2nd edition of Our Food, Our Right is positive changes happening to transform our food system both locally and globally. We give a peak into the struggles and success stories of a diverse group of people as we travel from Seattle, to Central and South America, to Africa, and beyond!
- Farmer Voices: Our Food, Our Right also provides a lens into the life and minds of local farmers and food justice organizers in the Seattle area who are contributing to sustainable farming practices and bridging the gap between their farm and your table.
- The Toolshed: This book provides you with the tools you need to take back your food choices and stand up for all people’s right to good, healthy, and culturally appropriate food!
This book is meant to inspire community participation, encourage activism, and empower people to take back their choices and their food system!
- This book is for: The food curious, parents, students, activists, organizers, educators, cooks, locavores, social entrepreneurs, all those dedicated to food justice and buying locally-sourced foods, basically everyone who eats food and wants to learn more about where it comes from and why it’s so important! In other words… YOU.
Tumaini Women's Group Seed-saving Workshop, Thika, Kenya, where CAGJ sent a delegation last year. Highlighted in the 2nd edition
Our Story: How it came about
- Who contributed: Over 60 people contributed stories, recipes, articles, guides, inspiration, and time to the project. Here is a sample of who you will find inside:
- Raj Patel Internationally-known food writer and activist, author of "Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System" and "The Value of Nothing"
- Lisa Taylor Author of "Your Farm in the City" with Seattle Tilth
- Elise Krohn and Valerie Segrest Native Nutrition Educators and authors of "Feeding the Spirit, Feeding the People"
- Chandler Briggs Local Organizer for the Washington Young Farmer's Coalition and farmer at Island Meadow Farms
- And many more...
- Many more people, like YOU, made this cool project possible by contributing time and money; your gifts help to give voice to our collective struggles to create a more just food system.
- Previous Success: The first edition of Our Food, Our Right was such a success that we went back to the printers three times! With the second edition, we are aiming to reach a wider audience by getting it into bookstores and libraries across the country as a high-quality bound softcover book. And, the focus is on positive change, and there is more than 80% new material in the 2nd edition, so it’s worth getting your hands on both the original and the new edition! Our efforts have been very well received so far. We’ve already raised over $5,500 through our network of friends and CAGJ's April Urban Food Justice Hike-a-Thon! Go team!
Thank you for your support!
Photo taken as we kicked off CAGJ's Food Justice Urban Hike-a-thon! in Seattle ...which raised an amazing $4400 for the book! You can help us raise the rest!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
CAGJ will give you a super enthusiastic shout-out on our website and facebook page!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
CAGJ will email you a lovely e-postcard of one of our favorite recipes from the book, and give you a shout-out on our website and facebook page!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or more
10 backers Limited (10 left of 20)
We'll send you a T-shirt with Nikki McClure art-work and "food" translated into many languages (Fair Trade, organic cotton, fitted and classic sizes).
See image of tshirt here:
Pledge $20 or more
11 backers Limited (4 left of 15)
We'll send you CAGJ's limited-edition Global Food Justice Poster, with Nikki McClure art-work, signed by the artist.
See image of poster here:
Pledge $25 or more
One copy of the 1st & 2nd editions of "Our Food, Our Right" sent to youEstimated delivery:
Pledge $40 or more
One copy of the 1st & 2nd editions of "Our Food, Our Right" sent to you, and one copy donated to your local libraryEstimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
11 backers Limited (24 left of 35)
One signed copy of the Special Edition of "Our Food, Our Right" signed by Raj Patel, internationally-known writer, activist, and academic, and author of the foreword to the 2nd editionEstimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
**For contributions of $50 and above, we will list your name on our sponsors page in the 2nd edition of "Our Food, Our Right", thank you on our website and on FacebookEstimated delivery:
Pledge $80 or more
1 backer All gone!
One copy of the 2nd edition of "Our Food, Our Right" and 2 Tickets to CAGJ's Strengthening Local Economies Everywhere! Dinner, July 14th in SeattleEstimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
Two copies of the 1st & 2nd editions of "Our Food, Our Right" sent to you, and 5 copies of the 2nd edition donated to a library of your choice (or from our list of 1200 libraries)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $125 or more
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
A Guided Tour of one of the Farms profiled in the book—your choice!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
Five copies of the 1st & 2nd editions of "Our Food, Our Right" sent to you, and 10 copies donated to libraries of your choice (or from our list of 1200 libraries)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $225 or more
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
One copy of the 2nd edition of "Our Food, Our Right" and Dinner For Two at 41 Legs Urban Farm in Seattle, run by CAGJ director Heather Day and her husband, chef and farmer, Travis EnglishEstimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
**For contributions of $250 and above, we will list your name on the sponsors page of the 2nd edition of "Our Food, Our Right", thank you on our website and at our annual dinnerEstimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
Ten copies of the 1st & 2nd editions of "Our Food, Our Right" sent to you, and 25 copies of 2nd edition to libraries of your choice (or from our list of 1200 libraries)Estimated delivery:
- (20 days)