The Variant Deck will now feature 17 different artists drawing so many incredible pictures. We are paying our artists, all progressive and talented creators.
We are also offering profit shares since the Kickstarter has done so well. As the Kickstarter grows, we will share 85% of the profits with the models and artists on top of their fee.
You are helping to support so many creators with this project! Thank you everyone for all of your overwhelming and amazing support!
What Is Feminist Deck?
Feminist Deck is a bunch of cards I drew with feminists on them. They'll include quotes from the women and information on how to support their work. Here's why you want to help out.
Why Did I Start Creating Feminist Deck?
Feminism has helped my life so much that I want to recognize the efforts of people who fight for gender equality.
A woman I admire pointed out that many of our feminist heroes or long dead and gone. As much respect as I have for her, you won't find Ada Lovelace in this deck. You will find women who are alive, vibrant, brilliant, with impressive ideals and bodies of work.
So, it's become increasingly clear to me that it's hard for women to get paid in this industry, which is why $10000 in the Kickstarter will go towards paying them modeling fees.
There's a lot of them. There's like sixty. And the number keeps trying to get bigger on me.
So, What’s the Plan?
What I'd like to do is pay each of the people involved as models for the project, take a small fee for myself, pay for the printing of the cards and other rewards, and then ship the sets to backers and also to the models. Then I'd like to make the cards available to the public.
This way, #feministdeck can do what I always wanted for the project to do: Support feminists in the industry. There is an option for participants to waive their modeling fee, in which case it will be applied to the other models, but for many of these women, you will be representing monetary compensation as well as promoting their work to a larger audience.
What’s Going to Get Made in This Kickstarter?
While the original Feminist Deck is still the focus of the Kickstarter campaign, the project has expanded into three different decks and other art perks in the different pledge levels. We’re still getting together stretch goals that might be added to this list (maybe even a FOURTH deck), but here’s what we’re definitely doing so far.
- The Main Deck: The main deck has 56 cards, each highlighting a feminist writer, artist, game dev, activist or other creator. Each card is in the style of the old Fleer Marvel trading cards, with a big picture (like this) on one side and facts, quotes and recommendations on where to find their work on the other side.
- The Variant Deck: The variant deck is a way for me to feature even more great feminist voices. This deck will be somewhere between 25 and 50 cards. Some will be the people who didn’t get into the first deck, some will be special art cards featuring the sword-and-arrows action shots I’ve been drawing of various participants while working on the project. It’ll be a fun mix.
- The Backer Playing Card Deck: A special deck to highlight some of our backers supporting the project! If you pledge $100, you can be one of the 56 backers with a card in the deck. This deck is particularly fun because it’ll be a standard deck of playing cards! EDIT: The backer deck reward tier is officially full! But if you want, you can still buy the deck at one of the other pledge levels.
- The #FeministDeck Comic: I’m also drawing a 12 page fantasy comic featuring Katherine Cross, Brianna Wu, Archivist Geek, Bianca J. Anderson and Tanya DePass. Final script will be reviewed and approved by all women involved, but the basic premise will be that our heroines learn that trolls (literally and figuratively) are at the gate! There are several pledge levels that include the comic.
- The #FeministDeck Coloring Book: A 30 page 5.5 x 8.5 inch coloring book featuring lineart from the different decks. The book will be suitable for all ages and perfect for coloring (obviously). You can buy the coloring book on its own or as an add-on for the other pledge levels.
- Other Fun Perks: Even if you don’t want one of the decks or the comic, some of the smaller pledge levels include a 4X6 inch thank you card. Backers at every level will get featured on the Feminist Deck thank you page.
Breaking Down the Costs
If we get funded, this is where the money will go:
$10000, which is a $150 "modeling fee" for participants.
This part is very important to me. #FeministDeck is about supporting women in the industry, and paying them for the use of their likenesses is the only way for this project to successfully do this.
Most of the women, though, have so far declined payment. For those participants who have decline being paid, this money will be PUT BACK TOWARDS THE OTHER MODELS. Thanks, Gamergate. =)
$3715 in printing costs.
$1100 for postage to ship rewards to backers.
$7500 for labor, Kickstart fees, taxes, unforeseen shipping costs, and emergency costs during the project's completion. The cushion is also important. This is my first time running a kickstarter and I may come up against fees I'm not sure about. I've done my best to carefully work out this budget with the help of people much more qualified than I am, but who knows, right? Not Kiva all the time.
This comes out to $22,315. In case there is a larger interest in the cards than I originally anticipated, and I have to do another run of deck and variant, I am adding a cost buffer and asking for $22,500.
Who Will Draw Feminist Deck?
I am doing so many cards, and the Kickstarter is doing so well, that we are hiring many artists to help us with our variant deck. You will still get exciting action shots from me, and also beautiful and incredible shots from women or agender/non-binary artists who need your support!
Kiva Bay (kivabay)
Francesca Dare (francescadare.tumblr.com)
Diana Moon (dianamoon.deviantart.com)
Rachel Germ (@per_phat_ion)
Alex Heberling (@alexheberling)
Magdalen Rose (jellyfish-station.deviantart.com)
Emily Madly (emilymadly.com)
Kimberly Parker (kimberlyparker.ca)
Rotem Shuval (rotemu.tumblr.com)
Who Will Be in Feminist Deck?
Below is a list of the twitter handles of people I’ve drawn since starting the project. Those in italics have agreed to participate and will definitely be part of the decks. The un-italicized are those I’m still getting a hold of to hopefully agree to be in the deck.
kivabay Here we go, I'll be in there, too.
This list may change and grow larger, but there will be 56 cards in the main deck, and then a second deck with variant art and anyone who didn't make it into the first deck.
Honestly, by the end of the month there may be 100 of them or more, so our stretch goal is to make yet another deck, this one a 56 deck of cards with suits on them so that you can play all feminist-bridge. Or solitaire. However you roll. ...Flip. Cards. This stretch goal isn't set in stone, but keep your eye out for an update soon.
Risks and challenges
So, I'm poor. The other parts of that money are for printing and shipping the cards and a very small fee for me to pay my rent for a couple months while I finish up the whole of the project. Currently there's over fifty colored pictures, and there's still pictures that need coloring. I'm working on this alone, so any extra money needs to go to paying for the project and also keeping me housed during that time.
This is my first Kickstarter, but I have people in my corner who have my back and have run successful Kickstarters before. I feel pretty confident.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)