About this project
Disc golf offers the world everything that is good about traditional golf, with none of the drawbacks and limitations. That is a pretty big claim, is it not? If true (and it is), the ramifications for both the near and more distant future are significant. Golf will indeed survive and even enjoy a renaissance in the years to come- it’ll just be a bit different than the version played with balls and clubs.
Golf is a great game, with centuries of tradition and unique aspects that can help us develop important life skills like patience, honesty, integrity, and self-control. However, the sport has always been inaccessible to a majority of the world for economic reasons, and more recent factors such as time constraints and environmental concerns have further eroded its popularity. Traditional golf is in slow, steady decline, and has been for decades. Yet disc golf is thriving, with an impressive growth rate that shows no signs of slowing down.
I wrote “The Disc Golf Revolution” to, first of all, publicize and back up this main assertion in detail, from every angle: Disc golf really does provide every material thing that is attractive and redeeming about golf while shedding all the big negatives. It’s a very big deal! And if you think disc golf is a silly, simplified version of a complex game, think again. That misconception is soundly dispelled in the book as well.
Another important goal was to tell the amazing story of how an informal game evolved into a thriving sport without commercial interests doing any of the heavy lifting. The way disc golf has spread to more than 3 million players on 7,000 courses across 40 countries almost exclusively through organic, grassroots efforts is unprecedented. It also unites people from different backgrounds on a level playing field as no sport has before.
The disc golf community is both tight-knit and inclusive, and most feel as strongly as I do about the special qualities of the game. I wrote this book for them as well, to give to their friends and family so others might understand the depth of passion that unites disc golfers.
My name is Jack Tupp. I'm a dedicated disc golf advocate and writer with connections to the sport that date back to the 1980's. I have some good 'Steady' Ed Headrick stories, and count numerous other Disc Golf Hall-of-Fame members and world champions among my friends- in addition to hundreds of other contributors to disc golf's amazing underground growth. Through my School of Disc Golf business, course-building efforts, and personal contacts I've helped introduce thousands to the game.
I’ve already published one disc golf book, called “Three Paths to Better Disc Golf,” and the eBook is included in all of the reward tiers for this campaign. In addition to hundreds of instructional posts at my award-winning School of Disc Golf blog, I have contributed material to All Things Disc Golf and Rattling Chains.
The book is 100 percent complete. The manuscript is more than 80,000 words long, so it should end up at around 300 pages. The chapters are listed and detailed below.
(Chapter titles subject to change)
- Golf 2.0- Lists all that is great about the traditional game of golf along with the many obstacles that keep it out of reach for most of the world. Goes point-by-point to make the case that disc golf retains all the attractive elements of golf while obliterating all of the barriers
- The History of Disc Golf- A very different take on the history of disc golf, tracing both golf and the flying disc as far back into history as possible
- The Organic, Free-range Growth of Disc Golf- An important chapter explaining the unique growth path of a sport that seems tailor-made for the 21st century. It is broken down into the following sections: Player Growth; Course Growth: the pioneer spirit in action; Local Disc Golf Club Growth; Competition Growth; and Grassroots Growth in the News- a sampling of disc golf news stories from a random three-week period
- Disc golf today: Who plays, where they play, and how- An examination of who plays disc golf, where they play, and the popular formats
- Wellness Through Disc Golf- Explains why disc golf is a perfect activity for those who need exercise and/or stress release and usually find excuses (cost, time, schedule, judgment) for not getting it The
- The Egalitarian Sport- Another chapter that delves into disc golf’s significance extending beyond the realm of sports, it explains how disc golf has been equal opportunity since its inception and why it seems destined to remain so
- Start Playing Today!- Designed to enable readers who by this point in the book are excited to give it a try to hit the ground running, this chapter answers the following questions: How do I find the closest courses? What do I need to get? What are the rules? How do I learn to play?
- The finer points of the game- This chapter includes info typical to a how-to book, but with a twist consistent with the overall theme of the book. It will convince the reader how much more complex disc flight - and therefore the sport - is than they might have previously understood it to be. The idea is to fully dispel the belief that disc golf is just "tossing a Frisbee" again and again. Sections include: Tools of the Trade; Throwing techniques; The many ways to control the flight of a disc (I enlist the help of a physicist who is also a disc golfer for this section)
- Disc Golf Lingo- A fun chapter sharing some of the lingo and even local dialects unique to disc golf
- Disc Golf in the Context of Other Sports, Games & Hobbies- Another light chapter that shows how disc golf includes the best qualities of other more familiar and established sports & games
- Disc Golf on the Road- A reference chapter on how to play anywhere you go
- A Panacea for Modern Problems- A connect-the-dots chapter that matches the accessibility and broad appeal of disc golf with some of the 21st century’s most pressing social issues
- The Future of Disc Golf- The author’s take on the future of a sport that in some ways is rapidly evolving, but in others remains true to its wholly informal beginnings
We’ve come up with three different shirt designs, and backers can choose to have the design of their choice printed on either a soft cotton blend t-shirt, a long sleeve dri-fit shirt, or a short sleeve dri-fit polo shirt, as long the appropriate reward tier is selected. Backers will use the online questionnaire to inform us of shirt size, garment choice, and design choice as soon as the campaign ends.
- Shirt Design #1- Small PlayDiscGolf logo on the front, with a graphic depicting a grid of the Play DiscGolf logo in eight languages (including sign language!), along with the slogan "No language barriers. No cultural barriers. No barriers, period. The Disc Golf Revolution is for Everyone" on the back
- Shirt Design #2- Small PlayDiscGolf logo on the front, and on the back a replica of "The Disc Golf Revolution" book cover
- Shirt Design #3- Small PlayDiscGolf logo on the front. On the back, a larger Play DiscGolf logo along with the words "Join Us!"
All backers at the $20 tier and above will receive a set of two Zing Pico ‘can-topper’ mini discs. One is printed with the Play DiscGolf logo, and the other with one of our “The Disc Golf Revolution” graphics.
And ALL backers will receive an eBook of my first disc golf book called "Three Paths to Better Disc Golf." It consists of more than 200 pages and 30 chapters of instruction and insights to help you score better and have more fun, broken into three distinct approaches: philosophical, strategic, and tactical.
Timeline & Budget
The funds raised through this Kickstarter campaign will help me cover the cost of artwork and design for the book cover and internal layout, initial setup costs with our on-demand printing vendor, and a final round of copyediting. These final stages of the book are already underway. I estimate being ready to begin printing books and shipping rewards by late July, but the timeline below reflects three weeks of “buffer time” to account for any minor, unforeseen delays.
All reward tiers are set at a level that ensures backers receive reasonable value for their support while still providing the necessary funding to complete and ship the books and other rewards. In addition to overhead costs and shipping related to reward items, the following amounts are accounted for in project budget estimates:
Risks and challenges
The book is 100 percent written, and the cover design is complete. We're using an on-demand printing service for the paperback version of the book that fulfills orders in several days, and a local source for garment printing with whom we've worked for more than a decade.
Because this book is being produced by a small but dedicated creative team, real-life issues could result in delays to the schedule. Nonetheless, we provided a conservative delivery estimate and fully expect to ship all rewards on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)