Total Commander is an online CCG (collectible card game) where you command armies similar to those in the Command and Conquer series.
Total Commander is an online CCG (collectible card game) where you command armies similar to those in the Command and Conquer series. Read more
TOTAL COMMANDER - INTRO
Total Commander is an online CCG (collectible card game) where you command an army of soldiers, tanks, airplanes, artillery, special forces and more in order to achieve global domination! Similar to the classic real-time strategy game Command & Conquer, Total Commander features lots of strategy and war, only Total Commander is a CCG instead of a RTSG.
The game features 4 different factions:
- Freedom Fighters (USA)
- Euro Alliance (Europe)
- Crucial Liberation Army (Terrorist)
- Dragon Power (Asia)
Each faction features it's own unique cards and strategies, making for an in-depth deck building and playing experience.
Sample cards for each faction are below:
FREEDOM FIGHTERS (USA) - SOLDIER OF FREEDOM
The "Soldier of Freedom" is the basic soldier unit for the Freedom Fighters faction. Cheap to play, and capable of providing ground strike support, the Soldier of Freedom comes in handy for a variety of game situations.
FREEDOM FIGHTERS (USA) - F-22 RAPTOR
Freedom Fighter's "F-22 Raptor" is a superb fighting force, capable of providing both air and ground support. Although expensive to play, the F-22 Raptor can provide great advantages during a game, and place the opponent in a tough spot at the same time.
EURO ALLIANCE (EUROPE) - PARATROOPER
The Euro Alliance's "Paratrooper" is a versatile, tactical unit, and can surprise the opponent in many ways during a game. An example of one such use is when a player is being thwarted by an opponent's Hijacker attempting to steal a vehicle. If an opponent attempts a mission with their Hijacker to steal a player's vehicle, that player can play their Paratrooper (as if it were an instant), and defend against the Hijacker from completing its mission!
EURO ALLIANCE (EUROPE) - AIR DROP
The "Air Drop" provides a player with just the right military support, at just the right time! Use your Air Drop and help get yourself back into the game.
CRUCIAL LIBERATION ARMY (TERRORIST) - SUICIDE BOMBER
Look out for the Crucial Liberation Army's Suicide Bomber! This crazy guy packs a punch. For 300 credits, you get a guy that can do 5 damage, enough to destroy a tank. Too bad you lose him after he attacks.
CRUCIAL LIBERATION ARMY (TERRORIST) - HIJACKER
The "Hijacker" of the Crucial Liberation Army is a cruel dude who can really turn the tables. Use him to steal an opponent's tank, jeep, or other vehicle and really change the outcome of the game.
DRAGON POWER (ASIA) - DRAGON TANK
Dragon Power's "Dragon Tank" is a strong, powerful tank, providing effective ground support for the red army. Fairly inexpensive, yet strong, the Dragon Tank is ready for battle and delivers a mighty punch when needed.
DRAGON POWER (ASIA) - SHENYANG J-11
The "Shenyang J11" of the red army is versatile, tactical, and highly maneuverable fighter plane. Capable of delivering both air and ground support, the Shenyang J11 provides many options during a game, helping a player on its way to victory!
TOTAL COMMANDER - FREE TO PLAY
Total Commander will be a free-to-play CCG very similar to other online CCGs (like Hearthstone). The player will be able to buy card packs using 'tickets' (similar to gold in Heartstone) that a player can earn by playing Total Commander. The player will also have the option to buy packs using real money as well.
OTHER TOTAL COMMANDER DETAILS
Unlike other online CCGs, Total Commander will feature larger decksizes (around 80 cards) and have a draw size of 2 cards per turn. This will allow for larger armies and bigger battles for the player to experience!
Many of the cards in Total Commander will have an 'unlimited' card limit to placed in a deck. For example, a player wishing to create a soldier-only deck will be allowed to place 20 "Soldier of Freedom"s in their deck, along with other soldiers such as rocket soldiers, grenadiers, and snipers. However, stronger military units (such as the F22 Raptor) maybe be limited to only 5.
Legendary Cards ("Heroes"):
Total Commander will also feature "legendary" units (heroes) as well. The details as to what kind of heroes will be available in Total Commander are yet to be determined, however you can expect to see heroes similar to Colonel Burton, Black Lotus, and Jarmen Kell from the Command and Conquer series.
TOTAL COMMANDER RULES
- A unit has a power value indicated by the machine gun icon in the bottom right of the card.
- The power value of a unit indicates how much damage it does to other units. For example, if a unit has a power of 1, this unit is capable of doing 1 damage in battle (assuming it has sufficient range, see "Range" below)
- A unit has a health value indicated by the heart icon in the bottom right of the card.
- The health value of a unit indicates how much damage it can withstand before being destroyed For example, if a unit has 3 health, then it would take 3 damage to destroy this unit. NOTE: Damage does not automatically 'heal' at the end of a turn. For example, if a unit has a health of 3, and then takes 2 damage on turn 1, and then takes 1 damage on turn 2, it is destroyed on turn 2.
- Describe the physical nature of the unit (ie soldier, vehicle, airplane, etc)
- When two units engage in battle, the range (and range type) of both units are compared. If both ranges are equal, then both units deal damage to each other. If one unit has a greater range than the other, then only the greater range unit deals damage. Note also that range type must be properly compared too. For example:
When Soldier of Freedom engages in battle with Paratrooper, both units deal 1 damage to each other. This is because both units have a power of 1, both have a ground range of 1, and both units are ground units.
When Soldier of Freedom engages in battle with Dragon Tank, Dragon Tank deals 4 damage to Soldier of Freedom (Soldier of Freedom does not deal any damage). This is because Dragon tank has a power of 4, and also has a ground range of 2 compared to Soldier of Freedom's ground range of 1. Note also that both units are ground units.
When Soldier of Freedom engages in battle with Shenyang J11, Shenyang J11 deals 4 damage to Soldier of Freedom (Soldier of Freedom does not deal any damage), This is because Shenyang has a power of 4, and also a ground range of 2. Since Shenyang has a ground range, and Soldier of Freedom does not have an air range, only the Shenyang deals damage. Note that Soldier of Freedom is a ground unit, and Shenyang is an air unit.
NOTE: If Shenyang J11 did not have a ground range, then neither the Soldier of Freedom nor Shenyang J11 would deal damage. This is because Soldier of Freedom is a ground unit and Shenyang does not have a ground range, and Shenyang J11 is an air unit and Soldier of Freedom does not have an air range.
When Rocket Soldier engages in battle with Shenyang J11, Rocket Soldier deals 3 damage to Shenyang J11 (Shenyang does not deal any damage). This is because Rocket Soldier has a power of 3, and also has an air range of 3 compared to Shenyang's ground range of 2. Note that Rocket Soldier is a ground unit (thus, Shenyang has a range of 2) and Shenyang is an air unit (thus, Rocket Soldier has a range of 3).
- if a unit is Indefensible, then it cannot be defended against. The unit being attacked by the Indefensible unit still engages in battle with the Indefensible unit, but the opponent cannot choose a defender to defend against this attack.
- If a unit has a 'mission' associated with it, and is ready, then the unit can attempt that mission anytime during the unit's controller's turn. To attempt the mission, commit the unit. The opponent then has the option to choose a ready unit he/she controls to retaliate against the unit performing the mission. If the unit attempting the mission is destroyed by the retaliating unit, the mission is unsuccessful. However, if the unit attempting the mission is not destroyed, or the opponent does not choose a ready unit to retaliate against the unit, then the mission is successful.
Retaliate - When a unit A retaliates against unit B, commit unit A. These two units then engage in battle
- During a player's turn, the player can choose to attack with a ready unit he/she controls. The player can choose to either attack the player's command center, or can choose to attack a specific unit the opponent controls. In either case, the opponent can choose to defend against this attack with a ready unit he/she controls.
If the opponent does not choose a defender, then the attacking unit engages in battle (either with the command center if that was chosen, or with the unit the attacking unit chose to attack)
If the opponent chooses a defender, the defending unit is committed and the attacking unit engages in battle with the defending unit.
- When two units engage in battle, they exchange damage according to the "Attack/Armor", "Unit Type", and "Range" rules defined above.
Total Commander will initially be available for PC, Mac, and Linux platforms (Phase 1), but will later be extended to Android and iOS platforms as well (Phase 2).
Risks and challenges
There are two risks that need to be addressed when undertaking this project. They are as follows:
1) What will happen if Total Commander becomes too bogged down by user traffic and will not be able to perform as expected while playing it?
Total Commander will be hosted on a cloud-based solution (such as Amazon Web Services) allowing it to 'grow' in server size when required in order to handle server traffic. It should be noted that the creators of Total Commander are very keen on having products that perform quickly, so plenty of server resources will be allocated in order to provide quick, fast gameplay to all users.
2) What about security? Will Total Commander allow me to store my credit card on their servers to allow for convenience of buying in-game items (such as card packs) with ease?
The creators of Total Commander are not security experts, but it is definitely planned to have Total Commander received by a security consulting firm (multiple times if necessary) in order to ensure that Total Commander is a 'secure' product.
If there are any other risks/concerns raised by anyone who is on Kickstarter, they will be addressed in the Project FAQs (in a timely fashion)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)