Wormhole Ventures - Inspired by Starways and M.U.L.E.
Wormhole Ventures - Inspired by Starways and M.U.L.E.
Space economic strategy and colonial exploitation. Playable Windows and Mac downloads are available on the kickstarter page.
Space economic strategy and colonial exploitation. Playable Windows and Mac downloads are available on the kickstarter page. Read more
About this project
This game takes place in the Irataton Expanse. This is a region of the galaxy that is only reachable by a wormhole which is only open during the month of January every year. Recently, the Galactic Federation has announced that the Irataton Expanse is open for business. You are the representative of a corporation and with your seed money and command ship you are rushing into the Expanse to colonize and exploit the area for the benefit of your corporation. The Galactic Federation has stated that ideally you will help stabilize the region and establish a thriving interplanetary community. *Mad laughter!* - You might even accomplish this if you are not busy trying to sabotage the actions of the other corporations.
- Inspired by the game M.U.L.E. (see video for Planet M.U.L.E.)
- Inspired by a board game prototype called Starways by Deva Winblood which has no similarity to M.U.L.E.
- Is a Real Time Economics game set in space where you explore and establish colonies, fight off pirates, handle alien infestations, all in pursuit of corporate power.
- Features a space scene where most of the events occur.
- Features an economics scene inspired by M.U.L.E. where goods are traded.
- Has an easy AI and is currently single player.
You do not have to pledge anything or wait to try this out. You can download a single player early alpha build which supports 1 - 8 players. The other 7 players would of course be the Easy AI.
We have a set list of goals we need the funding to complete. We also have some stretch goals. The minimum funding are the features we think need to be completed to make this project even worth pursuing. These features are:
- Single Player and Scenarios - We want to make a strong and entertaining single player experience. We plan to make mission based scenarios that will also act as a play as you learn tutorial. This was not our initial plan but, after talking with backers this makes more sense then going for multiplayer first. (See stretch goals)
- Art Improvement - We have access to artists that can help us improve the look of the game ,but they cannot work for free.
- Better AI - Deva made the Easy AI just to demo the game ,but he knows how to make much better AIs,
- Events - additional game events added
- Where did we come from before colonizing the planet?
- What is the bigger picture?
- Where did the pirates come from?
- Support for 1 player and up to 7 additional Easy AIs with 5 distinct randomly chosen AI personalities
- Language support - You'll have to forgive any translation errors we used Google Translate to localize this game. If you pledge to be Alpha or Beta tester level and want to help us correct any translation errors it would be more than welcome. Current languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Russian
- Sector Types: Nebula, Empty, Barren, Habitable, Hostile, and Asteroids level 1 - 3
- Alien Scouts
- Alien Warships
- Alien Infestations and Outbreaks
- 6 resource types
- Other means of acquiring wealth: Gambling, Science, Courier, Bounty, Rent, and Toll
- Real Time - there are no turns in this game.
- Old music written on a Commodore Amiga in the 90s that we were going to replace ,but someone told us we should keep it in.
- Male and Female characters
- Player constructed spaceports
- Patrol Craft (Police)
There are a lot of other neat ideas we would like to implement ,but they do not fall into the MUST HAVE category. Each stretch goal will be indicated at what level of funding we will pursue that and how much time we expect that to add to the development time. If you are an Alpha level backer this will not matter as much because, you'll have the game as we add these things.
STRETCH GOAL #1: Corporations ($21,000 unlocks + 14 days):
This stretch goal if met we will introduce the ability for players to choose from a list of corporations at the beginning of the game. Each corporation will have a special ability, and possibly some disadvantages. An example of this might be "The Darkwell Conglomerate" being a corporation sponsored by pirates. This player can increase the pirate activity in the Expanse and can receive a portion of any "loot" that pirates manage to collect.
STRETCH GOAL #2: Hireable Crew ($27,000 unlocks + 28 days):
This stretch goal if met will introduce hireable crew. You will be able to hire one crew member for your ship. They will randomly appear at the main Starbase at the Wormhole or possibly at player constructed Spaceports. Each crew member will offer their own changes to the game.
STRETCH GOAL #3: Mystery Sectors ($33,000 unlocks + 42 days):
This stretch goal will introduce mystery sectors that will be unknown until someone visits them with their command ship. These mystery sectors will potentially alter the course of the game. They may be good, and they may be bad. This would add to the existing sector types and add more variance to the game.
STRETCH GOAL #4: Scenario Editor ($39,000 unlocks + 56 days):
This stretch goal will introduce a scenario editor. This will enable the creation of predesigned scenarios that can be played in single player. We will have a basic tool of a scenario editor with the basic funding of this project but, it will not be ready for you to make your own scenarios. So, this stretch goal indicates we will clean it up so, you can make your own scenarios.
STRETCH GOAL #5: Campaign Editor ($45,000 unlocks + 70 days):
This stretch goal will introduce a campaign mode which will enable linking scenarios together as a larger campaign. We will also develop a campaign. This will include a way for you to create campaigns as well.
STRETCH GOAL #6: Multiplayer ($70,000 unlocks + 120 days):
This stretch goal if we reach it will unlock multiplayer. This was going to be our initial goal but, there seemed to be stronger interest in making a playable and fun single player experience first. Therefore, many things that were previously in the stretch goals are now in the basic funding and the multiplayer has been pushed out as a stretch goal.
If by some miracle you pledge more than all of the stretch goals we will view this as your interest in the game and we will commit to adding more features. For every $6000 beyond that stretch goal we will commit an additional week to adding more features. These goals will not delay the game. This is a time commitment to add more features after we release the game.
Under each reward to the right we have a month listed. This is a tentative date of when we expect to make that available. You will note that the beta and alpha level access levels show earlier months. This is not when the final product will ship but, when we expect you would have access to the alpha or beta if you pledged at that level.
All of these dates will be shifted a little further out if stretch goals are met. This is due to us needing to make more things before we meet those qualifications. The estimated length to add to the wait is listed as + and a number of days for each stretch goal. If you have ALPHA LEVEL access pledged you will still have access to the alphas as soon as they become available. You will also have a chance to give input into the game as it is being developed.
This is our first kickstarter project and we are very committed to its success. Our aim is to make games that we like to play. We also tend to prefer games that are not linear and have a lot of replay value. If we develop linear games then we already know the outcome so, they end up not being very fun for us to play. We will commit to making games we ourselves like to play.
With that said after we have delivered this game we have many other games waiting for us to pursue. We view Kickstarter as being similar to the Patron during the Renaissance. This is better though. We the people of the world now can back projects we like. If you like our projects we will give you more in the future.
RTS - Harvest of Souls
"Did anybody else play the "Harvest of Souls" mod for the original Neverwinter Nights? The best fantasy RTS I ever played, and it was basically a one-man show writing it. Playing an aspiring God you competed with your rivals to harvest souls for victory. Team options were undead, spiders (plus drow natch), orcs/ogres/giants, and dwarves. All sorts of options for multiplayer, and a reasonable AI to compete/coop against. Just great fun."
ALTERNATE COMBAT ANIMATIONS
"Scripted Waypoints Hey there Deva, glad to see you are still in the NWN Community! I still owe you one for the hotfix you made for me for NPC Activities 4.0 back in the day!"
We solemnly pledge 5% of the profits from the finished product back to the Kickstarter community to help fund other people's dreams.
Support this project
- (30 days)