The first Multimedia Event tour featuring Eerie Von's Fiend Art and photo's from behind the scenes of the Misfits, Danzig, and Samhain. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on April 9, 2011.
About this project
Artist, Photographer, Musician, and Author, Eerie Von, is known as the Bass player from the Goth Punk band Samhain, and the Gothic rock/metal band Danzig.
Since 1999 he's been creating his Fiend Art, but has never done a public showing. After 12 years in his artist studio and completion of well over 200 paintings, Eerie is ready to share his more private works with both his fans and the arts community.
Eerie's fans want him to perform, show his Fiend Art and Photography, and do a low-key book signing appearance for the his new book Misery Obscura: The Photography of Eerie Von (1981-2009). Eerie truly enjoys spending time and meeting the fans that have followed him and the bands he's been in since 1983; In fact, for years he has dedicated his time to cultivating this connection with his fans.
In response to the fans and their vast ideas, Eerie would like to create an "Event Tour" showcasing Photos and Fiend art from his new book. This would likely be a ONE-NIGHT Multimedia EVENT Tour of 7-10 cities, intimate venues/ galleries, a Q &A, and an informal live acoustic music performance (with guest artists on back-up~TBA). The FIEND art may be available for viewing in select "gallery" locations for one week or more.
As a growing trend, "Misery Obscura: The ART and Photography of Eerie Von,” stands to be a much needed continuation for future artists, and their installments from this vein of the underground arts community.
What is Misery Obscura?
Best described as:
“Misery Obscura is the result of 28 years behind the camera,...filled with extraordinary memories, from The Misfits and The Necros to Danzig and Metallica. Punk rock and Heavy Metal, devil-locks and lots of Karo syrup...scrapbook-style stories of triumph and damnation bring to life an era the likes of which will never again be seen. This is the brief history of those bands and more during one of the most fertile and inspired eras in music history. A time of hand-made t-shirts, leather boots, b-movies and fiend clubs.” (The Left Hand Path, March 2010)
“My one complaint...not have enough of Eerie Von’s own fiend art and recent photography. His artwork is “incredible”. I honestly want some on my wall...It does make me happy that he is getting back out into the world and spooking things up. ...Come on Eerie, we want more.” (Inked by Hydro)
“I’ve had been planning this book for twenty years, The fans have been begging for it almost as long. It's been a great ride, and I’m glad to be able to share some of it with those who were there, and those who wish they were.” ( Eerie Von)
The Multimedia Event:
Eerie Von's lens has documented everything from The Misfits' humble beginnings as the band's unofficial photographer in Lodi, New Jersey, to the heights of Danzig's stadium-rock glory alongside metal superstars Metallica. These photos are an essential visual document of music history. From the trained photographer who witnessed it first hand.
Eerie has selected a series of these photo's for both enlargement, as well as display. Lesser seen images from the book and Eerie's private collection, presented in Black and White, as they were intended to be seen. It's a public glimpse into the private world of the influential bands he worked with.
The Fiend Art:
In 1999 Eerie started painting and selling his Fiend Art full time. Themes and inspiration for his "Fiend Art" continue to be all things Dark, from Classic Horror Films, to the sub- conscience, to the Horrors inspired by real Life experiences.
After completing over 200 paintings as an untrained artist, Eerie Von's work has evolved tremendously. The Misery Obscura Fiend Art Collection, is a series of paintings which strongly represent an important sub-culture of music history.
With Samhain's dark, gritty, and experimental combination of punk, Gothic rock, and later, heavy metal music, it was an underground music community which continually fueled Von's creativity.
As Eerie had done for Rosemary's Babies and The Misfits, he crafted his designs into band t-shirts, he dabbled in graphic arts for record cover designs, as well as, performance flyers. He continued as the band's photographer, taking behind the scene shots; However, not only did Eerie Von's photos capture this important period in music history, his Art is the emotional expression of it.
Eerie Von's Fiend Art, which was more publicly introduced in Misery Obscura, is an abstract continuation of these journey's. This "Fiend Art" not only stems from influences as a youth, but it's a remnant of his punk rock past, the events, and personal turmoil. The works may represent resolutions somewhat, but Eerie prefers to let the viewer decide what it means to them personally.
As Eerie stated in a recent interview, “Subject matter mostly comes right out of my head, just like the songs do, that's why the paintings are so different sometimes, and why I have a few styles.”
When are THE EVENTS:
We have pre-selected cities in the US for Eerie's Tour, locations have yet to be finalized, primarily because the final cities are contingent on the initial GOAL being met. If we meet the goal, you can count on it beginning in 2011. Weeks before the First Event, we promise we will give you a heads up through project updates. The remaining tour dates are to be set prior to this OPENING event.
UPDATE: We have received interest from multiple respected venues. Eerie is determined to create an event in an accessible format for his fans, therefore, meeting this criteria is a primary goal. We will be announcing the cities and their locations when we near the Kickstarter goal (of course, if that does happen). We continue to welcome interest from potential locations within the US.
WHAT IS THE Kickstarter GOAL FUNDING:
The Goal which we set by actual estimates, represents the bare minimum for a tour like this to begin. The remaining funds must come from alternate funding. This GOAL would fund a portion of the actual products discussed in the Pledge rewards; Additionally, funds represent components of the promo packages which are required by many Art Venue's; A portion of the lodging Per diem rate expense for travel, the ACTUAL duplication of the enlargements, including framing; And the preservative framing of the FIEND art for Gallery display.
Graphic production, artist management, and planning expenses have not been included in this kickstarter campaign, as we are well on our way with production. The actual book, "Misery Obscura: The Photography of Eerie Von (1981-2006),” was published, and is already reaching the end of stock for it's second printing via Dark Horse Publications. Any additional funds, if we are that fortunate, will go directly into this project, thus supporting multiple product availability, including the possibility of a new title, FIEND Art, and additional ventures in the planning stage.
PLEDGE REWARD (gift) DETAILS:
As Envisioned, this is more than Eerie's FIRST ART showing...it's a first for Art prints, Poster Art Prints, and Photo enlargements (of this scale). It's the creation of an Event, souvenirs, an Art Program, and a potential Fiend Art Book.
*Please note, pledge packages are not necessarily accumulative. All artwork, photo's, and art prints come with a signed Certificate of Authenticity.
1) LOBBY CARD: The Limited edition Postcard of Eerie's ART EVENT IS THEMATICALLY DESIGNED LIKE A 1930'S Era “LOBBY CARD.” Printed on 6” X 11” Thick 14 pt. gloss cover with glossy sheen and UV archival coating. This is an offset printed limited run>ONLY AVAILABLE FOR KICKSTARTER PLEDGES> This is image 1 of the series which will be coordinated with all future art events.
AND AT LOWER PLEDGE levels, will be complete with A thank you note from Eerie on the back. We are going to further ATTEMPT to have them POSTMARKED THE DAY OF THE OPENING EVENT.
2) PRINTS: Two highly anticipated photo releases from the book: "The Cave" at 11x17, and "Glenn at Elvis's Grave" at 11x14; Printed Kodak Endura Professional Paper, archiving ability exceeds 100 years. Metallic finish: High gloss finish with tear resistant laminate layers, 3-Dimensional/ metallic appearance, Has been described as "chrome on paper," State-of-the-art image stability.
Including the show enlargements, ALL Photos are FIRST EDITION prints, taken from the negatives and approved by Von himself, each image is available in a strictly limited, numbered, and signed edition. First available to Kickstarter exclusively, items are limited.
3) THE PROGRAM: The official "Misery Obscura: The Art and Photography of Eerie Von," Multi-media Tour Event companion. This brochure will be printed on quality paper, sized at 8.5 X 5.5, Full color,16 pages+ the cover at minimum. (+SIGNED AT SOME PLEDGE LEVELS). This will not be available for purchase, reserved for the EVENT attendees.
4) The ACCORDION FOLD SET: Two different Accordion Fold Event Souvenirs; limited quantity, each is a first run set of Misery Obscura PHOTOGRAPHIC images and Misery Obscura: The FIEND art from this collection. The card sets consist of: Five double-sided 3.5 x 5" folded panels, printed on premium cardstock with envelope. (ONLY available at Event and to Kickstarter)
5) The BOOK: Misery Obscura: The Photography of Eerie Von (1981-2009), Hard-bound, FIRST edition, SIGNED AT SOME PLEDGE LEVELS, 160 page, full color. The career spanning book of photographs and memoirs showcasing a behind the scenes look at the "Horror Business." With his now famous "Cave" photos of The Misfits, the Book is widely acclaimed by fans and critics alike, for it's candid stories, and many never before seen photographs.
Featuring layout and design by Tom Bejgrowicz, who conceived and executed the release of the infamous Misfits “Coffin Box.”
6) THANK YOU IN PROGRAM: Available at some levels, NAME is "as supplied" at Kickstarter end, and subject to errors and omissions, you may also list as anonymous:
PROGRAM SUPPORTER: Your name on the last page (inside back cover) of the official Misery Art Tour Program. Listed in the Supporter category.
PROGRAM SPONSOR: Your name on the BACK page (back cover) of the official Misery Art Tour Program. Listed in the Sponsor category.
PROGRAM BENEFACTOR (special): A special Thank you along with your name on the FIRST page of the official Misery Art Tour Program. Listed in bold print in the Benefactor category. OR using your company's logo in a min. 1.5” X 1.5” size. PLEASE NOTE: We must receive your specifications at end of kickstarter term for program placement. Any pledger who does not send graphic for logo insertion within 2 days of kickstarter end will be assumed as placement using pledger's name. Graphics subject to approval by Eerie Von. (must be 300 dpi, jpeg, CMYK color)
7) The VENUE Poster: 24 X 36, The Printed Poster advertisement for the Event, this version is reserved/ limited to VENUE use distribution only, Mailed folded, unless specified. Available only to Kickstarter. Signed by Eerie at some pledge levels.
8) Eerie's FIRST FIEND ART Print: An 18 X 24 The first Artist Print released by Eerie Von. First addition, limited run (500), Signed by Eerie Von; This is first available to kickstarter pledges only. Shipped In the collectable Event tube. Printed on Premium photo quality poster paper, Fade-resistant archival Inks.
SIGNED~ Eerie's FIRST FIEND ART PRINT~ PROOF (AP), available at some pledge levels. Signed Artist Proof limited to 50> This is first available to kickstarter pledges only. Shipped In collectable Event tube.
9) PHOTO ENLARGEMENT: Your choice of one 18 X 24 (this will be 1 of 5 available) Enlargements from show. Tentatively scheduled to be a Limited edition series of 12 prints, mailed in collectable Tube. Black and white Photo enlargement, taken from original neg's, signed by Eerie. You will make your selection via A private Email viewing. Selection will need to be made PRIOR to the first show or this will become Eerie's choice for you.
10) NEW*: One 8 X 10 Photo from Misery Obscura, taken at "Loc Ness," Black and White print. FIRST EDITION print, taken from the negatives and approved by Von himself, each image is strictly limited. Available to Kickstarter exclusively.
Can I increase my pledge once it’s been made?
YES! Once you donate to the campaign, you may change your incentive reward to a different one, or increase your pledge amount. To do so, go to Kickstarter and sign in. If you go to our campaign page, the green “Back This Project” button has been replaced with a blue “Manage Your Donation” button. Click it and you can enter a new amount.
All prices already include USPS Priority or First Class mail shipping.
*For Canada, please add $7, All other countries, please add $9. to the pledge total to aid with USPS Priority Mail rates, otherwise we may need to ship via media mail.
We can only collect shipping information once the project funding period is completed. If your pledge does not process via Amazon, it may be necessary to set up a new, separate account which would then give you the option of a foreign address.
Upon successful completion: We will set up a calendar for gift fulfillment.
What happens if this doesn't fund in time?
What happens if the money isn’t raised in time? Unfortunately, the tour will simply not be feasible, on this scale, at this time. The Goal represents only half of what is needed to stage an Event tour of this nature.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (35 days)