About this project
SubPac represents a revolution in the listening experience, allowing you to Feel Your Music. It connects you to a new dimension in sound – the physical dimension.
To learn about the SubPac and its artist supporters, come visit: TheSubPac.com
SubPac is built on the following law:
SubPac is a tactile audio technology that is portable, light and quiet.
Our engineering team has combined powerful tactile speaker technology, polymers and electronics in a light, compact form factor.
This is not a simple ‘vibration device.’ It’s more like a quiet, high-end sub-woofer that generates a dynamic, rich and accurate tactile representation of whatever sound you input - whether from your favorite tracks, games or movies.
The SubPac does NOT separate the audio signal into lows vs. mids/highs like a traditional sub-woofer crossover. It transfers low frequencies to the body while maintaining the original signal to your headphones / external speaker system. In addition the SubPac does not utilize artificial bass enhancement effects; rather, it delivers a flat, true signal to the user.
With a frequency response from 5Hz to 130Hz, SubPac is the ultimate solution for experiencing low frequencies.
- Creates an immersive listening experience.
- Experience the visceral club/live atmosphere, anytime.
- Re-connect with your entire music catalog.
- Quiet to the outside world – no noise complaints.
- Creates a higher state of relaxation.
- Can be used anywhere – car, home, office etc.
- Ideal for music, films and games.
- Allows you to properly monitor low frequencies (more accurately feel the difference between bass, kick and sub-bass etc.)
- Experience your track/mix as if it were being played in a club system.
- Flat response with no EQ or compressors. SubPac provides the true signal.
- Portable: you can produce with the proper frequency spectrum on the go – plane, hotel, café, train etc.
- Can produce at all hours of the night without noise complaints.
- Preserves hearing - no need to crank your system.
The SubPac connects you to music, movies and games unlike anything you've ever experienced.
- feel your music instead of just hearing it
- experience the intensity of a massive club system without disturbing someone only feet away
- take that experience everywhere you go
Dub legend Scientist explains the SubPac:
SubPac is used with any line in, and is used in conjunction with any headphones or speaker set-up. It is used in any seated, or laying position and its intensity is fully adjustable.
Perhaps the most widely used testimonial we get: “You seriously miss it when it’s gone.”
- Frequency response: 5Hz – 130Hz
- Dimensions: 18.5” x 12” x 1.75”
- Weight: 3.8 lbs
- Powered with 15V DC adapter (110-240V AC) . Your SubPac will be shipped with the right plug for your region.
- Made in the United States and Canada
TESTIMONIALS & MEDIA:
SubPac has been tested and is supported by some of the most respected producers, DJs and taste-makers in the music industry.
- “It's all about the SubPac from now on.” – Gilles Peterson, (BBC Radio)
- “SubPac is a game-changer!” – Hank Shocklee, (Shocklee Entertainment, Bomb Squad, Public Enemy)
- “Without a doubt the most useful studio tool I have come across in many years.” – Adrian Sherwood (Warp Records, On-U Sound)
- “If you like bass, you'll love the SubPac.” – Stephan Bodzin (Herzblut)
- “When I activate SubPac, I am transported to a world of 3D frequencies.” – Mala (DMZ, Deep Medi)
As seen on:
The cross-disciplinary team at StudioFeed that developed SubPac is made up of engineers, designers, materials scientists, music producers and other supporting players. The individuals on this team have worked together to develop a product that brings a new sense to sound: touch.
Our electronics designer, Andrew Kilpatrick, has spent over a decade developing a variety of high-end modular synthesizers and guitar pedal projects that are distributed worldwide (www.andrewkilpatrick.org).
We have spent the last 4 months introducing SubPac to respected artists and industry players and have incorporated their feedback. Along this road we have built a strong roster of supporters. We very much consider our artist supporters an extension of our team – all of whom are passionate about the possibilities of SubPac. All are passionate about the possibilities of feeling the music.
WHAT WE NEED MONEY FOR:
We need your help for our first factory production run. To date we've been making prototypes by hand, which is cost prohibitive. The crowd-funding model is consistent with our community ethos and we're proud to bring this technology to the Kickstarter community.
WHERE WE ARE AT:
We are ready to deliver SubPac to the world. We have manufacturing facilities lined up in the United States (Indiana) and Canada (Toronto). We have developed partnerships with leaders in various communities and need a ‘kickstart’ to make an impact – a big impact, as quickly as possible.
If you want to support a product that will heighten your music experience, deliver a physical dimension to sound and help support a team devoted to supporting independent music, then get on board and become a part of our foundation.
All purchasers of a SubPac will now receive the Official SubPac T-Shirt with their purchase.
Shipping within the USA is included in the pledge amounts. For shipping to Canada, the UK or Germany please add $25.
For shipping outside North America, UK and Germany, it will vary by location and country. It’s simpler (and cheaper for you) to handle this separately. After Kickstarter ends and we are ready to start shipping, you will receive an invitation to go to our website and enter your shipping information to pay the appropriate amount. Unfortunately, international shipping is not as easy or cheap as we would like it to be. Prices vary by country and what taxes and other regulations your government has. We ask that you assume responsibility for all these charges. After our Kickstarter project ends, you will be asked to log into our website and pay the appropriate shipping charges.
Risks and challenges
In any large scale project, manufacturing poses a risk. We have strategically selected reputable partners in close proximity to our offices. Our assembler and manufacturer are two widely-respected local companies who we have been working with for almost 1 year to plan for our project launch. We are confident we have the right partners in place to deal with large orders and any additional issues that may arise.
With a large number of individual components involved in our electronics and other elements, maintaining a reliable supply chain poses certain challenges. During our multiple prototype developments, we have gone through several iterations of suppliers and have landed on those who combine quality and reliability. Our components can also be sourced from "back-up" suppliers we have identified and we work closely with our manufacturers to make sure our supply chain is timely and efficient.
Although we cannot anticipate every problem that may arise, our combination of experienced audio engineers, manufacturing, professionals, designers and carefully selected partners have left us with confidence in our ability to mitigate risks. Our extensive testing and showcasing to various artists/industry stakeholders has allowed us to iteratively improve SubPac and bring it to a level that has been given the stamp of approval from the most discerning audio enthusiasts.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)