CAVERNS & CRYSTALS: Rule the Rock! (Canceled)
CAVERNS & CRYSTALS: Rule the Rock! (Canceled)
Aggressive worker placement. Control a tribe of stone Imps fighting, mining & building in the heart of an asteroid. 1-4 players, 30mins
Aggressive worker placement. Control a tribe of stone Imps fighting, mining & building in the heart of an asteroid. 1-4 players, 30mins Read more
For those who want a beautifully illustrated game with many levels of strategy and a unique set of components: Caverns & Crystals, the ONLY game of tribal asteroid dominance! Take control of a desperate group of stone creatures as they fight to survive the hazards and enemies that dwell within an asteroid drifting through space.
- A quirky theme with bright accompanying Illustrations: Alongside Rachel's incredible art, there is a lot of background to the Stone Imps and their habitat, all of which we want to explore in depth in the rulebook.
- Comes in a quality metal tin: Boxes are great, we have no problem with boxes; some of my best friends are boxes. But tins... they're shiny and sleek. the tin is also small enough to fit in a pocket if you fancy carrying board games around with you...
- Narrative Rulebook: The rulebook will contain notes from an exo-biologist who has discovered these creatures in an asteroid field; we want to go into more detail with our theme than other games.
- Aggressive Mechanics: The mechanics (explained in depth below) will be familiar to those who play worker placement games but focuses on player interaction and conflicting interests. It's fast and exciting rather than monotonous and predictable.
- Solo: The game also includes a solo variation if you like to play alone or, like me, you have appalling people skills.
- Without the funding we need, this game will never see your table: We're not a large company using kickstarter to test the waters, we really believe in this game but won't be able to produce it without the interest of kickstater backers.
- Get the game for a percentage of what its final price will be: Since backers will be making this game a reality we think they should get it at a great price!
- A Kickstarter exclusive slip case: Every full copy of the game manufactured for this kickstarter will have a different slip case to the final version, the art for which will be voted for at the end of the campaign by our backers!
- A chance to make this game even better: If we can reach our stretch goal, we will be able to afford a range of extra components and maybe even an expansion, all of which our backers will benefit from!
Caverns & Crystals is an aggressive worker placement game where up to four players each control a tribe of Stone Imps exploring their asteroid home. Each Player begins the game with two imps, a king (which has a different ability each turn) and the base to their Totem Tower. As players build up their Totem Towers they can increase the size of their tribe. To win you must be the first to complete your tower and tribe or collect the most crystals before the turns run out.
At the beginning of each turn, before Imps are placed in the asteroid, a small set of cards are handed around to each player who takes one secretly. These are the King Cards and they bestow a special rule on your Imp King when you place him. The Warrior allows you to knock over other player's imps and put them out of action. The Thief gives you the chance to steal unguarded resources from your opponents. The artificer lets you convert crystals into stone and metal or vice versa to help you to adapt to a bad situation...
Perhaps the most intriguing is the Space Squid, which is the only card that doesn't effect your king but instead lets you hide a token beneath a hex card on the asteroid without your opponents knowing where. Once all Imps have been placed, the token is revealed and all the imps on the same hex are knocked out of action for a turn; almost like placing a squid-shaped landmine on the table!
Starting with the first, each player places a single imp from their home hex to a cavern in the asteroid. This continues until all imps are placed, when an Imp King is placed on the asteroid the owning player can reveal his selected King card and use its effect. A player may spend a metal resource as they place an Imp to knock over an opposing Imp. Once all Imps are placed, players may gather resources on asteroid hexes they dominate.
Players may then use their hard won resources to build their tower, spawn new members of their tribe or horde them for later. The Game relies upon forward thinking, good use of workers/resources and it's as important to be as aware of your opponent's strategy as your own grand scheme. All in all, it's a fast paced, original worker placement game that will make your friends laugh at the absurdity of the theme and roar with happiness when your imps are sucked into the vacuum of space or crushed to rubble under a landslide!
Although Caverns & Crystals is already a wonderful game, there will always be ways of making it even better! Below is a list of some of the things We want to do with this game but have had to cut back to the skeleton due to financial and time constraints. If we exceed our funding goal maybe we can flesh it out!
We have poured a year of work and a lot of our own funds into developing this project but to create a final batch of games we will need more money than we could feasibly afford. By utilizing kickstarter not only can we hope to fund a first batch but perhaps we can even improve the project drastically with stretch goals. Added to this we want to enthuse people with our project in a way that only an exciting kickstarter campaign can.
Of the £15,000 we need to fund, the majority will be used for manufacturing and shipment. Other important costs are the machines and tooling required for producing the miniatures and tokens, naturally the kickstarter fees and to pay Rachel for her hard work and brilliant illustrations.
As long time backers ourselves we know what it's like to pledge to a cool project and see it develop. We want to provide that for our backers and make them part of the process. We believe in crowd funding and it's ability to produce original work that normally wouldn't see the shelves.
Rachel Curtis was born in Canada and grew up drawing all sorts of things, like dragons and knights and wonderful stories. She then attended the Alberta College of Art and Design where she learned she didn’t know nearly as much about art as she thought she did but managed to come out pretty well. Since that time she has earned a certificate in Classical Animation, has worked as an in house artist at a studio that makes wall murals, been published in book and magazine and played a lot of board games. Now for the first time she will have her art on a board game and she thinks that is pretty cool and would like to do it again sometime.
Laurie Mallam was born in England, though he can't really remember so he just has to take people's word for it. Growing up he always wanted to be a pirate but since there are no degrees applicable to that industry he decided to seek a career in business as it seemed to be the closest thing. Since starting the kickstarter campaign for his beloved board game "Caverns & Crystals", he realized he's terrible at making videos and not the greatest graphic designer in the world, but what he does have is a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm and drive... in fact if enthusiasm was gold he'd be a very rich man... but then if that were the case he wouldn't need kickstarter...
Risks and challenges
We appreciate that many problems can occur with a project with this depth and ambition; however we are confident we have the skills, planning and drive to fight through them. All our costs have been well planned and we have secure quotes from all our suppliers. Each game will be packed personally by us in the UK; ensuring quality control and guaranteeing that no product will be sent to you without being checked by us first. The only problem we may come across is potentially a delay in delivery but we assure our backers that we will be completely transparent if and when they occur and keep them updated regularly with the manufacturing and fulfillment process. We know that, as a first time project creator, Backers are trusting us with their pledge so we are determined to make are project work once funding has been reached. We know that regular updates and information are appreciated and our first priority and pleasure is to get this game in the eager hands of our backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)