CAVERNS & CRYSTALS: Rule the Rock! (Return)
Aggressive worker placement. Control a tribe of stone Imps fighting, mining & building in the heart of an asteroid. 1-4 players, 40mins
For those who want a beautifully illustrated game with many levels of strategy and a unique set of components: Caverns & Crystals, the ONLY game of tribal asteroid dominance! Take control of a desperate group of stone creatures as they fight to survive the hazards and enemies that dwell within an asteroid drifting through space.
An in depth description of the individual components which can be expected in the box:
Caverns & Crystals is an aggressive worker placement game where up to four players each control a tribe of Stone Imps exploring their asteroid home. Each Player begins the game with two imps, a king (which has a different ability each turn) and the base to their Totem Tower. As players build up their Totem Towers they can increase the size of their tribe. To win you must be the first to complete your tower and tribe or collect the most crystals before the turns run out.
Players alternate, placing imps in caverns in order to win the resources there. There are 3 resources: Stone, Metal, Crystal and they are used to spawn Imps, knock over opposing Imps and win the game respectively.
Once the imps are returned home, you can spend the hard won resources you've gathered. You can use them mainly for spawning more imps and building your totem tower. The new turn card is added, new resources placed in the asteroid and the first player token passed on. You can win in two ways: by building your tribe fully first or finishing with more crystals than your opponents.
Then there are the King cards, these add a hidden role mechanic to the game. You will select one in secret at the beginning of each turn and when you place your imp king you can reveal it and use its power. They can help you manipulate the board to your advantage and put a squid in the works of your opponent's plan...
Caverns & Crystals is a game for 1-4 players but there are a few variations of the game. the first of which is the solo mode where you build your tribe while avoiding hordes of zombie imps; who it seems have been eating bad crystals!
Or my favorite, a two team cooperative where four players make two teams, each team collecting a pool of resources between them, if you want to build anything or use any resources you must get your partner’s permission first. If they won’t give it then at any time you can shout "betrayal!" and break up the team, becoming two separate players. The person who shouts betrayal gets to take resources from the combined pool first! And as only one player can win, not a team, then the entire experience is one of needing your partner but never knowing how much you can trust them and let them take resources to build because at any moment they might cry betrayal and everything collapses!
- Aggressive Mechanics: The mechanics will be familiar to those who play worker placement games but focuses on player interaction and conflicting interests. It's fast and exciting rather than monotonous and predictable.
- A quirky theme with bright accompanying Illustrations: Alongside Rachel's incredible art, there is a lot of background to the Stone Imps and their habitat, all of which we want to explore in depth in the rulebook.
- Narrative Rulebook: The rulebook will contain notes from an exobiologist who has discovered these creatures in an asteroid field; we want to go into more detail with our theme than other games.
- Solo: The game also includes a solo variation if you like to play alone or, like me, you have appalling people skills.
- Love: We promise Cavern & Crystals will be packed by us in the UK and we will put much more love in our box than other manufactures; and who can put a price on love?
- Without the funding we need, this game will never see your table: We're not a large company using kickstarter to test the waters, we really believe in this game but won't be able to produce it without the interest of kickstater backers.
- Get the game for a percentage of what its final price will be: Since backers will be making this game a reality we think they should get it at a great price!
- A chance to make this game even better: If we can reach our stretch goal, we will be able to afford a range of extra components and maybe even an expansion, all of which our backers will benefit from!
We intend to manufacture locally in the UK and therefore we will have full control over the process. We have secure quotes from a variety of British companies for our components and we will be using Intermail to deliver and fulfill our Pledge rewards. we are ready for our final push; to get Caverns & Crystals on the shelves, but the only way this will happen is with your interest!
We have poured over a year of work and a lot of our own funds into developing this project but to create a final batch of games we will need more money than we could feasibly afford. By utilizing kickstarter not only can we hope to fund a first batch but perhaps we can even improve the project drastically with stretch goals. Added to this we want to enthuse people with our project in a way that only an exciting kickstarter campaign can.
Of the £10,000 we need to fund, the majority will be used for manufacturing and shipment. Other important costs are the machines and tooling required for producing the miniatures and tokens, naturally the kickstarter fees and printing rights. As long time backers ourselves we know what it's like to pledge to a cool project and see it develop. We want to provide that for our backers and make them part of the process. We believe in crowd funding and it's ability to produce original work that normally wouldn't see the shelves.
Risks and challenges
We appreciate that many problems can occur with a project with this depth and ambition; however we are confident we have the skills, planning and drive to fight through them. All our costs have been well planned and we have secure quotes from all our suppliers. Each game will be packed personally by us in the UK; ensuring quality control and guaranteeing that no product will be sent to you without being checked by us first. The only problem we may come across is potentially a delay in delivery but we assure our backers that we will be completely transparent if and when they occur and keep them updated regularly with the manufacturing and fulfillment process. We know that, as a first time project creator, Backers are trusting us with their pledge so we are determined to make our project work once funding has been reached. We know that regular updates and information are appreciated and our first priority and pleasure is to get this game in the eager hands of our backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)