Instead of the usual stuff we decided to create an entire movie for you! We used over 400 consoles to make it, so you can enjoy 10 minutes of console insanity! It has a massive build-up so expect the unexpected!
Consolevariations.com is a database site for video game consoles, controllers and their box variations. After 2 years of existence we are re-launching the website to transform it into the ultimate tool for collectors and gamers introducing a ton of new features.
The original site was launched in April of 2016 as a hobby project. Our goal was to list every console & controller that ever existed from the most famous brands in a clear overview. Most importantly we also included all the box variations to really let our users see the whole picture of every release there was. This was never done before to this extent and it proved to evolve to something people loved. You can check out the current website here: consolevariations.com
Since then the site and our community has grown and it became way more than a hobby. We realized that the demand for this information and clear lists with quality images is way higher than expected. So we decided to team up with a development team and create the "ultimate" tool for collectors and gamers. We want to give you a site that doesn't only provide information, but also solves the problems of collectors & gamers when it comes to managing their collection. And of course it will remain free to use - always!
- The database will have games, accessories, kiosks, prototypes and their box variations (additionally to consoles & controllers)
- It will now also support 3rd party items
- A search functionality will be implemented
- Completely revamped filter page: Sort by brand, platform, release region, year, color, rarity score and more...
Manage your own collection
- Add any item to your collection
- Define if you own it CIB (complete in box) or loose
- Add the price you paid to manage your collections value (private)
- Share your collection with the world in an unique social media layout
- Add items to your wishlist
- Add the amount you would like to pay for an item (private)
- Immediately get notified when an item is available for sale for the price you are willing to pay for it (optional)
Entirely new details page
- Upload your own Images individually or in bulk
- Revamped "Quick Facts" and "Additional Info" fields
- Comment on every individual item
- Share your favorite items directly on social media
- Explore more consoles you might not know and that are relevant specifically to you
Your personal game room
- Add your game room to your profile
- Select the "Holy Grails" of your collection and highlight them
- Brag your game room on social media with an unique design template
Achievement and leveling system
Obtain achievements for certain collecting goals and earn medals
- Tag 5 (of hundreds of) medals to your avatar for uniqueness
- Gain XP for adding variations, gaining achievements, uploading images and more...
- Level your avatar from Level 1 to 100 and unlock milestones
Add a variation
- Now you will be able add any variation to the site yourself with the greatest attention to all the details.
Rarity Score (see stretch goals)
There will be a truly unique system of how to define an item's rarity. This will be the first time such a score has been made in the manner we are planning it. We know how it can be done effectively but it is very challenging (See stretch goals).
More amazing features
- Console of the day
- Notification system
- Follow others & be followed
- Billboard feature (See stretch goals)
- Compare collections (See stretch goals)
We will continue developing the new site and create the "base version" with almost all of the features above for you to enjoy. We are planning the BETA launch for December 2018 and the public launch in the first quarter of 2019. Of course the site will stay free to use - always!
A reliable "Rarity Score" has never really been done. Yet it is one of the most important features and also one many people are asking for. We have come up with a unique way how to implement this, but it requires more than just simple code. This is serious algorithm business.
Currently we have Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Sega, Atari and Neo Geo on the website. Naturally we will implement every gaming company eventually. If the community really helps us out here we will add 10 more brands to the website at launch and here comes the great part: We will let you decide which brands we will implement by a vote.
We will add all the games of the 6 most impactful gaming companies to the database. Like this you can manage your favorite games with all the details you know and love. This will be a full-time job and might take a little but with your support we will do it. Also we will implement an additional 10 brands!
We will finish developing the website with the features mentioned above and add 3 more entirely new features that are a little more tricky to implement.
Compare collections: Compare your collection with others. Very handy if you want to know who has items you are still missing and potential trading.
Billboard Feature: Bring the forum feel back to the internet and write on someone's billboard. Any user can join in the conversation.
Community Vote: We will make a poll with the most requested feature. The one with the most votes will be implemented.
Cheap worldwide shipping available
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge of consolevariations has always been the high quality content. Finding and adding all the consoles, controllers and boxes has been a huge task on the current site and will continue to be one in the future.
On the new version of the website users will be able to add their variations themselves, this means that even more content will come in. This also means new challenges because all of this data has to be checked and approved and we are certainly looking forward to it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)