About this project
- We already have a functional gameplay prototype.
- Engage 100's of players in epic space battles involving everything from small, nimble interceptors up to immense, powerful capital ships.
- Seamless interplanetary warfare, orbital bombardments, and long range planetary defenses
- No loading screens! (except when the game first starts).
- Breathtaking visuals made possible by the in-house development of the I-Novae Engine.
- Newtonian physics with with optional auto-assist from your flight computer.
- A flight model that makes each planet atmosphere a unique experience based on drag, thrust to weight ratio, atmospheric density, gravity, and turbulence.
- Offline single player mode for exploration and experimenting with the different ship/weapon combinations.
- Windows PC. OS X and Linux support will be added if we hit our $1.5M stretch goal.
- Community oriented focus with support for modding.
- Video - Scott Manley takes a look at Battlescape - 20 minutes long Seamless planetary transitions, a little combat, and first impressions
- Live Stream - Bluedrake42 - 2.5 hours long Streamed live on day one of the campaign! Full gameplay and project introduction
- Live Stream - theXPgamers - 45 minutes long Learning how to enter atmosphere, an introduction to Battlescape
- Live Interview with Flavien Brebion - 50 minutes long Answering questions, discussing gameplay and the scope of the project.
- Video - 30km Station fly-through - 4 minutes long
- HD YouTube - Infinity: Battlescape Trailer - 4 minutes long
- Video - Volcanic moon seamless transition - 2.5 minutes long
- Video - Habitable moon seamless transition - 1.25 minutes long
- Imgur album - Highlights, and easy to share Infinity: Battlescape project pitch
Infinity: Battlescape is a multiplayer space sim spanning a single true to scale star system filled with dozens of planets and moons. Hundreds of players spanning up to 3 powerful corporations of the Starfold Confederacy will fight to win control of the system. The primary goal will be to capture or destroy your enemies infrastructure through a combination of the orbital bombardment capabilities of capital ships and small spacecraft including bombers, interceptors, and corvettes.
“We're working to recreate the epic space battles seen in popular movies and TV series such as Star Wars, Serenity, and Battlestar: Galactica. Combined with our ability to handle seamless planetary transitions and our focus on perfecting space combat, we're going to create a well polished experience that really distinguises itself from other space games. Our technology by itself provides an unforgettable experience and the media that have received the prototype have spent entire days just flying around and exploring”
-Keith Newton, CEO & Cofounder (80.lv Interview)
Every couple of minutes a factory spawns a cargo ship which will transfer raw materials to the nearest space station or planetary base for processing into credits. These credits are split evenly among the members of the team however if the cargo ship is destroyed its owners lose the credits. Players are able to donate credits to other members of their team so that they can pool resources.
Small ships with first-person, twitch based newtonian controls will provide players with high speed dogfights inspired by those seen in sci-fi film and television. We've implemented a flight model that makes each planet a unique experience based on drag, thrust to weight ratio, atmospheric density, and turbulence.
- Interceptors - Your standard fast, sleek, highly maneuverable killing machine. They are primarily designed for destroying enemy light spacecraft.
- Fighters - Similar to interceptors, fighters are relatively fast and maneuverable however they also provide a limited ability to attack infrastructure. This ship will only be available if we reach our $500k stretch goal.
- Bombers - Larger and less maneuverable than fighters with limited defensive capability. A handful of bombers can cause serious damage to enemy capital ships and infrastructure.
- Corvettes - The tanks of space combat. Corvettes come armed with independently targeting turrets allowing a 360 degree arc of fire. While they don't pack the long-range punch of a bomber, a group of them can easily take out weaker capital ships.
Capital ships are the backbone of a fleet and will be controlled in the 3rd person, providing a unique perspective of the unfolding battle. Individual weapons can independently target or be focused on a single enemy depending on field of view. There are three types of capital ship within Battlescape, each filling a specialized role:
- Destroyers - The smallest and most maneuverable of the capital ships - destroyers are densely fitted with light weaponry to protect their larger brethren from swarms of fighters and bombers.
- Cruisers - Heavy weapons platforms capable of reducing enemy infrastructure and capital ships to rubble within minutes. Despite their awesome power they are particularly vulnerable against bombers fitted with long range weaponry.
- Carriers - Mobile spawn points capable of launching, refueling, and refitting small to medium spacecraft. A carrier has a finite number of spawnable ships however its squadrons can be replenished at a space station or base. With a limited number of light defensive weapons a carrier is particularly vulnerable once its squadrons have been destroyed.
We want to provide solo players with a great experience, but we also want to encourage team play. Each ship is being designed with specific strengths and weaknesses. For example a bomber is unlikely to perform well against an interceptor however an interceptor is almost entirely ineffective against hardened installations and larger ships. A destroyer will strike ice-cold fear into the hearts of interceptor and bomber pilots but a cruiser or a group of corvettes will quickly blow it to bits.
If we reach our $1 million stretch goal we will integrate social features directly into the game. This will include corporation management as well as built-in support for competitive matches between organized groups of players.
Our $1.5 million stretch goal is to make Battlescape semi-persistent with the opportunity for players to build infrastucture. You will be able to place new space stations, planetary bases, and factories. Space stations will come in two different sizes: large and small. Both small space stations and planetary bases can spawn small to medium sized spacecraft. Large space stations will be the only entity in the game capable of spawning, rearming, and refueling capital starships.
If the semi-persistent stretch goal is achieved, every time a team receives credits its members will have some additional choices to make:
- Buy powerful new ships and weapons for a better offense.
- Build more factories to increase the team's rate of resource acquisition.
- Build more space stations and planetary bases so that you can spawn closer to your objectives, be they offensive or defensive in nature
When we originally set out to build a space game we came to the conclusion that there wasn't any technology available that would allow us to realize our vision of a seamless transition from the surface of one planet to another without loading screens. We hate loading screens and, as life long space game enthusiasts, we resolved to build the technology to accomplish this ourselves. The fruit of that labor is the I-Novae Engine - a revolutionary new game engine capable of bringing you gameplay unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
For the first time in video game history we're able to give you a glimpse of what a broad range of alien worlds could actually look like if you were standing there in the flesh. The best part is that we recognize our gaming community has a tremendous amount of creative energy and, as long as we reach our $800k stretch goal, we want to make our technology available to you via modding tools!
Those of you who pledge $60 and above will receive our Kickstarter exclusive SFC Mercenary Operative Interceptor. It will be balanced with stats similar to the default SFC Interceptor and will offer no gameplay advantage. This ship will not be available after the Kickstarter.
Many of our reward tiers include limited edition skins and/or decals. We wanted to provide some examples so that you'll have an idea of what your rewards could look like. Please keep in mind that these are examples and do not represent the final limited-edition skins and decals.
For starters we have the default skin for a Hellion corvette as pictured above. We'll use this as a baseline for demonstrating some of the fun things we can do to allow you to customize the look and feel of your ships.
Think of decals for ships in Battlescape the same way you would for your car. If you buy a black Chevrolet Camaro and decide to paint gold wings on the hood the wings would be considered a decal. Similarly the Hellion pictured above has a baseline paint job with an SF-1 Racing decal.
You can think of a skin as a whole new paint job. It's the same as buying a white Camaro with blue lights in the undercarriage instead of a stock black Camaro. As you can see in the image above we've completely changed the look and feel of the Hellion. Here are some more examples:
NOTE: We do not want to fall into the trap of feature creep, a common pitfall of both Kickstarted projects and big-budget AAA games. Some stretch goals, such as a second faction and player constructed infrastructure, will be unavailable if we do not raise enough money during the Kickstarter campaign. Other stretch goals such as modding and built-in corporation support may be added after the game ships if we continue to raise funds post-Kickstarter.
I-Novae Studios is a small independent game studio building cutting edge technology that allows us to create amazing new gameplay experiences. Our team consists of virtual reality and game industry veterans who've worked on games including Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator 10, and Forza Motorsports 2.
Visit our forums: https://forums.inovaestudios.com
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/INovaeStudios
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Infinity-Battlescape/14345001234
Risks and challenges
Currently the members of the team are scattered across the U.S., Canada, and Europe. Unless our Kickstarter raises at least $1.5 million we won't be able to afford office space and will continue to work remotely. While that poses some challenges due to timezone differences, among other things, we've all been working together remotely for a long time and we've become quite comfortable with it.
A frequent enemy of game development is feature creep. As mentioned above some stretch goals that aren't hit during this Kickstarter campaign will not be included in the shipping game - even if we're able to crowdsource additional funding through our website. This is to ensure we can deliver a solid experience as promised to our backers and if we have the resources we may optionally release additional content as DLC after the game ships.
This is our dream game, we've all invested thousands of unpaid hours and with your help we fully intend to see this project through to completion. Please join us in what we hope will be the beginning of an incredible journey together!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)