What is Far Away Land?
Far Away Land (FAL) is a fantasy tabletop role-playing game with elements of sci-fi, horror, humor, and pop-culture. FAL is focused on storytelling, dice rolling, and having a good time. It’s easy to learn and kid friendly. The rules are streamlined and simple so that brand new gamers and veteran gamers alike can pick it up and play. Optional rules allow for more choices without rewriting the core of the game. Character creation is fast and fun. Math is minimal. Fun is maximum. The world of FAL is quirky and colorful, but don’t let the artwork fool you. Behind the whimsical façade of brightness and cartoony action is a universe of great depth, history, and lore. You will be pleasantly surprised by all you find within the pages of Nuzoz and all of the Far Away Land books.
The world of Far Away Land expands with the discovery of the continent known as Nuzoz! This project introduces the newest Far Away Land book to the Far Away Land Universe. New lands. New monsters. New spells. New Awesome! (This book contains rules for the originall Far Away Land rule system - not the OSR version).
What is the Land of Nuzoz?
Nuzoz is a rugged land full of jungles, monsters, beaches, seas, floating landmasses, great maelstroms, towering spires, mysterious structures, rainbow lakes, rings of fire, and strange cities. Nuzoz introduces new playable PC races like the anthropomorphic parrot folk called kreeah as well as terrible monsters like Bigzilla and cave anglers. It’s a tough land that will test the mettle of even the most intrepid adventurers.
Nuzoz Physical and Digital Versions
The physical Nuzoz book is 5.5 x 8.5 inches and is available in both paperback and hardback (the hardback has thicker paper and more vibrant colors). The book is 92 pages and full color. All backers who choose the physical books also get pdfs. Backing at the paperback level saves 22% off the retail price. Backing at the hardback level saves 14% off the retail price.
Nuzoz also comes as a pdf. The pdf is full color. The entire book is bookmarked for fast navigation. The Table of Contents and Index have also been linked to their respective pages for fast searching. Backing at the pdf level saves 38% off the retail price.
What’s in Nuzoz?
Here’s a breakdown as to what’s contained in this 92 page book…
- New Rules such as… Abstracted Combat to speed up traditional FAL combat and Leveling Up Stories.
- New Achievements like Burn Baby Burn, Pincushion, and Stick Around. Achievements are gained through actions in game and help define PCs
- 9 New Non-human PC Templates including akros (the Antiverse orkas), duodudes (two-headed blue warriors), horned scale folk, kreeah (anthropomorphic parrots), and moonies (moon-like creatures) just to name a few .
- Descriptions and Map of Nuzoz with awesome adventure locations like Air Rock (a huge floating, honeycomb-like plateau that moves slowly about the Red Wastes), the mysterious Ebon Claws, and Scream Citadel.
- New Gear and Vehicles like horned scale folk crossbows, upaway crystals, and windgliders.
- Nearly 40 New Spells. Some spells are mundane and simple like Fair Weather and Plant Weaving while others are powerful (and sometimes terrible) like Glass Falcons, Skull of Immolation, Doom Shroom, and Summon ol’ Lemmy.
- 34 New Creatures complete with size comparisons and loot drops. New creatures include Bigzilla, cave anglers, doom knights, gecko folk, kreeah, manitaurs, and velveteen worms to name a few.
- Level 0 PC Builder for creating LVL 0 PCs. These are simple folk who have decided to take up the life of an adventurer (at least until they are killed)!
- Level 0 Character Adventure: The Wizard’s Spiral. Originally released in Far Away Land OSR version of the game, this LVL 0 adventure has been reformatted for original FAL rules.
- All kinds of “Deadly Games” that pit PC against PC. These mini games include A Slay at the Races, Gotta Spear ‘em All, and Zany Ziggurat of Death. Compete to become the best. There can be only none!
- 4 Alphabets including Enoi, Quintabeth (with numerals), Abyssmal, and Elvish. Make secret messages that only your friends who are in the FAL know can read.
- Encounter Index for all FAL books published up to this time. These indices are arranged according to book, location, and environment. An invaluable resource for quickly generating encounter ideas (especially when used alongside the FAL Wiki on faruniverse.com).
Other Far Away Land Books are available as well
Some folks who may have never heard of Far Away Land might want to get in on the game. So, we are making all of our original Far Away Land books available through this Kickstarter project at huge discounts. Here is a breakdown of each Far Away Land book.
- Tome of Awesome is the core rule book for the Far Away Land RPG.
- Creatures Vol. 2 features 100 new creatures.
- Creatures Vol. 3 features 100 new creatures.
- Seas of Far Away Land features all you need to run awesome sea battles and adventures.
- Adventure Awesome contains 14 adventures for the Far Away Land RPG.
All of these books plus Nuzoz offer over 1,000 page of Far Away Land content!
Where is the Book in production?
The book is written, edited, proofread. All of the art is done and the book has been laid out. Colin Chapman and Dirk Stanley co-wrote the book. Dirk Stanley did all of the art. As soon as the Kickstarter is completed and the payments go through, the rewards will be sent to backers.
How are Rewards Fulfilled?
We are using DriveThruRPG (DTRPG) to fulfill rewards. Backers will get at cost coupon codes via DTRPG once the project concludes and payments go through.
What Are At Cost Coupon Codes?
At cost coupon codes are our way of saving you money. Instead of us ordering books, having them shipped to us, then shipping to you, we simply make a link available via DriveThruRPG that allows you to order your books when you want at print cost. This means that in addition to what you pay here in the Kickstarter, you will also have to pay to have the book printed via DTRPG. However, the pricing we are offering is much cheaper than if we had the books printed and shipped to you or if you ordered the books via retail. In each reward description we talk about how much backers save at each level thanks to this method of delivery. This model of reward delivery allows us to deliver rewards faster while saving backers money. It allows us to get Far Away Land into more hands cheaper and faster. Everyone wins!
About the Authors and Artist
Colin Chapman is a longtime RPG freelancer and award-nominated designer of Atomic Highway. Dirk Stanley is the creator of Far Away Land. He writes all of the books and draws all of the art.
Risks and challenges
This is our 8th project on Kickstarter. We have delivered every previous Kickstarter before the specified delivery date. This book is done. All of the writing, editing, artwork, layout, and testing have been completed. We are ready to roll out the books to our backers. We will be diligent and focused on fulfilling rewards in the time promised, just as we have done with every Kickstarter we have run. While there is the possibility that unseen somethings may arise, we do not foresee such happenings.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)