To raise funding for Steele #1 Vs Dead Horse Trail and recruit an army of STEELE VS fans in the process.
A Mountie Comic? Really?
Really. And he's not your typical red shirt. STEELE VS is an action/horror comic book that weaves the rich history and folklore of the Canadian frontier with the action and adventure of early pulp fiction.
The Facts: Steele was a legend in his own time. As one of the first recruits of the North-West Mounted Police, he was vital in shaping the force, from its policies and practices, to its equipment and reputation. Mostly known for his role as “sheriff” during the Yukon Gold Rush, he was an expert horseman, marksman and a natural-born leader.
The Fiction: In STEELE VS, we follow a pulp version of Sam Steele, inspired by early heroes like Doc Savage and The Lone Ranger. Sam's universe is one of collision, a world where man and myth clash as the old world repulses the new at the turn of the century. Only Steele and his North-West Mounted Police stand in the middle, attempting to bring peace and order to the chaos of the frontier.
The Story So Far...
From the initial brainstorm to a complete 22-page story, STEELE VS has been in development for about 4 years. In 2012, I had the fortune of meeting an amazing artist named SLOBODAN JOVANOVIC. After his first pieces of art hit my inbox, I knew he was the guy to bring Steele to life. Shortly after, I brought on colorist K. MICHAEL RUSSELL and letterer HDE and we went to work on Sam's first full-length adventure.
Designed as both a riveting one-shot as well as an introduction to Steele and his universe, the zero issue is a tribute to the classic manhunt story the "Mountie" is known for. In the issue, Sam faces off against a notorious outlaw shaman known as "The Ghost Walker."
Here are the first 5 pages:
So, What's Next?
For the follow-up to "The Ghost Walker," I want to both establish a continuity for the series, as well as retain that one-shot style of adventure that, as a reader and writer, I absolutely love. After doing the research, I came away with a three-issue mini-series called "Road to the Yukon."
The Facts: In1897, gold is discovered deep in the Canadian interior. Word spreads like wildfire and suddenly tens of thousands of people are headed out to stake a claim of their own. The problem is most of them are oblivious to the dangers of the 3,000 mile journey. To prevent needless death and starvation, Sam Steele and the North-West Mounted Police are sent in to assist and protect the flood of gold-seekers.
The Fiction: Kicking off the "Road to the Yukon" is Steele #1 Vs Dead Horse Trail. As winter approaches, the last rush of "Klondikers" make their way through the treacherous White Pass. When a party of hikers is mauled to death in the night, Steele is sent to investigate. While all signs say a bear attack, Sam grows skeptical as he tracks the killer through a blizzard.
How Can I Help?
Simple, become a backer! For this campaign, we are asking for $3,500 to cover the full production costs of Steele #1 Vs Dead Horse Trail and the printing and shipping of Kickstarter rewards.
Additional funding will go towards printing more copies of Steele #0 and Steele #1 for the convention circuit, but if we're lucky enough to smash goal, there are plans in place to unlock Steele #2 and #3 for this campaign. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
- Steele #0 Vs The Ghost Walker: Set in the waning months of Steele's frontier service, this one-shot manhunt tale serves as an introduction to the title character and his universe. 24 Pages. Full Color. Available in PDF/Print.
- Steele #1 Vs Dead Horse Trail: When a party of hikers is mauled to death, Steele is sent to investigate. While all signs say a bear attack, Sam grows skeptical as he tracks the killer through a blizzard. 24 Pages. Full Color. Available in PDF/Print.
- Steele Vs Series Sketchbook: This book takes a look at the development of the series from the very first pin-up to the latest designs and concepts. Also contains Steele's first appearance in "Steele Vs Quick Draw Jon Hyde." 20 Pages. Black & White. Print Only.
- Steele Vs Mini-Print Set: This set contains three 8.5" x 5.5" Full Color Prints, custom matted, boarded and bagged.
- Steele Vs Dead Horse Trail Art Print "A": An 11" x 17" Spot-Color Print by JEFF EDWARDS (Extinction, IDW Limited).
- Steele Vs Dead Horse Trail Art Print "B": An 11" x 17" Spot-Color Print by TYLER SOWLES (Deadman's Land, The Numbered).
- Become A Klondiker: Your face drawn into Steele #1 Vs Dead Horse Trail as one of the hardy, gold-seeking "Klondikers." Who knows, you might even survive the journey!
- Steele Vs T-Shirt: this t-shirt features the comic's logo and is also available as an "Add-On" post-campaign. Limted to 25. Available in all sizes.
- Steele #1 Vs Dead Horse Trail Original Cover Art: this full-size piece of Steele Vs original artwork comes framed, matted and signed by the artist. Limited to 1.
Risks and challenges
As creator of the series, the biggest challenge has been funding the book's development. I was fortunate enough to work with a great group of talented artists for the zero issue, but to continue funding STEELE VS myself is financially impossible for the foreseeable future.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)