Stay Out of My Dungeon! combines the fun of hidden identity games and the camaraderie of cooperative play into one strategically rich yet easy to learn board game.
The purpose of this Kickstarter is to help us raise the capital required to purchase the beautiful artwork this game deserves. As such, most of the artwork in this campaign - while representative of the style - is only placeholder for now!
All backers will receive a copy of the deluxe version of Stay Out of My Dungeon! which includes a new type of special equipment and spells to keep your dungeon safe!
Hear what others have had to say about Stay Out of My Dungeon!
Well aren't those reviews just glowing! Check out the full reviews here:
Stay Out of My Dungeon! is getting press. Check out this article by the BU News Service (BUNS).
In Stay Out of My Dungeon! players take on the role of goblins trying to defend their dungeon from the greedy king Flumperdump. Players take turns visiting and building various locations in and around their dungeon. From flame throwing turrets, to sharkodile moats, to poison traps, players must work cooperatively to build each location to perfection before the King's royal guard shows up. Check out this video from the kind folks at BoardtoDeath.tv.
Our artistic team is hard at work. We are proud to finally be able to upload some samples of the finished products. Behold a sample set of Equipment cards in all their splendor!
Okay, now back to placeholder artwork...
Players accomplish this feat by drawing and playing Action cards. Action cards are either Construction Cards or Equipment/Spells. Construction cards are played face down at a location. Once enough cards are played, they're shuffled and revealed. If the sum is high enough, the progress tracker for that location is increased.
But it's not so easy. Each turn, an Invasion Card is drawn. Invasion Cards are either unwanted events or an actual invading army. Invading armies will arrive at your locations and must be defeated. Invading armies who are not defeated will share secrets with the King's guard, thus expediting the arrival of the King's guard.
Special Loot available in the Deluxe Edition! All backers will receive the deluxe edition of Stay Out of My Dungeon! Defeating an invading army offers the players the opportunity to draw Special Loot cards. Special Loot cards are rare, powerful, equipment and spells.
As if that weren't enough, the slimy King has enlisted the help of a Spy. At the start of the game, each player will be dealt a Loyalty card signifying their allegiance which is kept hidden from other players. There are four Loyalty cards - Loyal, Spy, Anarchist, and Selfish Jerk - and each Loyalty card has their own win condition.
For instance, the Loyal goblins just want a secure dungeon and will share victory with other Loyal goblins. The spy, of course, wants the King's guard to arrive and plunder the dungeon. The Selfish Jerk wants a secure dungeon but also immortality in the form of legend. He seeks the most risky / courageous path as possible. Lastly, the anarchist - while he doesn't want the King to arrive - still wants to cause... well.. anarchy. He's weird like that.
Each player plays as one of six unique goblins. Each goblin has a set of 3 attributes (Power, Resilience, and Craft) as well as a unique passive ability and a once-per-game thematic Mega ability. Some goblins are natural fighters, others natural builders.
To add even more spice, players can achieve Individual Reward Cards for being the player to put the finishing touches on a specific defensive location (i.e. "perfecting" the build). These reward cards have beneficial passive abilities and harmful Mega abilities which can be used once per game. The mega abilities can be used by Spies, Anarchists, or Selfish Jerks, to ease their path to victory. Loyal players must think hard before allowing other players to wield such powerful cards.
Simply put, we want to make this game look and feel as beautiful as it will be to play. Thus, our primary purpose for Kickstarting is to be able to purchase the art this game deserves. If our back base is sufficiently large, we can cash in on those economies of scale and put the savings into even more art for this game, as well as additional updates including linen boxes, UV overlay on all cards, new characters, and even a new location.
What Has Changed?
As you may be aware, we ran a campaign for Stay Out of My Dungeon! back in May of 2016. The new and improved game has several major and important changes. A lot of these changes came from your feedback and we cannot thank you enough. The major changes are as follows:
- 4-6 players: Stay Out of My Dungeon! is now playable with 4-6 players! Balancing a traitor game with multiple players is difficult but with some of the ingenious recommendations from our fans/backers, we were able to do it. After months of heavy play-testing, we're thrilled with the changes.
- 2 New Loyalty Types: There are now 4 playable Loyalty types. The Loyal goblin and Spy are still there, with there same awesome abilities. Joining the loyalty ranks are the Selfish Jerk and the Anarchist. They each have separate win conditions and make for a significantly more rich game experience. The Selfish Jerk wants all of the glory. The Anarchist doesn't really know what he wants!
- 2 New Locations: Adding to the variety is the inclusion of two new Locations: the armory and the forge. These locations will give players more options and, while not needed to win the game, they will increase your chances if you are able to complete them. One other reason for the addition of the armory and forge is to ease the difficulty of winning as the Selfish Jerk.
- Updated Location Individual Rewards: because not all players win by building the best dungeon imaginable, we've included more ways to do bad things. Each Primary Location individual reward has a passive "good" benefit and a once-per-game mega "bad" effect. We wanted players to weigh the decision of perfecting a location more heavily.
- Special Loot: Special Loot offers some truly great rewards for players who put themselves at the most risk. After an invader is defeated, the player in the 1-spot roles the loot die (a 6-sided die). There is a chance to draw from the special loot deck (2 in 6), heal 1 HP (1 in 6), or heal 2 HP (1 in 6). The remaining faces are blank. Special Loot comes in the same 3 equipment types as Action cards (offensive, defensive, and spells).
Azzy Cola is a professional artist and designer. Check out his deviantart page. By backing this project, you are not only supporting this game but also helping artists like Azzy make beautiful artwork and continuing to pursue their passions.
Risks and challenges
No project is without its risk. That said, our primary purpose for Kickstarting is to give this game the art assets it deserves and so we believe the only material risk present to backers of this project is that they may receive an only-acceptably-beautiful version of this game and not a stunningly-drop-your-panties-beautiful version of this game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)