Sprite DLight beta build 0.4
New features and bug fixes
First of all, I would like to thank you all for your patience. Bringing 0.4 to a releasable state took a lot more time than I had expected.
If you have backed the project via Kickstarter or PayPal, you will receive a download link and the change-log within the next few hours.
Fortunately, this new build brings a lot of amazing changes.
The zoom feature that has been there in the very first beta build of Sprite DLight had been removed due to issues with other new features like variable resizing of the app and the image, and the option to pick a background color.
Now it is back in all of its glory, waiting for you to go crazy on the mouse wheel.
The zoom feature works with all maps and it greatly improves the functionality of the "Pick Background Color" feature, since it is a lot easier to pick the color of a certain pixel when zooming in.
Another neat new feature is the "Detail Focus" option, which allows you to choose between local luminance and lightness differences as the main source for the surface details recognition algorithm.
In some cases, changing this option does make a huge difference, especially when your sprite has vibrant color contrasts.
The full list of changes will be sent out to all backers together with the download link, and it will be also published in the Sprite DLight Forum.
Some of the most exciting changes are:
- The Truevision Targa file format (*.tga) is now supported for saving and loading of images.
- The "calculating" splash screen now has a bar that shows the progress of map generation processes and other calculations.
- Batch processing now offers the option to include subfolders (Pro feature).
- The output format for the files created with batch processing can now be specified (*.png, *.bmp, *.tga, *.tif) (Pro feature).
- The default map generation behavior has been changed: The tool now only creates a Normal Map automatically. Additional maps will be generated when their tabs are clicked. The old behavior is available as an option.
- Lots of bug fixes!
Let me know!
The tool is getting closer to a releasable state and I am still on the lookout for things that have to be changed before handing out the final version and releasing the app on Steam.
I'd like to thank everyone who helped to shape build 0.4 with bug and crash reports, as well as suggestions.
Are you missing a feature or an option? Does something feel not intuitive? Let me know!
Sometimes it is as easy as dropping me a mail or sending me a message on twitter, just like a backer did last week, asking for the labels of Checkboxes and Radiobuttons to also be clickable.
One hour after that tweet, the suggested change was already made for 0.4, together with a hover effect for clickable labels at the mouse position.
The Sprite DLight Forum is also a great place to post suggestions. If you are not already registered, you can do it here!
There are some more exciting updates coming soon, including the long awaited free demo and more tutorials!