Join Jackelyne and fight on two battlefields at once in this comicbook styled sci-fi adventure!
Join Jackelyne and fight on two battlefields at once in this comicbook styled sci-fi adventure!
Dimension Drive is a comic book-styled space adventure set in a multidimensional universe. It features a unique teleportation mechanic that allows you to fight on two battlefields at once, and gameplay combining frantic shooting, defense and fast puzzling action. We'll need YOUR help to make Dimension Drive the high-quality release you deserve, and bring this unique mix of genres, storytelling and action to reality.
The Ashajuls, a cruel multidimensional alien race, are attacking our universe. Fight as Jackelyne Tywood (a.k.a. Jack) in The Manticore, a legendary ship capable of teleporting across space and dimensions. Uncover the mysteries of your past and the origin of the Dimension Drives with your trusty friend and A.I., "V.E.R.A.", at your side.
Dimension Drive will be released on Windows, Mac and Linux at the end of 2015--completely DRM-Free. If you'd like to see the game on Steam, please remember to vote for our Steam Greenlight campaign!
- A New Type of Shoot’Em Up: Dimension Drive is a Dual-Battlefield vertical Shoot’Em Up with a focus on smart, quick teleporting.
- Rich Sci-fi Adventure: Unfold the secrets of the Dimension Drives and your past, teleport across the multiverse fighting the ultimate threat, and meet new races and allies!
- Clever Mix of Three Mechanics: A seamless combination of levels focusing on strategic shooting, fast puzzling and frantic defense make the core of Dimension Drive an exciting and varied one.
- 2 Wars at Once: Multitask and teleport to single-handedly fight in two shoot'em up levels at the same time.
- 4 Game Modes: Arcade, Modern, Pacifism and 1 Credit Clear all force you to approach the game in different ways and add replay value!
- Comic Book Style: Experience the story of Jack Tywood through gorgeous, dynamic motion comics fitting the cel-shaded style and visual "pop" of the main game. In Dimension Drive, video games meet comics. Who said space was just black?
- Energy Management: The Manticore is powered by Dimension Drive energy. Carefully decide when and where to teleport while in the midst of combat.
- Advanced Scoring System: Shoot'em up fans and genre newcomers alike will enjoy our unique scoring system that rewards you for playing truly well, rather than simply shooting enemies.
- Teleportation!: We've said that already, right? It's what makes our game really unique! No? Okay then--Teleportation!
With an experienced team of designers, artists, programmers, composers, voice actors, writers and your help, we'll polish these features and the entire Dimension Drive experience to a STELLAR shine!
The core of Dimension Drive is more than just having two shoot'em ups side-by-side. Everything in Dimension Drive is designed from the ground up to take full advantage of the Dual-Battlefield. This means that enemy squadrons, attacks, patterns, bosses, weapons, and even the level types are designed to fully utilize two battlefields. Mindlessly shooting is not enough--strategy and quick reaction is key. Every jump you make counts!
Creating dual levels is tons of fun but it also doubles the amount of work. Your pledges will allow us to spend the time needed to refine the gameplay and make everything work in perfect sync.
Dimension Drive's approach to Energy management can be summed up as "kill or be killed." Shooting consumes Dimensional Energy on the side you are currently fighting on. When you destroy an enemy, you gain some of that energy back--for the opposite side. This means you must constantly be on the move, teleporting across both sides of the Dimensional Divide to survive!
Shooting, Puzzle, and Defense--three sets of mechanics that, when combined, create the varied levels seen in Dimension Drive. Each level will highlight one of these 3 mechanics, while mixing elements of the others to keep the action dynamic, difficult and (most importantly) fun.
We are targeting 4 "issues" (every one containing a unique world), with 4 "chapters" each. Ideally, we want to make Dimension Drive as large as possible while still telling an engaging story (which is why we included 4 modes that extend the replay value significantly). However, we also don't wish to fall into the trap of creating a lot of "content" that is, ultimately, the same.
Tons of bullets, lasers, mines, energy pulses and epic boss fights await you! These levels reimagine the classic shoot'em up formula of constant combat and evasion with multidimensional teleporting that allows you to fight two space battles at once.
With your help, our artists will have time to create more designs like this incredible dual boss fight:
In these levels, the environment is your enemy! Race through moving walls, asteroids, blast doors, lava fields, lasers and hazards that will bring you back to the good old days of R-Type. However, in Dimension Drive, you have a new trick up your sleeve...you can teleport!
Find the right moments and places to teleport before it's too late!
The multiverse is counting on you to save them. Key positions are under attack that must be defended at all costs. You can't let them down!
Waves of attackers swarm every 30 seconds. If you don't destroy all enemies on both sides of the Dimensional Divide, those counting on you will be lost and the wave will restart. Be swift, be accurate, and teleport frantically to clear the screen and save the Dimensions!
Dimension Drive seamlessly blends video games and comics. Experience the story of Jackelyne Tywood through amazing hand-drawn motion comics, fight the Ashajuls across the multiverse and discover new alien races. Your interaction with Jack's story is not limited to cut-scenes between levels, but also extends to certain areas directly within the game as well.
All of this is only be possible with your help. Your pledge will allow our artists to create more of the wonderful work (still in an early state!) you see here.
The Dimension Wars
The universe is composed of infinite dimensions. Many millennia ago, a race known as the Ashajuls rose to power. Spaceflight granted them total domination of their galaxy. They rapidly conquered other races, turning their peaceful neighbors into slaves to further expand their war-machine. Terror, oppression and desolation reached every corner of the universe--and yet the Ashajuls wanted more.
The discovery of the Dimension Drives allowed them to begin a brutal campaign to conquer every galaxy across the infinite dimensions. As of now, it seems The Dimension Wars may last...forever…
Found orbiting the planet Vain while only a child, Jackelyne Tywood ("Jack" for short) is the only survivor of the Dalkian race--wiped from existence by the Ashajuls for the simple crime of being alive.
Accompanied by her personal guardian--an artificial intelligence named V.E.R.A. (Virtual Entity for Rapid Action)--by the age of 14, Jack was already the best pilot in Vain’s fleet. Now, the only remnant she holds of her past is a data cube with a recording of her father's last words: “Jack, run! Live, be happy...We love you!”
The Manticore is the only ship in the known universe with Dimension Drive capability besides the Ashajul motherships. Nobody knows much about it, as it was discovered at the same time Jack appeared on Vain.
While The Manticore is of Dalkian design it seems that a great deal of its technology predates that race--and for that matter, any currently known. Despite being a small craft, its advanced weapons systems coupled with the ability to warp through space and dimensions make The Manticore the best single-pilot ship in the universe.
The Ashajuls are a race of beings whose every aspect, every moral, social and cultural standard, every technology, advance and invention, has evolved to facilitate a single purpose--war.
They have lived for centuries in a constant state of chaos and combat, conquering races and erasing entire civilizations from existence. They want nothing else. They know nothing else. This is the enemy you must fight. Good luck.
Little is known of Nies, leader of the Ashajuls. Advanced knowledge of cybernetics has granted him immortality, and with its limitless time to lay waste to a powerless galaxy. He knows no fear, feels no regret...Holds a thousand lifetimes of hatred, crystallized into a single thought: Destroy. Jackelyne. Tywood. Outside of this, no one knows what goes on inside of that mind--and frankly, it's probably for the best.
Dimension Drive is built by gamers, for gamers. Over the past year of development, we've taken great care to listen to the community (and came to Kickstarter because we plan to keep it that way). Since replayabilty is something people asked for from the start, we constructed Dimension Drive around 4 pillars: Game Modes, Online Leaderboards, Level Statistics, and Achievements.
- Arcade: One hit per life, three hits and you die--classic retro madness.
- Modern: A four-hit shield per life protects you somewhat, but mindless shooting or poor teleporting skills will still send you back to the main menu.
- Pacifism: No shields, no weapons. Just teleport through waves of bullet madness to clear levels without firing a single shot (unlocked after beating Modern or Arcade).
- 1 LC: With only one life and no save games, 1 Life Clear contains the highest stakes imaginable. Complete the game in a single session without getting hit once (unlocked after beating Arcade).
These are the essential game modes of Dimension Drive. Every extra mode adds a lot of work in terms of design and playtesting. With your help, we'll be able to do this properly and maybe even add more ways to play!
We've carefully crafted a scoring system designed to keep you playing and replaying the game. Killing enemies will raise your multiplier, but being hit or getting low on energy will reset it. The highest scores can only be achieved by teleporting constantly, weaving through a rain of bullets and obliterating anything and everything that comes your way. Sound easy? Then try it yourself and challenge your friends online!
Destruction percentage, lives remaining, data cubes collected, energy warnings...We throw all of that data into our super-complex wavelet transformation algorithm and give you a rank for each level. Will you achieve the best?
We know, it's been done already--maybe some of you are even a bit tired of them--but we as gamers are suckers for awesome achievements so we're putting some crazy ones in there:
We're all huge fans of comics and science fiction, so with Dimension Drive, it seemed only logical to combine them. We also realized the unique game concept behind Dimension Drive required some really original visuals. Max Heyder is the mastermind behind the art style of Dimension Drive. He has worked on more than a dozen projects including Keltoi, Dust Run, Kitsune and Trail Blaze. The result of Max's work is that you'll see ships, environments and explosions that could have been taken from the pages of a comic book. Only here, with the magic of VIDEO GAMES, you get cool lighting and image processing effects!
Yes, we could have worked with a single composer. Then again, we could have also made a typical single-screen shoot'em up, right? Our two experienced musicians, Jose Mora and Daniel Polman, have teamed up to craft a soundtrack that will resonate throughout the universe. Just listen to some of the pieces that they've already created:
David Jimenez and Alejandro Santiago work as engineers at the European Space Agency. In our spare time we are developing Dimension Drive, our passion project. Dimension Drive is a game about all the things we love: space, science fiction, aliens, teleportation and great female heroes (Ripley from Aliens is our favorite).
We have been thinking about the concept underlying Dimension Drive for some time, and even created a few small prototypes. However, in 2014, we decided to work tirelessly to create something much grander. The game of our dreams--Dimension Drive. Feedback from the community helped us tweak it and make it better. And now, with a bigger team that includes a band of talented artists and musicians, we can make something truly special.
Not an average shooter with a tacked on story, but something that mixes several genres and artistic elements. Something that blends the universe of a space opera with emotive motion comics and our passion for science fiction/amazing MULTIDIMENSIONAL EXPLOSIONS into a digital sized pill of pure awesome!
Until now, we've been funding development from our own savings. The amount we're asking for will allow us to support the team to not only bring Dimension Drive--the game we love--to life, but make it the game you as backers and players deserve!
- € 5 (~US $5, ~ £4) VAIN CITIZEN: A Big Heartfelt Thank You from the team + an exclusive Backer Wallpaper.
- € 10 (~US $10, ~ £7) EARLY WARP: Everything in the 12€ tier, but cheaper! Get it while it's hot! This is the Early Bird tier, and only 100 are available!
- € 12 (~US $12, ~ £9) DIMENSION DRIVE: A Digital Copy of the game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper. Play the game and decorate your desktop with our amazing art--at the same time!
- € 15 (~US $16, ~ £11) ESSENTIAL GEAR: A Digital Instruction Manual + a Digital Copy of the game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper. It's dangerous out there--take this and obliterate Ashajuls with tips and tricks straight from us!
- € 20 (~US $21, ~ £15) DOUBLE DRIVE: Not one, but 2 copies of the Game! One for you and one for your wingman! Why fly alone, when you can do it with your best buddy?
- € 25 (~US $27, ~ £18) DRIVE ENGINEER: Early Beta access to the game + a Digital Copy of the game + the exclusive backer wallpaper! We'll include your name in the credits and you will have the opportunity to help us improve the game with feedback, suggestions and requests.
- € 30 (~US $32, ~ £23) MUSIC FAN: Digital Soundtrack + Early Beta access to the game + a Digital Copy of the game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper! Listen to the awesome tunes of Jose Mora and Daniel Polman whenever and wherever you want.
- € 40 (~US $42, ~ £29) NAME IT: Name one of the Enemy Ships + Digital Soundtrack + Early Beta access to the game + a Digital Copy of the game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper. You give us the name, we put it in the game! Only 48 are available! Names subject to approval--nothing inappropriate.
- € 50 (~US $53, ~ £36) COMIC FAN: Digital Comic Book + Digital Soundtrack + Early Beta access to the game + a Digital Copy of the game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper! We'll collect all of the story scenes in the game into a marvelous comic book by Sergi Cardo. A great piece for fans of the game/sci-fi adventure!
- € 60 (~US $64, ~ £44) THE ARTIST: Digital Concept Art Book + Digital Comic Book + Digital Soundtrack + Early Beta access to the game + a Digital Copy of the Game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper! You love art and want to see the process behind the scenes--we got you covered! You'll receive a wonderfully designed Concept Art Book with all the work-in-progress material used to create the game.
- € 80 (~US $85, ~ £58) DATA CUBE: Limited edition (only 200 available) PHYSICAL COPY OF THE GAME + Digital Concept Art Book + Digital Comic Book + Digital Soundtrack + Early Beta access to the game + the exclusive Backer Wallpaper!
- € 100 (~US $106, ~ £72) THE COLLECTOR: An amazing Dimension Drive T-SHIRT + EVERYTHING from the 80€ tier! Only 200 available.
- € 150 (~US $159, ~ £108) THE LIBRARIAN: Printed Copies of all Books (Manual, Comic and Concept Art) + EVERYTHING from the 100€ tier! Only 200 available.
- € 250 (~US $265, ~ £181) THE MANTICORE: 3D-Printed version of The Manticore + EVERYTHING from the 150€ tier. Only 200 of these will be produced.
- € 500 (~US $530, ~ £362) ASHAJUL PILOT: Collaborate with us to Design and Name a new Enemy Ship! Give us your ideas and we'll take care of the rest. Includes ALL REWARDS ABOVE. Limited to 30 units.
- € 1000 (~US $1060, ~ £725) ASHAJUL COMMANDER: Collaborate with us to Design and Name a new enemy BOSS! Help us create the ultimate foe, and then fight against it in-game! Give us your ideas and we'll take care of the rest. Includes ALL REWARDS ABOVE. Only 4 available!
- € 2000 (~US $2120, ~ £1450) ASHAJUL GENERAL: The Ashajul fleet awaits your orders! Collaborate with us to design a FULL NEW LEVEL! Don't worry, we'll make sure it doesn't break the game. ;) Includes ALL REWARDS ABOVE. Only 4 available!
- € 7000 (~US $7410, ~ £5065) THE HERO: Turns out Jack is not alone in her fight against the Ashajuls. Your planet was destroyed by the Ashajuls when you were only a child, your family murdered in the process. You managed to escape in The Manticore and have been raised by a race of friendly aliens... but you're not Jack! The question now is who the Hell is this Jack and why does she have a ship so similar to yours?! This was bound to happen with so much inter-dimensional travel. Pledging to this tier means we'll create a new protagonist for the game--YOU (or a friend, family member, pet, piece of fruit...you name it)! With a new story and custom-painted Manticore, you and every player adopting your likeness can BECOME A HERO AND SAVE THE MULTIVERSE! This is also most exclusive reward tier--only 1 available! Includes ALL REWARDS ABOVE.
Risks and challenges
This is not the first game we have developed (check the Team section for more information) so we believe our schedule/budget is realistic. Although unforseen circumstances can lead to delays or added costs, we believe we're prepared for all possiblities.
Alejandro has more than 14 years of experience as a developer and David has been leading projects for the last 8. We've got a team with tremendous talent and experience, and demonstrated with our previous titles/Dimension Drive betas that we can make this game a reality. However, without proper funding, the scope, depth and breadth of the game will need to be drastically reduced and the release date delayed.
We're targeting several platforms (possibly more if we hit those stretch goals!), but even if Unity makes things easier, porting takes an incredible amount of work.
There's also the chance Ashajuls may decide to attack OUR dimension. In that unlikely event, we won't be able to finish the game as we'll be running for our lives. However, look at the bright side--you'll get to experience the Dimension Drive universe for real as an Innocent Bystander!
It'll be even better than VR!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)