About this project
LINX were created because I wanted a construction game that was cheap, flexible and light. With LINX you can build everything from ambitious room-sized structures to intricate table-top sculptures, all using LINX connectors and standard drinking straws. LINX are portable, less expensive than anything else around, and ultra light weight, so that even if your mammoth construction falls, no one gets hurt. Here are a few more reasons why LINX are awesome:
• Modular and Flat. The connectors come in flat grids which easily snap apart, intersect, and lock into place to create a three dimensional star shape to allow for more complex structures.
• Standard Straws. The connectors are designed to accommodate most standard straws that can be found in your local grocery, drug, or big-box store.
• Limitless Building. By cutting, bending, or using multiple colors of straws, the possibilities are endless. You can make highly organized geometric structures, or free-form tangles.
• Educational. Beyond being a fun way to spend an afternoon, LINX inspire creativity and give children an opportunity to develop their motor and spatial skills through hands-on play. If the campaign is successful, one of our first goals will be to get LINX in the hands of teachers and physical therapists.
• Sustainable. We are striving to make LINX as sustainable as possible. The connectors will be made out of a kid-friendly recycled or bio plastic in the US, and come in the most minimal of packaging. Additionally, LINX are designed to be manufactured with little or no waste, and we’ll be involved in every step of the process to ensure socially responsible practices.
Sounds great right? But without your help LINX won’t get off the ground. The LINX prototypes are complete, the materials and manufacturing research has been done, now all we need is your support to get the first production run going. The LINX connectors need to be injection molded, which has a very high setup cost. Your pledge will go toward creating the needed injection mold, developing packaging, and meeting our first minimum order quantity at the factory.
Please consider helping kickstart LINX by pledging at the $25 level and receive 5 LINX grids, thats 180 pieces, enough to make all of the constructions in the video and images below.
I know, $30,000 seems like a lot, but through my research and the advice I've been given, it is the right number. Just to give you an idea of some of the costs, the injection mold alone will cost between $10,000 and $20,000; crazy I know, but that's exactly why I need your help!
Support this project
- (30 days)