Welcome to my Moon's On the Rise Kickstarter page!
I've been making music my entire life and over the years have had some of the greatest opportunities a singer could wish for, releasing 9 records for a wide range of record companies, from small independents such as the short-lived Lake Shore Jazz to the great Blue Note Records, and touring from New York to LA and Marrakesh to Thessaloniki. My story, though, is the story of many. As the established music industry has become increasingly fickle, many creative artists have had to become more self reliant.
After being dropped by Blue Note a year after the release of Tangled (2006), Hans Sturm (my manager-producer-bassist husband, who also put this Kickstarter project together for me) suggested a bold new project. In August of 2007 I was engaged to sing at the Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago's Millennium Park with the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic. Inspired by that experience, we collaborated with long time musical colleagues and friends and created a concert of 'star' themed music, Starry Night - that resulted in Starry Night Live, my first live CD ever and my first CD accompanied by an orchestra!
Back in 2007 Kickstarter did not exist and we actually sold a car (and became a one van family) to pay for the recording. We're still a one-van family, but with the help of Kickstarter (and you!), we hope to find the funding to complete the new project and help support a new tour. Emboldened by the success of the ambitious Starry Night CD and tour, we are finalizing plans for a brand new recording of all new original tunes, Moon's On the Rise. The project will feature my core small band since 2003's Men In My Life - for those of you who are familiar with my music most of the names will be familiar:
- Chicago guitarist John Moulder is a force of nature. He's played on my last 4 CDs and also with many of the greatest names in creative music including Eddie Harris, Bob Mintzer, Paul Wertico, and Gary Burton.
- Percussionist Dane Richeson is a master world percussionist who has studied in Ghana, Cuba, and Brazil. He always brings a rich palette of colors and rhythms, as he has to my last 4 CDs, and has performed with such diverse artists as Bobby McFerrin, NDR Big Band of Germany, and Kenny Wheeler.
- Bassist Hans Sturm - what can I say - he's my husband, writes music and plays the bass. When he's not playing with me I have been known to occasionally let him out to play with folks such as Roscoe Mitchell, Stanley Jordan, Eddie Daniels. And, we made a pretty cool duo record together back in the 90's, Landscapes.
- Keyboardist Tom Larson is the newest member of the band. Last year Hans took a new position at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he met Tom. A quietly brilliant pianist and composer, Tom has written scores for several full length PBS documentaries and played such heavyweights as Chris Potter, Paul Schaffer, and Bo Diddley.
Hans wrote the lyrics and composed all of the new music for Moon's On the Rise for me. Some of you may be familiar with his work, but for those of you who aren't here are three samples from earlier recordings. You Become My Song (Love Is Blue) was co-written by great vibraphonist and composer Bobby Hutcherson. Turnin' Round (Love Is Blue) is a novelty word-play tune about a relationship that's gone sour. The beautiful Hot Stone Soup (Tangled) was written for his mother who is suffering from severe dementia.
So we're ready - the music for the new CD is written. The band is gathering in Lincoln to engage in an Arts Across Nebraska tour that will culminate in a sold-out performance in the Lied Center's Johnny Carson Theater on November 2nd. We go into The Warehouse to record the very next day and you can be a part of this process with your generous donation.
The new tune list includes:
- NOLA Love Song - 2nd line tribute to the Big Easy
- Moon's On the Rise - bossa of seduction
- Bel Air BBQ - fast cars and KC BBQ shuffle
- Holy Man - one for the old school TV evangelists
- Dark Butterflies - slow milonga with a nature theme
- Rose Fingered Dawn - evocative middle eastern rap
- Steal the Night - ballad elegy for two great artist-teachers
- Sweet Dreams - invitation to relax with a groove
- The Laugh That Is You - light, sweet, swing
- Time - high energy question, where does it go?
For those of you who would like to read more about me, I invite you to stop by my website: JackieAllen.com or Facebook page. If you would like to see more about me in a video format, we made a promotional EPK for Blue Note in 2006 that features live performances and comments from fans, critics, and a variety of industry professionals.
Thank you so much for your interest and support!
Risks and challenges
This will be my 11th CD and the 6th with the same core band. So although it's true that the way music is getting into the hands of fans is changing everyday, we've been down this path before and have a very good idea of what to expect through the entire process. The music has been written and arranged, travel arrangements for the musicians have been made, rehearsals and performances are scheduled and, perhaps by the time you read this, the tracking will be completed. The next steps in the process include mixing - which normally takes 3-4 times the length of recording - then mastering, and finally the physical CD package design and ordering.
At this point I would like to share that we are committed to completing the project - your generosity through Kickstarter will allow us to afford the time in professional level studios necessary to do the detail work that can transform a good record into a great one and promote it properly. Since all of the tunes are originals, there are no copyright issues that stand in our way of distributing the music as we wish. Should we be fortunate enough to have funds remaining after the CD project is mixed, mastered, and pressed, we will use those funds to help with promotion and touring. I would like to invite you to become a part of this process.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)