21 Steps To A Million! = Book + Real World Game (RWG).
Most other games do not have 'Real World' consequences. Not so in this game. RWG rewards you where it matters. In your real life.
21 Steps To A Million! = Book + Real World Game (RWG).
Most other games do not have 'Real World' consequences. Not so in this game. RWG rewards you where it matters. In your real life.
World's FIRST 'Real World Game' (RWG).
To clarify exactly what I have created so there is no misconception regarding this project. This book and game neither offers or guarantees any financial reward, in any way, shape or form, for either the Kickstarter backer or any subsequent book purchaser or subscriber to the Website.
What it does do however, is provide the tools for anyone in the world to play competitively, with or against, anyone else. Using the tools, resources, contacts and experience provided through the book, and each individual personal account on the Website. Each account is a unique player. The tools provided are Real World, not 'magic beans' or a 'magic wand'. Everything is there to help you play, the Website will provide an online 'Board' which will be individually customisable for your account. The 'Board' shown here is a simple colourful representation of my general idea. It is a 'Game Visualiser' to show you exactly where you are in relation to your game objective, it will show you where you are in relation to others playing online, it will also show your contribution when playing as a team.
It will also provide communication and trading opportunities with other players as well as recommended lists of places to buy and to sell. All Kickstarter backers will be contacted and asked to submit designs for online templates and will be fully credited on the website. The most popular and practical 'Board' will also be made into a physical game board and offered for sale on our website. The designer will have many 21 Steps goodies provided, including the first board off the production line with their name on it and a certificate of confirmation.
So, back to the Game......
To become seriously wealthy, you generally have to be either, very lucky, commonly winning a lottery, game or sport, of some description.
- Marrying in to wealth and power, or having it bequeathed to you is another way to obtain that elusive 'Pot of Gold' at the end of the proverbial rainbow, which is otherwise almost impossible to achieve, and harder still to achieve legally.
- Perhaps you have a unique talent that people will pay large sums to witness you perform.
- You could simply be in the right place, with the right product or idea, at the right time. Creating a successful business surrounded by the right people to progressing it to how ever many levels it will go.
- There are those few who can manage the mortgage and bills, raise their children, take family holidays and still build a successful business. They are rare individuals, but they do exist.
- However, for us mere mortals, we work every hour to keep pace with the increasing debt burden family and society heap upon us, hoping to despatch all our offspring from our family home to worthy occupations before our physical and mental resolve completely fail and we implode...... More fodder for the rest home....
There are many of us that have the ability to be seriously wealthy, we just do not have the organisation, time, money, ideas, resources or contacts. Or any combination thereof!
You do now!
Unlike traditional board games, such as Monopoly, which is a superb game, but based on the throw of a dice over which you do not have any real control, in 21 Steps you have complete control, as it is based upon your decisions. Remember all the money and property you put back in to the box after hours of playing and arguing? This time it is real.
And you get to keep it.
This is the next generation of ARG (Alternate Reality Game) which has been in existence since around 2001 and has grown consistently in popularity and diversity.
21 Steps is an RWG (Real World Game) which differs mainly in the way the problems are solved, and the infinite number of solutions, and rewards available. There is not really a 'right' or' wrong' way to solve the problems and reach your goal. It does not even have to be the full Million plus, it can be any amount you choose. It can also be achieved as an individual, as a member of the 21 Steps Club, or as part of the whole 21 Steps online community, sharing everything and working collaboratively towards a common goal. Every member of 21 Steps will have the ability to communicate with other members via telephone, email, social media, or just meeting at a cafe or restaurant to buy, sell or just to say 'hello'. Users experiences in the game will be uploaded to video when they reach key milestones, explaining briefly how they achieved their success.
It could even be taken to the next level. 31 Steps to a Billion!
The common factor is the use of Transmedia Story Telling (TST).
'Transmedia storytelling (also known as transmedia narrative or multiplatform storytelling, cross-media seriality) is the technique of telling a single story or story experience across multiple platforms, and formats, using current digital technologies'
The first media containing the story will be the book, '21 Steps to a Million'. Each Kickstarter backer will be given an account online that allows a free download of the EBook, which is a combination of fact, and fiction. I call it Faction.
There will be a combination of fictional and real characters in this story, real, partially real and artistic licence events will take place, all culminating in an amusing, creative and structured method of playing the game. As each real game progresses, there will possibly be unlimited individually numbered versions of this book, each relating to real life stories of you, the player, each book can contain one, or many stories of goals achieved, and how that was done. All will be electronically downloadable and printed physically as demanded.
Users reaching a million plus will become part of the '21 Steps Millionaires Club' and will be personally interviewed and their story will become an edition of the Millionaires Library which will detail the trials and successes that led them to the completion of the RWG 21 Steps. This will form another handbook, or manual, that describes how to achieve completion. The new Millionaire will receive a first and limited edition of his life story (100 copies will be available), and theirs will be in gold hardback to commemorate this success.
The concept is based upon a legend that many believe originated in India, and although there are many variations of the same story, they all agree that the Chess Board was responsible for the generation of something that would be difficult to believe if it was not easily proved mathematically.
In one version of the story the Indian King was a big chess enthusiast and had the habit of challenging wise visitors to a game of chess. One day a travelling sage, (wise man), was challenged by the king.
To motivate his opponent to play at his very best, the king offered any reward that the sage could name if he won the game. The sage modestly asked just for a few grains of rice using the following method. The king was to put a single grain of rice on the first chess square and double it on every consequent one.
After having lost the game, and being a man of his word, the King ordered a large sack of rice to be brought to the chess board. He then ordered his servant to place rice grains according to the arrangement: 1 grain on the first square, 2 on the second, 4 on the third, 8 on the fourth and so on: His servant quickly emptied the sack, the King slowly realised that he would be unable to fulfil his promise, when on the twenty first square the servant placed 1,048,576 grains of rice.
He bade him stop his task as the court mathematicians calculated that on the fortieth square the king would have had to put 1,099,511,627,776 grains of rice. And, finally the last double on the sixty fourth square the king would have had to put 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of rice which is equal to about 210 billion tons and is allegedly sufficient to cover the whole territory of India with a metre thick layer of rice.
At ten grains of rice per square inch, the above amount requires rice fields covering twice the surface area of the Earth, oceans included. Although the King was unaware of these statistics, he did know that he did not have enough rice to pay his debt.
It was at this point of realisation that the lord Krishna allegedly revealed his true identity to the King and told him that he did not have to pay the debt immediately but could do so over time. That is why to this day visiting pilgrims are still feasting freely on Paal Paysam (a creamy rice dish), thus, the King's debt to lord Krishna is still being repaid.
This is the simple and very basic principle of the game. 21 Steps. Double your money every step.
Start with a single Pound, a Dollar, a Euro, or any currency relevant to you that is approximate in exchange value to a single UK Pound Sterling. This is important as it would be very easy, for example, to achieve using a Vietnamese currency. You need about 33,000 Dong to buy just £1. That would not be in the spirit of the Game, as achieving a Million would be a much less rewarding experience accumulating a total value of approximately £30 Sterling.
There are no hard and fast rules in 21 Steps, only guidelines.
- 1. No borrowed money. This is cheating and you have to repay it, so you have not earned the money, therefore it is unacceptable.
- 2. No illegal gun or weapon trading - If you are licensed then it is legal and therefore acceptable.
- 3. No illegal drug or narcotic dealing - If you are licensed then it is legal and therefore acceptable.
- 4. No selling of borrowed assets, with or without the owners permission!
- 5. No selling of stolen goods of any kind, either by you, or anyone else on your behalf.
- 6. No selling of children, parents or friends, (however annoying). In fact no selling of people, unless you are selling their legal trade or profession with their written consent.
- 7. Each time you want to move a step up, only when all of your costs are paid and the amount you have left, free of any expenses accrued at any point in the game, can you correctly do so. Remember, you can only cheat yourself.
If anyone has any further general suggestions for things that would be unacceptable, please email to: email@example.com. We do not want to make a rule book, but good ideas are always welcome.
Does anyone really know who, or what they are? Perhaps you are one thing at a particular time in your life, then you evolve, or change through life experiences to become something different. Sometimes the complete antithesis of what you were, or thought you were.
Such has been my life. From teenage tearaway on a series of powerful motorcycles, to weapon toting decorated soldier in conflicts in which I had no conceivable interest in the outcome, apart from the desire for myself and my colleagues to escape in as close to one piece as possible. I was more fortunate than some.
Eventually regaining the undervalued status of civilian, my immediate ability to obtain work was fortunately greater than my ability to retain work, a problem many ex service personnel encounter. After a couple of years I became my own company and was much happier working on contracts where I did not have to suffer fools gladly and could liaise directly with decision makers. From here, with my background and interest in electronics, the age of the Personal Computer beckoned. I could see the potential immediately and needed to understand everything. So, as a mature student I enrolled full time at Northampton University, completed a three year B.Sc.(Hons) degree, and a further year for my Masters, all the time working on contracts, renovating my house, and serving as the elected Student Representative for the full period of both degrees.
Also at this time my son Oliver was born so I also had many family commitments, it is times like this when the skills of a Project Manager really pay dividends.
In all my time since I was a boy, I have had a real passion for reading. I went to several schools as my father insisted on moving to a new wrecked house every couple of years where I would spend a great deal of time assisting with making it habitable, only to move again as soon as it was. Not very motivating, but for personal trade skills, a great apprenticeship. A great deal of derision was heaped upon me when I volunteered as Librarian for every school I attended. Books were, and still are, my passion. I have always been a frustrated writer, and even submitted a couple of manuscripts, receiving a letter confirming a desire to publish my work. I still have the letter, tucked away safely. My fear was that my work would sit on a dusty shelf and finally be consigned to the sale bin and sold for a few pennies. Worse still, it would not sell even then!
That was my fear. So I have earned my living doing what I know.
I also have a Class 1 Heavy Goods Vehicle licence which I have maintained as I acquired it at the age of 19 whilst in the Army. It has always given me a feeling of security should I need it.
So here I am now, two children have left home, with two to go and the hourglass of my life significantly emptied. Looking around at actors and artists that are currently passing away around my age, famous names that I have grown up with, names that will be remembered for their work, suddenly I feel the need to leave something behind, apart from my offspring that is. I thought long and hard regarding what it would be I should leave behind, deciding eventually that it should be something that would benefit as many people as possible whilst also providing me with a guaranteed readership for my book(s).
Therefore, I have created the World's FIRST RWG with Transmedia Story Telling (TST) primarily as a book, but then as video etc; possibly culminating in a serialised TV documentary of people playing, or who have already completed the game, showing how their lives, and the lives of those around them, have changed as a result.
That is the first part of what I would choose to leave behind. It is said that; 'Every great journey starts with the first step'.
This therefore, is mine. Travelling alone however, is not an option.
So what does this project consist of? I hear you ask.........Well, a crisp and concise breakdown is this.
- A book which is a standalone entertainment package involving a variety of persons, real and imaginary, playing the RWG. Humourously explaining the strategies and tools utilised to achieve their goals. The book alone would justify the project and involve the input of several kickstarters as contributors of lines of script to full named characters (Kickstarter actual name, or designated name) and approved plot contribution. Dependant upon reward level chosen.
- A game (RWG), which would be a World first. A game where you can compete online against anyone in the world, pitting your buying and selling skills against the very best out there. Or simply setting a personal goal, and achieving it. We supply all the tools and information you require, you play at your own pace, and in your own way. Either competing at speed with other players, or just at your own pace until complete. Be either the Hare, or the Tortoise. The choice is entirely yours.
- A wide and comprehensive selection of rewards, with the possibility of becoming a Millionaire in only 21 steps. Start with a pound and in 21 operations be the proud owner of over a million of them. Sound simple? Well the principle is. If it works with a pound then the same principle applies with a hundred thousand, or more, of the same coin. You have to look past the quantity, just apply the principle.
- Become a founder member of potentially one of the biggest, fastest growing phenomenon since Microsoft, Apple, Facebook or Google. Your name will be forever etched in history.
- When you complete the 21 Steps, we will commission your personal autobiography, write and publish it. You will be presented with a Gold, limited edition, hardback copy for your achievement. The book will be made available also as an EBook and paperback for sale on our site, and also internationally.
- All books will be professionally published by using a combination of Lightning Source, Lulu and CreateSpace. They will also act as International distributors. All books will also be available to order from our website. Kickstarters will automatically have a free EBook download from their personal account and a significant discount on the purchase of physical copies. Physical copies will also be sent to Kickstarters relative to the reward level chosen.
- Also upon completion of the 21 Steps you will automatically become a member of the exclusive 21 Steps Club, with many, many benefits befitting the newly rich.
- The website will be constructed with my, and your assistance, using an independent company that will be contracted after successful funding has been achieved.
- The funding goal is relative to the initial amount of work and costs involved, however, we have several stretch goals that we would like to achieve, which will really give momentum to the project.
- We will also contact many of the providers of sales tools and propose they assist us with an advertising budget, as demonstrated by the Black & White game visualiser, by placing their logo on squares and providing a direct link to their site. This should prove to be valuable additional revenue, but as with all things, it needs the project to be successful, the greater the success, the greater the advertising revenue.
The funds raised in the Kickstarter will be used towards the printing, proofing, layout, editorial work and shipping of physical books. The books will be printed at a printer in the UK and then shipped directly to our backers and customers, or to distribution centres in the US and UK. Shipwire will provide support to our own selected couriers. The same will apply to any items purchased from our Website shop.
The money will also pay for the setup and hosting of the 21 Steps websites and creation of the unique database which will allow the RWG to function and fulfil the gaming ambitions and life goals of every dedicated player. Personally I love Halo, I always have, and so do my boys, but a day on Halo does not take me any closer to my life goals....Does kill a lot of monsters though! That however, is another, and totally different sense of satisfaction.
- We need to coordinate the completion of the first book, including contributions from Kickstarters at various reward levels,
- Also creating, integrating and approving the Game Visualiser templates,
- Creating personalised user accounts with EBook download of 21 Steps To A Million,
- Electronic download of your tax exemption certificate
- And the creation of a whole host of merchandise to further the support of our campaign.
- With the funding level we have set we can achieve our basic goal of launching and fulfilling our pledges. However, if we exceed this level we can really start to move forward at a much quicker pace, and achieve greater objectives:
- Such as the creation and establishment of our own Publishing company,
- The purchase of an Espresso Book making machine which produces, from scratch, a complete and bound book in approximately 6 minutes! Absolutely fantastic for short print runs and the production of EBooks inhouse. A service we can offer to all on our site.
We also need to make allowance for the translation of these books and the provision of multilingual access to our Website but that is a cost yet to be evaluated and will be totally dependant upon the amount raised in this campaign and the number of languages required for these issues to be addressed immediately. If we progress on the basis of site subscription and advertising revenue, then it will be addressed as the community grows, if we are hitting stretch goal territory, then this will be another area we will deal with sooner, rather than later. Which would be my preference.
I have listed below a list of 'Stretch Goals' that we would like to achieve,
Risks and challenges
I do not have any outstanding projects to complete. Neither do I anticipate starting any others, I am dedicating all my time, energy and money to this single RWG and associated book.
Nothing foreseeable will prevent the reward distribution as detailed within the rewards section of my project.
As this is predominantly software based, apart from the physical publication of the book, then we will need to create the website to allow the download of the book and establish user accounts.
Although I am well qualified within the Computer industry, I will be employing a company of Web Developers to build and maintain this site, as my time will be required for writing the remainder of the book, which is a very important part.
Also I will require time for liaising with my Kickstarter supporters to involve you, with not only the design aspect of the site as Beta Testers, but also creative input into the book as part of the upper rewards system.
Obviously there are challenges, but they really are opportunities to excel as a team. No single person is as smart as all of us together....This should be an awesome project which has the potential to change the lives of many people and help them reach their personal life goals...whilst also having a huge amount of fun, meeting people and going to places never travelled to otherwise.
Let the Games begin!
Thank you for your confidence.
Mr. Stephen D. Woods-Shepherd M.Sc., B.Sc.(Hons.).
B.Sc.(Hons.) = Bachelor of Science with Honours Degree in Computer Science and Object Oriented Software Engineering.
M.Sc. - Masters Degree in Data Communications and Office Systems.
Over many years I have been responsible, as Project Manager, for the development of many software and hardware projects within the Telecommunications and Chemical Waste industry. It is my intention to use my qualifications and experience to create, with your help, another successful 'on time, on budget' project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)