There is no elevator pitch for A Girl and Her Fed. Oh, the webcomic starts off simple enough... Girl meets boy, boy turns out to be a Secret Agent who's been watching her because she's been mistakenly identified as a terrorist, boy learns that he's a cybernetically-enhanced technopath with the ability to control all networked technologies... After that, things get complicated.
(I hope you enjoyed the sock puppets and the talking koala, because the tone of this Kickstarter will get formal from here on out. This is my business proposal to you, so to business!)
The Rachel Peng Novels
Rachel Peng is a survivor of a top-secret government program whose members chose to go public with what they could do, and what had been done to them. Now, Rachel works as the cyborg liaison to the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department. A former Warrant Officer with Army CID, Rachel has experience as both a cop and a sleuth, and her new role with the MPD requires her to apply these skills in high-stakes situations. DIGITAL DIVIDE, the first book in the series, was released in April of 2013. Its sequel, MAKER SPACE, will be released on March 3, 2014.
The Rachel Peng novels are set in the same universe as the webcomic, but they uncomplicate the setting, as the novels require no prior knowledge of the comic or its characters. They follow a procedural mystery format blended into a contemporary urban science fiction setting.
The purpose of this Kickstarter campaign is to convert DIGITAL DIVIDE and MAKER SPACE to audiobook format. Releasing the novels as audiobooks will achieve multiple goals, including:
- Meeting the requests for an audiobook format from readers who are already familiar with the series;
- Access to expanded audiences via audiobook distribution channels;
- New revenue opportunities for the author; and
- Improving accessibility to Rachel Peng's character.
Most of these goals are self-explanatory. As for the last, it is necessary to note that Rachel Peng is blind. While she uses her ability to perceive electromagnetic frequencies as a substitute for her vision, she's a remarkable character in that she cannot see or read without effort. Audiobook conversion would promote improved accessibility of these novels to persons who have visual impairment or reading disabilities.
A total of $7000 will be required to convert these two books to audiobook format. Funding will be used for:
- Studio recording fees
- Fair hourly wage for the voice artist
- Rewards for Kickstarter Backers
- Shipping and taxes
Backer rewards are offered as gifts for supporting this campaign. The number and type of gift(s) will depend on your contribution.
- Digital copies of the audiobooks.
- League Night: A Rachel Peng Story - A lightly-illustrated .pdf about that time Rachel took Shawn bowling. And then running.
- Desk nameplates - Backers at the $35 level get a "Rachel Peng" acrylic nameplate. Backers who pledge at the $50 level and up can customize their nameplates with their own name and title. Sample below.
- "Cuddly Hippo" T-shirts - The Office of Adaptive and Complementary Enhancement Technologies has its own team of wetworks specialists. Underestimate them at your peril. Add $1 for sizes 2XL and up. Sample below.
- OACET Badges - A jeweler with experience in producing custom decorative badges for law enforcement will be handling this reward for Backers who pledge $100 and up. Sample below.
If we pass the $7000 mark, there are multiple stretch goals planned. The first of these is physical copies of the audiobooks on flash drives at $10,000. Other stretch goals include Braille conversion of the novels, challenge coins, bonus comics and stories, and more! As each stretch goal is unlocked, the next will be announced.
It will take approximately 4 weeks to produce the Kickstarter rewards, and 8 weeks for recording and producing the two books. Estimated shipping dates are noted in the Backer reward categories.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell my stories, and thank you for your ongoing support.
Risks and challenges
As long as qualified service providers are used, conversion of an existing novel to an audiobook is a low-risk process. I have located a voice artist and a recording studio, and have already secured manufacturers for backer rewards. A project completion date of May has been set to give me ample time to acquire, package, and mail all materials associated with this Kickstarter. However, if the projected schedule goes according to plan, all materials will be shipped at the beginning of April.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)