KymoGen: Wave Energy Generator
KymoGen: Wave Energy Generator
The KymoGen harnesses the oceans waves to create clean, renewable energy.
The KymoGen harnesses the oceans waves to create clean, renewable energy. Read more
About this project
The KymoGen Wave Energy Generator is a source of clean, renewable power that will change the world of green energy.
The KymoGen is a platform that will float offshore, tethered to a mooring. When a wave approaches, the platform will rise, pulling on the mooring tether. As the wave passes, the platform resets to its original position for the next wave. The mooring tether is attached to a drive system inside of the KymoGen. When the mooring tether is pulled, it spins a flywheel, which will provide constant power between waves. The energy is then transferred to a generator.
Our goal is to create a lot of these generators. But we have to start with the prototype. We will build the first KymoGen, prove the concept to the world, and then work on the fabrication process to go full scale.
- Size: 8'L x 8'W x 18''H
- Weight: 800 Lbs. (est.)
- Estimated average output per day: 25 to 100 kilowatt hours
- Shell construction: High Strength Marine Composites
- Interior frame construction: Corrosion resistant tube frame
- Flywheel material: High strength composite
- Generator Motor: Brushless D/C
Energy output: 2 hp in 1 foot waves / 8 hp in 4 foot waves (Much larger KymoGens can be built to increase power output)
- Generates energy from waves
- Flywheel energy storage technology allows the KymoGen to output a consistent level of power between waves.
- Composite construction ensures longevity and reliability in the harshest of marine environments
- Corrosion resistant components to increase life cycle and lower maintenance
- Highly portable. Its size allows it to be transported easily compared to other sources of renewable energy
- Cost effective. The simplicity of the system makes it less expensive to produce, giving a higher return on investment.
- Made with readily available materials used and proven in the marine industry.
- Highly upgradable. The interior of the KymoGen has plenty of room for additional sensors, and other electronics.
- The KymoGen can be equipped with additional solar arrays or wind turbines to further increase its energy footprint.
- Easy setup. Attach the KymoGen to a mooring of suitable size and it is ready to generate power.
- Zero carbon emissions
- Small footprint. Compared to other sources of renewable energy, The KymoGen takes up a much smaller footprint, and its low profile preserves sight lines.
The KymoGen will change the world by creating clean, renewable energy from our oceans waves. Marine composite construction will ensure a long life cycle with as little maintenance as possible. The portability of the KymoGen makes it easy to deploy in any part of the world, and can fit into any location. Its low profile makes for unobstructed views, and can be easily customized to fit in with its surroundings. By using readily available materials, we are able to make the KymoGen cost effective, compared to the highly specialized parts and materials needed for other forms of renewable energy. This also makes repairs and servicing the unit much more economical. This will allow us to scale up production drastically to meet the demands of the growth of renewable energy. The KymoGen is a clean energy technology. The KymoGen is an ideal platform for additional solar arrays or wind turbines, vastly increasing the energy output per installation. Its small footprint will have very little impact to the marine environment. Its moving components are housed internally, making the danger of harming marine wildlife non-existent. This technology can be deployed quickly, efficiently, and wherever it is needed. As this technology is adopted, much larger platforms generating much more power can be created using similar technology.
We need your help in creating the KymoGen prototype. Your pledges will fund the fabrication of the prototype, as well as the in water testing. Its not every day you get a chance to save the world.
Risks and challenges
It is important that the KymoGen pays for itself within a short period of time. To accomplish this, the KymoGen needs to be made with readily available, cost effective materials, while still being durable.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)