Demo build notes:
- You may want to fiddle with your graphic settings before hitting new game.
- This is an alpha representation of the game - we'll be making changes as we see fit to make the game better and better up until release.
- Please send issues,suggestions, and anything else to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Looks like one of Tycho's songs reimagined in Unreal Engine 4." - KOTAKU
"Epitasis is a cool exploration puzzle game about ancient tech and alien worlds" - PCGAMER
"Epitasis offers a lovely dreamy alien puzzler demo" - ROCK PAPER SHOTGUN
"Untangle Alien Mysteries in the Epitasis Kickstarter Demo" - HARDCORE GAMER
"...the vast foreign virtual world and the abundance of very nice visuals will keep you going." - 80 LEVEL
"...wallpaper background levels of beautiful, Epitasis looks like it'll be a perfect otherworldly holiday..." - GAMESMASTER MAGAZINE
Follow us on Social Media:
LAST 48 HOURS:
With the last 48hrs, we have added a VR stretch goal! If we can get an extra $1000 from our funding goal, we will add in PC VR support.
Any other money collected in these last 48 hours beyond the stretch goal will be used to continually polish the game even further - we want to create a great experience and you are helping us do so.
Having stumbled upon an ancient portal, you take a leap of faith and suddenly find yourself amidst the remnants of an ancient alien civilization. Cryptic puzzles, forgotten technologies and treasured relics are riddled amongst the beautiful wilderness that has engulfed the remains of this fallen race.
If you are to learn their secrets, you must unearth the fate of the civilization that called these lost worlds home.
Epitasis is a colorful exploration puzzle game, inspired by old and modern classics, such as Myst and The Talos Principle, among others. It aims to provide a unique experience of discovery and puzzle solving:
- Explore at your own pace; traverse the colorful, non-linear world in any way you choose, day or night.
- Learn to use alien machinery, provide power via lasers, disable security systems, and more.
- Every area beautifully hand crafted, from large mountain swept vistas to the smallest of details.
- Discover ancient relics, jump through space bending portals, and unearth the fate of the race that called these lost worlds home.
I've been working on this game for roughly a year now - fragments and images of it have been in my mind for as long as I can remember; visions of wide open green plains, large alien moons, metallic ruins dotting the landscape, huge alien forests to climb and sprawling alien cities to navigate.
As an artist, I want the game to be as beautiful as possible, colorful and vivid as I see it in my mind. As a computer scientist, I want the game to be logical and puzzling, forged together with knowledge you must learn only by experiencing it yourself.
- Search for hidden treasures: In hopes of finding a way to make it back home, you'll have to scour the ruins and vistas left behind for ancient technological relics. They can help you navigate to new areas.
- Solve puzzles: The ruins left behind are usually in a state of disarray - security systems armed, power sources inactive, dysfunctional machines. Learn about the long forgotten technology by utilizing various puzzle elements scattered about in the game world for you to discover and make use of.
- Drone Buddy: Our protagonist quickly discovers and befriends an ancient drone - callable at a moment's notice, the drone can help solve puzzles, search for items scattered about the land, and even help navigate the surrounding area. Be warned though: other ancient drones aren't so nice.
The game boasts a wide array of varied environments to explore - everything from beautiful wide open plains to the dark recesses of a ruined alien city. With a huge portal network still operational by the ancient race, you can easily go to any location that you choose.
The soundtrack is being produced by the awesome Funk Fiction (Pejman Roozbeh). We've been drawing inspiration and influences for the games score from various sources - such as Tycho, Boards of Canada, and others. Music has been one of our biggest influences outside of games themselves - producing music in the same vein of artists such as those described above truly helps resonate the aesthetic style we've been working at and aiming to create.
The trailer track can be listened to on YouTube and SoundCloud!
Funk Fiction - Epitasis (Trailer Audio)
Currently, Epitasis is planning on being released on PC and Mac. However, I'm in the process of getting the game on Xbox One and Playstation 4, and will update fans and backers on this as soon as I have more information about console platforms. (Note: The game is completely playable with controller on PC/Mac). Due to the amazing power of Unreal Engine 4, bringing the game to any platform becomes quite easy.
Epitasis started as a small project in my free time, but has since expanded into something much larger. In order to help finish and make the game that Epitasis deserves to be, it needs the help of the kickstarter community.
Completing the game by June 2018 is a reality - but it takes time and energy. By utilizing kickstarter, we can:
- Pay for Help / Improving: I like to think I'm a jack of all trades, and so far I've been able to build up the majority of the game myself. However, there has been a few times I've required professional outside assistance for things such as programming and concept art, things I cant always do myself. Talented people need to be paid and compensated for their amazing work, and bringing on other people to help from time to time would greatly speed up the development process, making June 2018 an even easier release date.
- Company Costs: While I already set up Epitasis Games as a company, there are certain operational costs that come with maintaining one and more importantly, selling the game through retailers. Software needs to be continued being licensed, some retailers charge fees, and so forth.
Receive a full copy of the game itself. Additionally, you'll be able to choose what platform you'd like to receive the game on. Planned platforms are currently Windows and Mac, and we are working on a console release as well. The game will have DRM free options available on sites such as Humble.
Receive a handcrafted instruction booklet (PDF) on the game and its world - it'll tell you about controls, important locations, a bit of backstory and more.. Filled with art from the game of course.
Receive access to a special group who will get early builds of the game. You'll be able to play small standalone versions of various sections of the game - reporting on how you think it plays, awesome screenshots you took, and anything else that might be important. You'll be helping us make the game even better with your feedback. The first beta build will be available shortly after the kickstarter ends.
Get a digital copy of Funk Fictions original score for the game. 40 minutes of awesome, groovy, funky music created just for the game.
The digital copy of the Epitasis Art Book will include unseen digital concept art, level designs, WIP screenshots, time of day breakdowns, thoughts from the designer, and more. You'll receive access to a variety of documents never before seen to the rest of the Epitasis community.
Receive a special Epitasis kickstarter exclusive tshirt straight to your door - designed by Lucas Govatos himself.
You'll receive a large, 11" x 14" print of Epitasis art for you to hang on your wall. Your wall will look 1000% more out-of-this-world with this art, straight from the game itself. We will be running a poll of various beautiful screenshots from the game to see which prints user's would like most - you'll have a choice in the matter and we will be in contact to get you the one you want. (If we can't get in contact with you, we'll ship you a beautiful looking one of our choice).
Your name will be sprawled across ancient metallic ruins in a special area of the game for everyone to see. The ancient civilization knew you would be helping us - and they rightfully immortalized your name into the world to be remembered forever.
Lucas Govatos - lucasgovatos.net, @LucasGovatos
Lead developer, designer, programming.
I've been extremely passionate about games since I was a child... I started developing mods and game projects when I was a yound kid in grade school, continually refining my skill and meeting lots of great people along the way. I love to create experiences for people to enjoy and discover and express my emotions into my art and design.
Pejman Roozbeh (Funk Fiction) - Soundcloud, @FunkySynths
Soundtrack / Musical genius
This rad dude turns out sounds and amazing music. He's produced some absolutely fantastic music for other games and I'm lucky enough to have him here helping on the project. He continues to create mind blowing music at every turn, ever refining the style of the music for Epitasis.
For press and inquires, please send mail to email@example.com. Thanks!
Risks and challenges
Similar to being thrown into a distant star system from a portal you uncovered under the earth, game development can be a pretty tricky business with unexpected risks and challenges.
However, our timeline is solid - after working on the project for over a year now, we know what to expect. With a solid, small nit, and dedicated team working on the project, everyone is always up to date with the latest happenings of the project. Our timeline includes time for changes, tweaks, redesigns, and more, and includes time for things such as marketing, talking to the press, and taking the game to events so more people can get their hands on it.
Our utmost priority though is bringing you the best possible experience we can with Epitasis - we want you to play what the game deserves to be - an amazing, first person exploration puzzle game, set on distant worlds. We want you to have a unforgettable vibrant experience playing the game, where you'll forge memories that you will want to explore and see again.
Creating Epitasis is our ultimate goal - will you help us?Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)