My name is Dan King a.k.a The Game Boy Geek and over the last 3 years I have produced over 500 board & card game reviews that have been viewed by over 3 million people. My tagline is "Hi Quality - Hi Energy - Board Game Reviews" and those are the two aspects that I strive for in all my videos.
YOU (the viewers) benefit from my videos by:
- Understanding how a game is played in a clear and concise, yet detailed manner.
- Helping you find the next board game you'll love by attacking reviews with hi energy.
- Helping you stay away from certain games that you may have otherwise spent money on.
- Making you aware & providing details of the latest games in the industry.
What We Need & What You Get
In 2015 Game Boy Geek LLC was incorporated and the intent is to serve you with video content full time as I currently work 40 hours a week as an engineer. Donations to the Game Boy Geek will allow me to get closer to this goal.
The $7500 goal will allow me to turn down other contracted content creation that is competing for my time (saxophone tracks, music production, photography & video production in other industries). Over the last 3 years the 600 videos I have produced equates to over 4 reviews per week, and more than 1 video every other day. I aim to continue this pace while adding more new types of videos that I recently began producing (multi-camera play-throughs, & Rules Schools).
Beyond the $7500 goal will allow me to do the following:
- Procure more equipment needed to create better videos. This includes 3 new cameras for multi-angle videos, lighting, more powerful laptop, and better audio equipment.
- Travel to conventions (Gencon, BGG Con) which helps me stay at the front end of the industry and review the latest games.
- Allow me to get closer to working full time spending more time on video production which will equate to more quantity & better quality.
Join Dan's Private Facebook Group where he will share upcoming ideas, polls, occasional behind the scene videos, and ask for direct feedback.This group is run under Facebook's "Closed" privacy settings and only Dan will be able to approve anyone being added (which is no one outside of the backers).
Dominion - Prince - From Rio Grande Games
Specter Ops - Proximity Mine - From Plaid Hat Games
Specter Ops - Emp Grenade - From Plaid Hat Games
King of New York - Trump Tower - From Iello Games
Three Little Pigs - House Blowing Bonus Card - From Iello Games
Steam Park - Small Rides Bonus Card - From Iello Games
Steam Park - Medium Rides Bonus Card - From Iello Games
Dead Men Tell No Tales - Camille - From Minion Games
Sentinels of the Multiverse 2015 - Holiday Promo Pack (4 cards) - From Greater Than Games
End of Basic Promo Pack
All these promos are exclusively made for this Kickstarter project only, and some are customized around Dan!
Exclusive - Nothing Personal Customized Gangster Card (Danny "The King" Geekini) - From Game Salute
Exclusive - Deception: Murder In Hong Kong Customized Murder Weapon (Dan's Saxophone) - From Grey Fox Games
Exclusive - Deception: Murder In Hong Kong Customized Clue (Dan's tripod) - From Grey Fox Games
Walk the Plank - 5 card custom promo pack with Dan Shoving Suzanne from Board Game Breakfast - from Mayday Games. This comes with a "Shove Right" replacement card for all 5 colors plus a card explaining the artwork. At Dice Tower Con, Suzanne from Board Game Breakfast revealed herself as a traitor in social deduction game after lying to Dan the entire game.He playfully gave her a push that ended up knocking her off the chair.It was a funny moment that multiple podcasts have discussed since the event.
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival - Custom Tile - From Renegade Game Studios
Custom Wink Card (2) from Blue Orange Games.This comes with 2 customized #20 cards (black & white backs).
O.P. Arena Custom Character Based on Dan - This is an upcoming game from
Robert Burke Games that I have played and loved it!
$5 Gift Card to Miniature Market
This is compatible with all editions of Police Precinct.
End of Game Boy Geek-ified Promo Pack
Recently I began performing short saxophone serenades at the end of my reviews when I keep a game. Now you can have me perform a custom saxophone serenade for you (30 sec of playing or less) with a specific game box (or image) next to me.You can also have me say something specific to a loved one and play a short serenade with a specific song piece in mind (great for anniversary's birthdays, etc).
Here is an example of a saxophone serenade I performed about Dixit Memories and I quote the song "Memories" then jazz it up.
Here is a picture to show you what the inserts looks like, but you can choose ANY insert from their website.
Thinking about designing a game? Maybe you've designed many, but you're running into some design challenges. Why not talk to the industries most well known and experienced game designers for a 1 hour consultation? There is only 1 slot for each designer.Timing to be mutual agreeable and to be done via skype, or similar.
Thinking about publishing a game? Maybe you've published one before, but you're running into some publishing challenges (manufacturing, or business perspective). Why not talk to the industries most well known and experienced publishers for a 1 hour consultation? There is only 1 slot for each publisher.Timing to be mutual agreeable and to be done via skype, or similar. Available publishers are Iello, Stronghold Games, Bezier Games, Crash Games, Grey Fox Games, Greater Than Games & Portal Games.
Join Dan & designer Mike Fitzgerald at the Rocky Mountain Gaming Vacation. June 19th - 25th 2016 (6 nights) at the Mountain Thunder Resort in Breckenridge,CO. Travel not included.
Includes the Insert Here Level ($100 value), Private Dinner with Dan at the event ($150 value), Credits Level, Game Boy Geek-ified Promo Pack Level, Basic Promo Pack Level & Private Facebook Level.
Anyone who pledged (or pledges) at the Credits Level ($75), or the Insert Here Level ($100) will also get the Police Precinct Full Game App once released (est May 2016). This app has the following play modes:
- Pass & Play (play at the table)
- Online Play live
- Online asynchronous play
Reward Tiers Summary
Single Promo Pack Level also includes Private Facebook Level
Basic Promo Pack Level also includes Private Facebook Level
Game Boy Geek-ified Promo Pack Level also includes Basic Promo Pack Level & Private Facebook Level
Credits Level also includes Game Boy Geek-ified Promo Pack Level, Basic Promo Pack Level & Private Facebook Level + BONUS Police Precinct App (Est May Release)
Insert Here Level also includes Credits Level, Game Boy Geek-ified Promo Pack Level, Basic Promo Pack Level & Private Facebook Level + BONUS Police Precinct App (Est May Release)
Rocky Mountain Gaming Vacation Also Includes Insert Here Level, Private Dinner with Dan at the event, Credits Level, Game Boy Geek-ified Promo Pack Level, Basic Promo Pack Level & Private Facebook Level
- UNLOCKED - $10,000 - Dan will hold a 30-60 minute live Q&A session 12 times during season 4. Also, you'll receive an exclusive and new version of Danny "The King" Geekini Nothing Personal Gangster card (different from the one in the promo packs)
- $15,000 - Dan will produce 6 more "Rules School's" during season 4. Here is an example of one of these.
Also, another exclusive and new version of Danny "The King" Geekini Nothing Personal Gangster card (different from the one in the promo packs)
- $20,000 - Since Dan will now have more funds to acquire 3 more cameras, lighting, and other necessary equipment, he will produce 6 more multi-camera play-throughs during Season 4.
Here is an example of this.
- $25,000 - Dan will produce 6 interviews with board game industry professionals (designers, publishers, media personalities, etc) during season 4. Here is an example of this:
- $30,000 - Dan will produce twelve Top 10 (or top 5) videos during season 4. Here is an example of one of these:
- $35,000 - Dan will produce 12 episodes of a podcast show about board games on his existing podcast network which currently is a streamlined (Intro & final thoughts) version of his video reviews.
- $40,000 - Dan will produce a video covering Gencon which will include an artistic view of the booths, games, components, costumes, people, the sights & the sounds. If you missed it, you'll feel like you were there.
- $45,000 - Dan will produce a video covering BGG Con which will include an artistic view of the booths, games, components, costumes, people, the sights & the sounds. If you missed it, you'll feel like you were there.
- $50,000 - Dan will produce his Top 100 games of all time. Here is an example of the last time he did this back in 2014.
Unless otherwise specified in the rewards shipping is includedwith your pledge.
Terms of Service
Shipping of any of the promo packs will happen once all of the cards have been received (one shipment per backer). Shipping of the Insert Here inserts will happen separately from the promo packs.
The Miniature Market $5 gift card code will be emailed directly to you from Miniature Market using a white listed email management software (Mail Chimp or similar). After receiving the code, you may receive promotional emails from them in the future. You can unsubscribe at any time as in any white listed email program.
Risks and challenges
I do work full time as an engineer and I do travel for this position from time to time. Excessive travel or high peak times at work could cause a drop in content, although over the last 3 years I have produced on average 3.5 reviews per week while working 40 hours as an engineer.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)