RAYD is a tactical tabletop roleplaying game inspired by games like XCom, Mass Effect, and Cyberpunk. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on March 31, 2013.
About this project
Corporations Run the World, The Alien Invasion is Here, and you don't even have enough cash to buy your guns...
RAYD attempts to translate the utter lethality seen in X-Com into a fun and tactical roleplaying game. However, this is not a miniature wargame, this game has personality and story bleeding at every orifice; the world is ruled by opportunistic corporations dominated by greed and power and see the Alien invasion as nothing more than a quick way to get ahead of the competition, RAYD( the good guys you play as) are underfunded by the world to stop the alien menace, and even the aliens themselves are shattered into four very different factions that all see a way to use or destroy Mankind and all of the political conflicts that surround the planet.
RAYD WatchCode Xeno is the representation of all the years of imagining a story coming out of games like XCom( and X-Com), UFO Aftermath, ect. This obsession with how the world would deal with the aliens and the different reasons why the aliens would invade the world is the seed for RAYD.
RAYD has been extensively playtested and revised and is no noobie game. It will shoot you for thinking this....
But...If you would like to try before you buy, you have two options!
2-Mal will be running game sessions starting March 1st throughout March, until the Kickstarter ends. To join up, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and an email address you check often. You can also check out the calendar for game times here - RAYD The World Calendar
If you're interested in a game play demonstration, then check out Mal's Youtube to see some game sessions-
Meet the Corporation "Nations"
The Earth is a startlingly different place in the year 2020. After the 1973 Oil Crisis ended much worse for the world, major corporations began buying out sovereign nations. The future is technologically advanced but crushed by the darkness of oppression and greed.
Meet The Chromate Vanguard
While mankind thinks that the Chromate UFOs that loom above each major population center are unified, it is a much different story. The Chromates are just as varied, and splintered, as Earth itself.
Initial Goal "The World of RAYD"-$3,000
- 3 Customizable Specializations (Classes)- The squad-fielding Commander, the invincible Operator, and the all-knowing, gadgeteer Xeno-Tech.
- A Research system that vastly customizes the game experience for players/persistent gaming world. No two games will have the same items available for your players or corporate "Nations".
- A Deadly yet Tactical Combat system where soldiers and aliens can die from a well-planned attack. See the video for more information.
- A Dark world set in the year 2020 filled with cut-throat corporate nations with their own agendas that may or may not undermine RAYD's initial goals to stop the alien invasion
- A menacing alien invasion: the indestructible Chromate Vanguard is represented by four factions, each faction has their own invasion timetables that sets the flow of the beginning, middle, and end gameplay. These alien invaders have unique research that RAYD can obtain for an edge.
- Art assets for specializations, items, research, vehicles, and alien species.
Stretch Goal "Cerebreon Gene"- $5,000
- More art assets for everything
- The Psion Specialization and Psion flavored Training for all RAYD Troopers
- Two more Alien Species for the players to deal with: The dimension walking, bone-marrow sucking Mogulons and the overtly aggressive bio-terrors known as the Spawner Aggregate. Each with their own unique research subjects and invasion plots.
- Corporate Agendas- Unique introductions that allow players to help the nations they are from and benefit from outside support more easily. This can allow for more interparty drama between players.
Stretch Goal "Terror from the..."- $7,000
- Even more art assets for everything
- The Mech-Commander Specialization and Mech-Commander flavored Training for all RAYD Troopers
- Rules for Underwater and Outer Space(No Atmosphere) Combat along with vehicles flavored for those environments
- Two more alien species specifically built for Underwater and Outer space combat.
- New Research Tree for Beginning, Middle, and End Game for Underwater and Outer Space combat.
Risks and challenges
The only challenge that will occur after initial funding will be ensuring the printers work according to plan. However, these printers are easily fixed if they do break down and the delay will be minimized to a week at most as parts are shipped in.
The only other challenge I could imagine is too much success where the stretch goals are obtained and there is a lot of work to be done. In this case, I will provide weekly updates on what I am working on and share previews of the material as it is finished so that the community knows that I am on task with developing and finishing this beloved game of mine.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (31 days)