La Haye Sainte is a complete set of 3D printable .STL files that will allow you to print and assemble a model of the farm at the centre of battlefield at Waterloo.
Using contemporary sketches, watercolours and accounts as the basis, (rather than the current state of the farm), the files will include everything you need to print the complete farm buildings, as they were on Sunday 18th July, 1815, and simulate the fire damage to barn that occurred throughout the battle. Where conjecture and/or doubt remains the files will come in several configurations to allow a variety of solutions, and for each wargamer to decide how they want the farm represented.
The basic farm will look like this:
Each of the larger farm buildings (Barn, Stables and Main House) will be made with removable roof sections and the 15mm farm buildings will measure XX x XX once on the tabletop.
Since 3D models are scalable, you can print the model to the limits of your printer, though the files will be delivered optimised for 15mm as shown below. I am a wargamer and have worked hard to make the models both ACCURATE and USABLE, so the final farm will be table and figure friendly, which means no broken bayonets if you put models “inside” the buildings. All pledge backers will receive a link to my research and the conclusions I made from such when I created the 3D Models, this will include compromises I had to make to ensure the models remained USABLE and, perhaps more importantly, PRINTABLE.
I have tested the models for other scales, and they do scale both up and down, though I would hesitate to say that they print well for 6mm, though I was surprised at the amount of detail that still was captured.
The picture above shows the basic model scaled at 1.5, 1.0 and 0.4. So for 25/28mm, for 15mm and for approximately 6mm. (sorry for the unpainted Hoplite, he was the only figure I had for scale)
The basic farm files are nearly finished with some experimenting and fine-tuning of details for accuracy and printability. That means the basic farm will be available as soon as the project funds are released.
What will the funds be used for? I don’t need a lot of funds to get this started so the initial goal will fund the licenses I need for the software I have used , and cover the cost of plastic (PLA) utilised during the development. Anything beyond my goal, will allow me to commit time and resources to expand the range and work towards the enjoyable “stretch goals”.
BACKER NOTE: $1 SGD equals approx (as of 31st Oct),
- $0.72 USD
- $0.94 AUD
- $0.59 GBP
Using an Ultimaker 2+ and Cura, with these settings: Layer Height: 0.1 Shell: 0.8 Bottom/Top Thickness: 0.6 Fill: 10% Print Speed (mm/s): 50 Raft: Off (unless noted) Nozzle Size: 0.4
Risks and challenges
I will vouch the quality of my 3D files, though printing quality can vary greatly depending on which 3D printer is used, the material, the settings, and the slicing software. All of the models have been test printed using an Ultimaker 2+ with a .4mm printer nozzle. I used Sketchup Pro to create the files, and exported the .STL from the extension plugin available for that software application. All models were tested for mesh integrity and these are the files you will receive.
I then finally used Cura, but you could use any slicing software, to slice the file and embed the settings I have found the most success with. (see above) All models were printed in PLA, sometimes printed with rafts but always without supports.
You will need to use the optimal printing settings for your own printer.
The files of the basic farm are complete with only minor tweaks being made for printability and accuracy, so these will be available very shortly after the successful funding of my project.
- (30 days)