Our campaign is over, thanks for your support! Check us out at www.danielsnyc.com and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there is anything you need.
After college, we looked for a high-quality, affordable leather briefcase. We couldn't find one. The Daniel's Briefcase is our solution to that problem. Our mission is to get a first-rate leather briefcase into the hands of professionals out there without costing them a fortune.
About the Daniel's Briefcase:
Design: We designed the briefcase that we’d want to carry every single day—that means a spacious interior compartment with a latched and padded laptop separator and practical features like interior slot pockets, three pen slots, and an open full-length exterior pocket that allows convenient access to your newspaper or novel. We went through dozens of prototypes and continued to iterate on the briefcase until we achieved what we consider to be the perfect every day briefcase.
Leather: We believe that using the highest quality materials is the foundation for a great leather briefcase. All of our leather is sourced from an outstanding tannery in Novo Hamburgo, Brazil rated Gold by the Leather Working Group for environmental sustainability and stewardship.
Factory: Our briefcases are handcrafted in North America in a small factory comprised of about 120 artisans. This world-class factory also produces leather goods for internationally recognized high-end brands. We visit often and inspect each briefcase by hand before it leaves the factory.
Value: We believe in uncompromising quality and unbeatable value. By cutting out middlemen, not using retailers, and engaging directly with you, we're able to offer our handcrafted leather briefcase at a great price.
The Daniel's Model No. 1 Briefcase comes in either brown or black leather.
- 15.5” W x 11.5” H x 3” D (inches) / 39.37 W x 29.21 H x 7.62 D (cm)
- Fits up to 15” laptop
- Dual top handles with 4” drop for comfortable hand carry
- Removable and adjustable shoulder strap with leather shoulder pad
- Latched and padded laptop separator
- Full-length rear exterior open pocket perfect a newspaper or novel
- Exterior flap pocket with magnetic tab closures
- Two secondary exterior zippered pockets
- Two interior slotted pockets
- Three pen slots perfect for Pilot G-2’s
- Interior key hook
- Interior zippered pocket perfect for high-value items like a passport
What fits in the briefcase?
How we do it
From the start, our goal was to offer an awesome leather briefcase at an affordable price point. Engaging directly with customers allows us to do that.
Whether you head to work in a suit and tie, a navy blazer, or just a button-down tucked into a pair of chinos or jeans, the Daniel's briefcase is as versatile at it is functional.
And whether you need to carry a lot or a little, the Daniel’s briefcase has room for all your stuff.
Choosing your color: We will send you a survey after the campaign ends where you can make your color selections.
As an undergraduate in business school and later as a management consultant, I could never find a nice leather briefcase at an affordable price point. Unable to find the ever-elusive nice, affordable leather briefcase, I carried to work at various points--a backpack, a free tote bag I got from the public library, a duffle bag, and an ugly computer bag that the IT department at my company gave to me. All were bad options and I certainly never felt great carrying any of them.
I started Daniel's to solve that problem. Our mission is to get a nice leather briefcase into the hands of professionals out there without costing them a fortune.
Over the last year we have produced 2 small runs of briefcases. Every step of the way, we learned invaluable insights. We've refined, retooled, and now are excited to use what we have learned to really launch the Daniel's briefcase with the help of the Kickstarter community.
- We've upgraded to premium YKK zippers from Japan. Prized for their impressive construction and reliability, YKK is the industry leader in zipper manufacturing.
- We've upgraded the fabric in our fully lined interior so that it's now even softer and more durable.
- We've moved our production to North America to be closer to where we are. We like to spend lots of time at our factory—working with the staff and getting our briefcases just right. We've partnered with a factory that produces leather goods for some of the world's top brands. It's only a 1-hour time zone difference from us, just a short flight away, and when the briefcases are finished and ready to go, they can be at our HQ in New York in just a few days.
We plan to have the Daniel's briefcase ready to ship in September of this year. We've coordinated with our partners at the tannery, factory and other suppliers to make this possible.
This campaign is promoted by Backercamp. Since 2012, Backercamp has helped over 5,000 creators make their projects a reality.
Risks and challenges
We're confident in our manufacturing partners. They've shown tremendous reliability and skill as we've moved through the prototype development process with them. However, as with any manufacturing process, there are risks with regard to timing. A supplier may fall behind schedule and this can lead to a delay.
We are in constant communication with our manufacturing partners at the tannery, hardware suppliers, and factory and if we expect any delays, we will be sure to promptly communicate that to our backers.
We've already produced two small runs of our briefcases so this certainly is not our first rodeo. We check each briefcase by hand before it leaves the factory and treat every briefcase with our name on it as if we ourselves were going to be the ones carrying it. When we promise uncompromising quality and unbeatable value, we mean it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)