Thank you for watching our Kickstarter video! We really appreciate the time you've invested to consider supporting our Hockey iQ project and encourage you to reach out directly with any additional questions you may have.
Why the Hockey iQ Academy's online curriculum?
Hockey iQ, or Hockey Sense, means something different to everyone. We’ve done extensive research with players, coaches and experienced hockey people at all levels to develop a curriculum which covers everything from playing without the puck & situational awareness to mental toughness, nutrition, visualization and much more. We've decided to take the success of the class room sessions we've taught and develop a format which fits into the schedules of busy families while still providing great value to students.
Ok, so why Kickstarter?
With the help of the amazing Kickstarter community we plan to complete development of the high tech, user friendly, fun and interactive Hockey iQ website while keeping the membership cost low and providing desirable incentives in the form of prizes for the students. Competing for the students attention with apps like Clash of Clans, video games like Madden and websites like Dude Perfect is challenging. As a result we've put great emphasis on ease of use, engaging incentives and impactful content and are very pleased with the results - but all have come with a financial cost.
Who is the Hockey iQ Academy for?
It has been carefully designed for youth ice hockey players, both boys and girls, in North America from age 7 through PeeWees. Anyone with an experience level similar to this age group who wants to learn more about hockey while working toward prizes and achievements is encouraged to enroll.
What's the Value of Enrolling as a student?
The investment is $239 (even lower for a limited number of Original 6 Students - see Rewards) for a one year membership to the Hockey iQ Academy. The students will have access to a themed Hockey iQ lesson daily, Monday through Thursday, with a 10 question multiple choice quiz covering the week's lessons available each Friday. To put it in perspective, the cost is roughly equivalent to a 1 week on ice hockey camp or just a few hours with a private instructor but your student receives over 200 Hockey iQ lessons! Think of it as your own private Hockey iQ instructor for the entire year! They'll be encouraged to submit questions, suggestions for future topics and will have access to weekly expert interviews. And best of all you'll have the opportunity to earn great hockey prizes at no additional cost along the way!
What else can I expect as a Student of the Hockey iQ Academy?:
- A higher Hockey iQ. Three to seven minute video lessons delivered online daily Monday through Thursday which can be watched whenever it's convenient for the Student. Lessons will consist of a variety of formats including on ice instruction, white board explanation and expert interviews.
- Prizes! Every week will have new opportunities to earn iQ Bucks redeemable in the Hockey iQ store. Friday Quizzes and optional Extra Credit assignments will reinforce the material in the daily lessons and give students an opportunity to be rewarded for applying what they learn. The Hockey iQ store will have NHL trading cards and memorabilia, Hockey iQ logoed items such as trading pins and t-shirts and much more with new prizes being added all the time.
- An Enhanced Love of the Game! Whether it's Monopoly, Minecraft or any other game it's only natural to enjoy it more when you understand it better. Hockey is no different. Once they are a Student of the Game they'll be hooked forever!
- Exposure to lessons such as mental toughness, goal setting, leadership and handling adversity which will be transferable to whatever future passions the students have outside of hockey.
- Fun! Leader Boards, Achievement Badges, Virtual Field Trips, Contests, and much more will all be part of their Hockey iQ Academy experience.
- Interviews from Hockey Experts! Students will be exposed to a wide range of experts with interviews every Wednesday. Coaches, Players, Scouts, and Referees from all levels plus experts in important areas like nutrition, equipment, training and more.
- Convenience. View the lessons when and where it fits into your schedule. Our developers have taken great care to ensure the curriculum is easy to use whether you prefer to use your computer, tablet or phone.
Why is Hockey iQ critical?
We've found up to 80% of a player’s on ice effectiveness can be attributed to the mental aspects of hockey. Yet nearly all of a player’s time is spent developing their physical skills. Allocating training time to the mental aspects will deepen a players understanding of the game allowing them to fully utilize their physical skills, maximize their potential and enhance their love of the game. Evolving from simply playing the game to becoming a Student of the Game will shape their perspective of how they approach practice to how they view an NHL game and everything in between.
Can Hockey Sense actually be taught?
YES! While there is no question some players bring a more 'natural feel' to the game we believe all players can enhance their productivity and love of the game by being encouraged to be Students of the Game. In many cases, the players who have that 'natural feel' for the game have parent's and siblings who are passionate about the game. The Hockey iQ Academy will even the playing field for those who aren't as fortunate to be surrounded by hockey in their home by bringing daily lessons and access to dozens of experts and viewpoints. Furthermore, many of the concepts covered are transferable to other sports and passions in their life.
Thank you so much for considering our Kickstarter campaign! Please let us know if you have any questions. We're very grateful for your support and hope you'll consider one of our Rewards Levels or sharing the campaign with a friend who might have interest.
Risks and challenges
Risks to the expected timeline for delivery include successful completion of the new Hockey iQ Academy website. A firm has been hired and development has been in process for several months. It's on track for completion in late December 2015 but could theoretically meet unexpected delays pushing the launch to late January 2016 instead of the targeted 1/4/16 launch.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)