The Backpack Baller
The Backpack Baller
The Fantastical Basketball Voyage of Kevin Durant will be detailed in this 250 page book of original essays, features and interviews.
The Fantastical Basketball Voyage of Kevin Durant will be detailed in this 250 page book of original essays, features and interviews. Read more
Huge thanks to the following media / outlets for their support...
In short, Brian (the Book's Editor) and I have been overwhelmed by the level of support we've received from each of these media / outlets. From SLAM to Dime; from Sekou Smith's Hang Time Podcast on NBA.com to Sports Illustrated's Extra Mustard blog; they've all been keen to help spread the word about The Backpack Baller and for that, we say thank you. Power to the people.
-- -- --
Kevin Durant already has a scoring championship. An NBA one will follow, and the Hall of Fame after that. Get to know his full story ahead of the curve in this informative book. I liked it so much I agreed to excerpt it in SLAM!
— Ben Osborne, Editor-in-Chief
-- -- --
ABOUT THE BOOK.
The Backpack Baller: The Fantastical Basketball Voyage of Kevin Durant will be a 250 page magnum opus taking a forensic and satellite view of K.D's on-court conquests as well as his off-court challenges.
The book will explore his devotion, brilliance and cultural standing, and much like the player on which it's based, The Backpack Baller is non-traditional. Neatly broken up into a series of essays, magazine-style features and interviews with Durant himself, the book will cover everything K.D has touched over his first 25 years.
During the early stages of research, the book's author, Brad Graham, planned to write a sprawling 5000 word magazine article but after conversing with a collection of renowned reporters, international fans, Durant's childhood friends who now play pro, his teammates, competitors, retired greats of the game and of course, the man himself, Brad realised there was more than enough content to craft a compelling book - and with his background in graphic design, he was just the man to take on such an ambitious project.
- Dimensions: 190mm x 270mm
- Folio count: 250
- Full color (CMYK)
- Offset printed
- Multiple paper stocks
... And here's how the entire First Chapter will look:
The 5th Chapter (aka Kevin Durant's rookie season in Seattle)...
SNAP, CRACKLE & POP(-CULTURE).
Lets face it, there's nothing like a pop-culture mash-up. Here's how one such image was built just for the The Backpack Baller...
-- -- --
TABLE OF CONTENTS.
- Prologue. Kevin's signature attire
- Chapter 01. The 2012 NBA Finals
- Chapter 02. Kevin's childhood
- Chapter 03. University of Texas
- Chapter 04. The 2007 NBA Draft
- Chapter 05. Rookie season in Seattle
- Chapter 06. Relocation and Kevin's debut in OKC
- Chapter 07. K.D's meteoric third NBA season
- Chapter 08. 2010 World Champs in Turkey
- Chapter 09. Kevin's fourth NBA campaign
- Chapter 10. Recap of the 2011 Lockout
- Chapter 11. Kevin's incredible fifth season
- Chapter 12. Durant's most significant stats
- Chapter 13. K.D's collision course with LeBron James
- Chapter 14. The 2012 London Olympics
- Chapter 15. Understanding Kevin's place in history
- Chapter 16. Kevin as the ultimate brand pitchman
- Epilogue. The Ryan Gosling of Basketball
-- -- --
Inside The Backpack Baller, there'll also be a 20 page (min.) spotlight on Kevin's footwear history and signature sneaker series... here's a preview:
Additionally, there'll be a pair of lengthy conversations with K.D entitled "Made In America" (sample below) where fans will be able to read unfiltered conversations with the NBA superstar...
... And best of all, for all you coffee-table book lovers, there'll be plenty of images / graphs to support the colorful copy (such the images below from the "Kevinomics" spotlight)...
... and finally, there are stacks of chapter breaks which highlight Kevin's accomplishments and frame them within a historical context (like the tightest scoring races in NBA history, which K.D has been a part of on more than one occasion).
-- -- --
WHO WILL LIKE THIS BOOK?
The Backpack Baller is for fans of: K.D; basketball; design books; origin stories; unconventional biographies; the intersection of athletic culture and modern Americana; and / or reading something cool while waiting for the bus, plane or train.
As per our photo agency agreement, the images shown are for display purposes only and are "on loan" until we the book's publication is confirmed. While the majority of images on display have been given final publishing approval, there are still a number of key images for which we are still seeking final clearance.
-- -- --
- Jan. 2014 -- Complete the designs. Proof the text. Compile the Kickstarter contributions.
- Feb. 2014. / Mar. 2014 -- Print and distribute relevant backer rewards.
- Apr. 2014 -- Commence development of The Backpack Baller for tablet and mobile devices.
- May. 2014 -- Secure a publisher for a soft cover second edition.
To help make The Backpack Baller a reality, contributions are needed to raise funding for the following:
- Final stages of production
- Conceptual design and layout refinement
- Final page proofing
- First edition printing
- Paper stock upgrades
- Custom metallic cover ink printing
- Custom individually stamped cover stickers
- Rights to cover portrait
- Rights to all licensed internal images
- Obtaining a ISBN
- Administration administrative fees
- Shipping costs
- $50k will bring down the cost per unit allowing a small surplus and greater distribution flexibility
- $75k will allow the development, release and promotion of Kindle, Apple and Android versions of the book
- $100k will allow the principles to create and open a boutique publication house dedicated to specialized print and digital basketball books, including two other titles envisioned as sequels to The Backpack Baller
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Backpack Baller is NOT an autobiography.
While Kevin Durant is aware and supportive of the project -- he has read and likes the book -- he isn't directly involved, and nor is K.D receiving a cut of the money raised via KickStarter.
The funds generated here are solely being raised for the purposes of covering the costs to finish and produce a hardcover, first edition printed book and relevant reward items. Should this campaign prove to be successful, however, the author's goal is to work with Kevin Durant on a soft cover second edition mass market release.
The Backpack Baller is more than a celebration of one athlete's meteoric rise from skinny high school kid to global icon.
It's a new kind athlete biography, one that's constructed like a movie soundtrack.
This proposed book is both grounded and visceral.
It's a long-form documentary that covers all you've ever wanted to know about the Maryland bred, Texas raised, Oklahoma fostered talent whose affinity for Naismith's game has created a new kind of modern marvel.
This KickStarter campaign requires $35,000 to cover all of the
creative, planning, production, printing, shipping, design and editing
costs for the First Edition, hardcover version of The Backpack Baller:
The Fantastical Basketball Voyage of Kevin Durant.
Risks and challenges
Pixel is king. Print is dead.
With people increasingly favoring their handheld devices for information, some of the audience that could once be expected to support projects like The Backpack Baller have now clearly moved into the digital space. This is a challenge without a solution, but to ameliorate some of its effects, Brad is working on delivering a collection of attractive and memorable spreads that are best enjoyed in printed form and trusting that his fellow "print media romantics" will appreciate the final product's ambition and fineness of design.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)