MTG Xray - draft analyzer for Magic the Gathering
Automatically tune and learn from your Draft deck picks. Get mulligan strategy tips, and level up your competitive skills.
Who is this for?
Anyone who loves playing magic and wants to improve their skills. You are the type of player that spends some time playing MTGO or going to a local game store and wouldn't mind getting to the next level of play.
Brewers will be very happy if we reach the final stretch goal as we can encompass enough sets to cover all of standard.
Players that don't have the luxury of a whole "pro-team" will appreciate having an app that can help them playtest.
What we are building:
We are making an iOS and Android app that will allow you to learn a whole lot about your draft cards right there on the spot.
I've spent years playing magic, and now I've turned advice from the pros into actual computer algorithms that you can benefit from.
1. Auto-tune mana - including any of the special lands and how they pan out in actual play, color fixers, ramps spells, fetch spells, mana creatures... go way beyond hypergeometric math. Determine the true cost of a splash and where you will get color-hosed or not.
2. Main deck play testing - automatically suggests strongest cards based on your drafted set of 45 cards. Shows you valuable statistics on your deck as a whole, and force ranks the cards in your particular deck.
3. Mulligan trainer - shows top 10 "keeper" hands and worst hands analyzed from playing many games with your deck. Offers you example hands and allows you to guess if you should mulligan.
4. Mulligan Advisor - you indicate the cards in your hand, and MTG Xray let's you know if you should mulligan or not, based on sheer win percentage for 100's of games.
4.5 Draft A vs B card advisor - as you build your draft deck, and you get stuck on a pick, ask XRay which pick is better. A quick analysis is returned to help you decide how a "bomb" splash would improve or hurt your chances given you current and expected trajectory of picks.
5. The Gauntlet - as your meta-game evolves and archetypes become known, input those decks into your "gauntlet" and have MTG Xray test your deck versus all of them. This gives you a summary win percentage against the whole meta.
6. Sealed Pool - increase the analysis to the 90 cards that come in a sealed pool. Using a sealed-pool algorithm, automatically shake out some color pairing advice for your deck.
7. Standard sets - go back one by one and implement past sets that are still a part of Standard. This allows brewers to find new combinations not discovered yet polish them down to the exact lands and spicey tech. Tune your standard "net" decks for your local meta as well.
How is this different that other MTG apps?
The approach of actually playing out 1000+ games in a few seconds AI vs AI can deliver incredible insight to how your deck performs. Other Draft programs focus on making picks during the draft using fixed card rankings. versus... We strive to give you a ranking based on your particular deck assortment.
How you choose your final "main deck" to hit game 1 with is just as important as your picks. How you tune that last land - with solid statistical advice - is critical and is something in our control that we can get better at. How you mulligan - once again - that's in your control - but you're faced with a newly drafted deck you've never played before!! Why not get some real advice on that too?
Brewers. It will take a little more time for us to catch up with all the standard sets - but once we do - this becomes an awesome brewers tool. You will be able to get all the same statistical win %, card analysis, and mulligan advice that draft decks get as mentioned above.
Today's brews could be changing as few as 2 to 4 cards in a "Net" deck - people call that "spicey" these days. I call it smart tuning for your local meta! Using MTG XRay, you could hone in on those last few cards you want to adjust and bring big win % advantage that people aren't expecting. This level of tuning is normally only possible by getting together in a big group and play testing for days.
Rogue brewers... You will have the tools to brew up something completely from scratch. More importantly, you can very quickly determine why your deck isn't performing against the "gauntlet" or meta - and know why it would fail. Then you can keep moving on to tune and find the right mix of cards.
Remember, XRay not only gives you win %, but also detailed analysis of how each card works in your deck. Things like, "what turn it's played on", "how much mana was spent to play it", "how often an activated ability was used", "how many creatures did this card destroy", "when do I reach delirium / spell mastery", etc... These are critical answers to help you gain insight to your brew and is something pro-players are just better at than us. Thus, we can democratize good brew skills with a helper app.
Credits / Legal:
Image for project was originally done by Clint Cearley - an amazing artist - who did the art for the angel called "Gisela, the Broken Blade"; the skeleton under the looking glass was my modification and is intended to be fair use.
This app we are developing is not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast, all copyright and trademarks related to Wizards belong to them.
Thanks for your support!
Risks and challenges
I am outsourcing the mobile / development to another team (versus myself).
My core strategic algorithms are being redone from scratch and I will be advising how to achieve intelligent AI at very fast speeds. Keeping fast speeds on an ipad / droid tablet will be critical to success.
The game rules themselves are fairly complex in MTG, so there is always the risk that some cards won't be fully implemented in each set, or each new set could take time getting out specific keywords.
Luckily, I've know these game designers from previous careers, and I trust them deeply. They also have tons of experience doing mobile apps and game engines.
I've got years playing magic and have seen impressive results in the analysis that can be done. I've been able to do small experiments on my own computer - all without having to push it out a mobile app. This allows me to run some very nimble theories to shape the product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (41 days)