About this project
From Enslavement To Passion...
Slave To The Grind is the first official documentary on Grindcore. Grindcore exists somewhere between metal and punk. Grindcore is it's own beast, and this film will show the world how it came to be and why it continues to persist.
Enjoying Grindcore requires a certain dedication that is not radio-friendly. Simply put, it is not easy to listen to. Grindcore is outright abrasive, and though that is part of the appeal, it demands a level of introspection that pop music does not. You need to give a lot to grind - and like anything in life, the more you give, the greater the return.
D.I.Y. - Where you come in...
Finding investors to support such an extreme topic is exceptionally difficult. While we have a production and post-production crew that is dedicated to completing this film, there are expenses that we cannot ignore.
We are located in Toronto, Canada, and we have been documenting Grindcore as it tours through. While this is a great way to get a small percentage of the bands that we need, so many seminal Grindcore bands either don't tour, or do not enter Canada. Every penny from the $12,000 we are asking for will go towards travel expenses.
How do you expect to make a film for $12,000?
We don't. $12,000 will pay for a few film shoots, hard drives, and the cost to create the Kickstarter perks. It doesn't even scrape the surface of the costs that we will acquire with music licensing, film festival submission fees, colour correction, and distribution start-up costs. This is why we need fans to go above and beyond our $12,000 goal so we can keep this film as D.I.Y. as possible, and avoid turning to studios to help with the release.
What experience do you have making documentaries?
This is our second feature length documentary as a team. Director Doug Brown's last documentary was "Never Enough", which was a film on why people collect (everything from My Little Ponies to Cadillacs). Collectively, we have worked on over 15 feature length documentaries, and believe it is the best medium to showcase the history of Grindcore.
Risks and challenges
Making a film involves significant risk. Documentaries are the riskiest.
Having shot a feature doc before, I was able to make most of my rookie mistakes: going over budget, underestimating how long it would take, taking too much on, etc. That said, I was still able to complete, tour, and sell the documentary to a variety of outlets. I am confident that even in these early stages of production, Slave to the Grind will surpass our previous projects.
Risk 1: Subjects refuse to be involved in the project
This has been my fear from day one, but I am happy to say that 95% of the people I have reached out to have been keen on being interviewed. The other 5% are a work in progress. I am very persistent.
Risk 2: Delays
Delays are inevitable, but they should not be seen as setbacks. Ideally, a delay is deliberate and are intended to make the film better. Let's say Lee Dorrian is going to be in my neighborhood performing a solo grind show the day after the film is supposed to be completed. This is when I would push the release back to get what I need. Making a documentary is all about waiting for a story, and while this film will be rooted in grind's history, it is imperative that I am capturing grindcore's present and future development.
Risk 3: Technology
I teach film studies for a living, and most of my day is spent fixing technological errors. Computer crashes, hard-drives frying, broken gear...I can sort out any issue timely and efficiently. We are beyond backed up, and this film will only be stronger as a result of any technological error.
Risk 4: Getting too close
This risk is more for those who make films, than for the grindcore fans out there. What if I lose objectivity as a grindcore fan? What if this just ends up being a fanboy film, and has no social perspective outside of our little community? I am dedicated to making this film the best it can be. Both of my cinematographers do NOT listen to grindcore, and my two editors don't like heavy metal in the slightest. It allows for me (Director, Doug Brown) to guide the film in terms of artistic vision and general 'grind-knowledge' so that grindheads get what they want and let the other team members assist with flow, story, and the human element that makes a good documentary.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)