Use this space to cheer the creator along, and talk to your fellow backers.
Have a question?
Thanks Terry for the support
- We are very happy to have exceeded the Kickstarter goal and are hard working on product optimization and setting up production. We are running an Indiegogo campaign now to get as many people on board and as some people interested in our product may have missed the Kickstarter campaign, as Terry mentioned, this is common.
- The technical team is back in China, working with our partners there and doing more testings. We will send a more detailed update in the coming weeks about product development and production but here is a heads up :
- we will spend the next two months focused on product optimization (mainly acoustics and material testing)
- then we will set up production and produce the molds and stat the certification processes, to ship by June 2018
- In parallel, the development of the mobile application and the optimization of the algorithm is ongoing
Have a great day!
The campaign states that the product will ship mid ‘18. Also the last update stated that they would run a campaign on Indigogo to get more people on board (as many campaigns have done). It is a bit early to be questioning the integrity to the producer, particularly when what they are doing is exactly what they had said they would do.
Could you please give us an update about production start ? Some details about the next steps ? Why do you start another campaign on Indigogo, while this campaign is 292% funded ? Is this just another scam ?
Good luck in the final hours.
Hi @CJ, thanks again for attending our Live session yesterday and for backing us. In case our answer from last night didn't go through, here it is: Moona will sense your movements at night and analyze them to derive a sleep quality score that will enable the product to adapt itself to your sleep profile night after night. On top of that, the system temperature is always fully regulated, such that the temperature at the surface of the pillow pad will evolve according to a given temperature profile every night, making the pillow way less susceptible to heating up. So it allows a cooler feel all night long and adapts to you specifically!
Does the unit sense and adjust the temperature during the night if ones head gets very warm? I "sleep" and with 3 sets of pillows to be sure one cool set is at hand. I wish I could have REMOVE sleep but I wake up and switch pillows many times overnight.
I had the chance to test Moona in its beta version. It felt so great to fall asleep with a fresh pillow and to softly wake up with heat gradually increasing under my head. Congrats to the team for all the hard work to build this game changing technology
I was an early tester of Moona. I was absolutely stunned at just how much difference regulating temperature made to a good night sleep. I often have trouble sleeping, and can be very restless, but with Moona I was fast asleep in no time and woke up feeling well rested and ready to take on the day. The only complaint I have, is that I needed to give the prototype back!
Hi Moona team, we are group of students in NYC(fordham university, master of marketing program) trying to do some marketing research about Moona for our marketing research course. We are impressed by your innovative product! It's amazing. Is it possible for us to reach out to your customers who used Moona pillow and get their comments? We created a questionnaire in order to find out uses' opinions about Moona's pillow system and what aspects to improve. Will you please give us a chance to get access to your customers for this questionnaire? If possible, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Thanks for your question and for supporting us!
Customs fees and import taxes are dictated by the customs office of the receiver's country. We do not have control over customs fees as this may vary by country or assessment, and this applies to all purchases shipped from overseas, and we will likely manufacture and ship from Asia. You may be contacted by your customs office and they may ask you to pay a customs and tax fee to receive your shipment.
Please let us know if you have any other question!
The Moona Team
I'm looking forward to use Moona at the same time with other Kickstarter pillows I bought. Thanks for making it modular and not as an indipendent pillow!
Since the price range is...well, kind of high, at least for me I'd like to know:
Since I live in Italy and you're located in Paris, should I expect to pay customs since we're both within EU?
Or is the shipping and manufacturing been made elsewhere outside the EU and even French people will have to pay for customs fees?
Thanks for your honesty and for voicing your concern.
We are very focused on delivering the best experience and having the biggest impact on our users' sleep, without entering in a dreaded "feature creep". We have assessed the risk associated with developing each "stretch goal" feature we contemplated, in terms of complexity, time and cost. We compared that to the potential benefit our beta testers and backers saw in them. Only then, we offered all of our backers to choose which one they wanted to see first in our product.
Temperature is core to our product and key to good sleep. With this additional feature we are aiming to further enhance our users' night and wake-up experience, and allow for future enhancements later as well, which we will be adding through remote software updates.
Of course adding hardware to the product incurs development hurdles. However we are well-prepared and committed to deliver on time to our backers. We want to reassure everyone here that we are putting everything in place to ship the best product to our backers and further customers. That's our only priority.
Feel free to ask us anything! Thank you for supporting us.
The Moona Team
Oh no, feature creep. Too many companies here in Silicon Valley (and on Kickstarter) faulted when "new features" are added AFTER the design has been set.
Having shipped dozens of different individual products by the hundreds of millions from HK/China it is critical that you concentrate on the product you presented. I personally think time and money will be better spent on the quality of the parts and the elegance of the Application User Interface experience.
Of course actual NEW features should be developed. They will form the basis of your family during NEXT version in 2018- 2019. That's how you will continue to grow.
Adding "stretch goals" to this first product might distract you from the fine details that we hope makes Moona 1 a big success in the marketplace. Invest in higher quality parts, steal a UI Engineer from Apple or Dyson or another first class company will pay long term benefits way beyond the "Wake up" light (and other features) in Moona 2...or is it better to say "MOONA X!"
@David awesome! Of course I'll support you guys creating such an awesome project. Let me know, when the mattress version comes out. I imagine that would be great, especially if the backers this time gets a bigger discount ;)
@yulius thanks for your support and your question. Moona can cool well below ambient temperature - we have indeed tested it up to 9 degrees celsius below ambient. However this will not be the recommended temperature setting at any point in the night, as this much difference will keep you out of the thermo-neutrality zone (the range at which you feel comfortable and can sleep).
The humidity sensor is used for 2 main reasons:
- Give you information about your sleeping environment (there is a recommended temperature/humidity couple range for optimal sleep conditions)
- Assess how the temperature difference will be felt by the user: the more humid the room is, the more likely you will feel the temperature differences, especially on the cold side of the range, because the heat conductivity of your skin will be higher
Please let us know if you have any other question!
"Moona temperature range is 22°C-36°C. We have tested in warm similar set ups and the unit reaches the lower end of the range even in these conditions "
So, it has the ability to cool about 9 degrees celsius below the ambient?
You mentioned Moona measured humidity as well, is it because humidity will in anyway affect Moona's cooling ability? If so, what kind of humidity levels are optimal for cooling?
@Steven thanks for your question! We have a maximum noise level of 25dB which is about a whisper. We have tested the device full nights with beta testers and they were satisfied with the low noise. We are in the process of optimizing the transition from an idle state to cooling so that it's super smooth when the fan goes to full power, using a progressive rotation speed. We will make further extensive testing and optimizations with our manufacturing partner because this is one of the critical aspects of user experience.
hi Moona team, what's the noise profile and level especially when it's working at max power to reduce temperature of the pad
@Alan yes, the pad will be replaceable : there will be a connector on the tube between the pad and the bedside device. Also, note that the cotton cover will be removable and washable.
Will the pad be replaceable?
@yulius Thank you for your questions
1) The estimated operating voltage is AC 90~240V
2) Under normal use the operating wattage is 80 watts, at peak it uses up to 160 watts. The peak power consumption typically isn't reached more than a few minutes every night
3) Moona temperature range is 22°C-36°C. We have tested in warm similar set ups and the unit reaches the lower end of the range even in these conditions
4) We do not track the skin temperature directly, we track the temperature of the pad (and how it is affected by the sleeper) as well as sleep quality (through movement), room temperature and humidity and light intensity levels in the room. For a specific pad temperature, depending on sleeping position, hair and a few other parameters, the temperature of the skin will be affected sightly differently. When setting up the product for the first time, those are informations we ask from the user. The first 10 days of using the product, in the app, Moona also asks for your feedback in order to learn what's best for you.
Hello, I have 4 questions for now:
1) What is the operating voltage range?
2) What is the operating wattage?
3) How many degrees celsius below ambient temperature can Moona get to? My room during the hotter days can go over 31 degrees celsius.
4) Can we see the current skin temperature on the display, and how much it changes as Moona cools it down?
@Nicolas : Thanks a lot for your support and for testing Moona. You gave us very interesting feedback, especially on the user experience, and we took them into account as you can see. We can't wait to ship you your product :) !
I like this product, I slept with it once and it was really awesome, it's a good sensation. Cant wait for mine now !
@Malachi de AElfweald no problem, questions from backers give us a chance to explain in more detail why we’re building this product, so thanks again for commenting! Any regular pillow might be fresh at the beginning, but as soon as your head rests on it, the heat that dissipates through your skin gets, for the most part, trapped in your pillow. This is what leads you to toss and turn or flip your pillow in the first place. It disrupts your sleep to the point where you are aware that the temperature is not right for you. With Moona, you will not need to toss and turn because you won't get that disruption that gets you out of your restorative sleep and impacts your sleep quality!
@David Stoikovitch Thank you for the response. Wouldn't another normal pillow sitting on the bed at room temperature feel cooler than the Moona since the Moona is above ambient? IE as we toss and turn, why wouldn't we naturally grab the colder pillow?
@Malachi de AElfweald Thanks for your comment, great question! When you lie down on your pillow, although it is initially at room temperature, it quickly gets warmer because of the heat exchange with your head. Even if your room temperature is around 63ºF, the temperature of your pillow will go way over that with any regular pillow, and the heat exchange will stop happening over time. Because of the direct contact with your skin, the range is taken in reference to skin temperature, not room temperature. So a range of 71-91ºF is wide enough to cover every situation.
I noticed that the minimal temperature is 71*F. That is quite a bit warmer than ambient in my house at night (usually around 63*F). Is there a reason the lowest setting is so high?
@Autonomous Smart Office : Thank you ! yes indeed, flipping the covers or pillow means that you woke up. And you are not spending that time in deep sleep. Our sleep is made of different stages and we need time before reaching deep phase stages, which are restorative phases of sleep. When you keep waking up throughout the night, you don't get as much deep sleep. That is how being at the right temperature can make a huge difference on your sleep quality.
@Bard Bliss Although we do not detect the hot flash before they come (yet), the cooling effect will help a lot. We are expecting to gather a great amount of data on hot flashes and integrate our learnings in our algorithm in the future.
@Anthony Q1: We have selected the materials to be as robust and waterproof as possible, reducing the possible points of weakness in our product and guaranteeing a low risk of leak. The pad is made of a thin layer enabling water circulation nested into memory foam.
We have selected the materials to be as robust and waterproof as possible, reducing the possible points of weakness in our product and guaranteeing a low risk of leak.
In the very unlikely situation where there would be a leak, the system would shut down and there will be no electrical hazard.
Q2: Yes, you can definitely set up a constant temperature throughout the night. In the app, you can set up the temperature profile to whatever you like. And there are also buttons on the bedside device to change the temperature.
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Then it's 20% VAT on the top of what I should pay for your product. Meaning buying from a French company would not help me, even if I am based in France. Merci mais non.
Question 2: Can I set a constant temperature? For example, if I want my pillow to be chilled throughout the night
How do you guys prevent water leaks in your design?
@monna, what about the hot flash issue.
Thank you both for your questions.
1) You will get the best experience if you use the device with a smartphone, connected to the internet. It is very easy to use and the product doesn't need to be connected to the app at night in order to be functional. If you choose to use the product without the app, it will have a more limited user experience and functionality, as you won't be able to track your sleep data and progress and it won't learn over time what's best for you.
2) Indeed our product is great for people around the menopause and with hot flashes. Several of our testers regularly experienced hot flashes and the product was of great help to them. When you experience hot flashes, you will move a lot (and wake up), our product can detect those movements. Knowing that you frequently wake up at certain times during the night, the temperature profile will be adapted at those times. The cooling sensation of the pillow is really calming and helps go through the hot flashes.
@Brett : This is because the product will likely not come from France. Those are shipping costs from Hong Kong. We will be updating all of our backers regularly during and after the campaign on our production plan and the choices regarding our manufacturing and fulfilment partners. The results of the campaign will dictate the direction we choose.
As mentioned in our FAQ, VAT is not included in the prices.
Please let us know if you have further questions !
Wow so innovative! Usually my solution to temperature regulation is to flip the covers off my feet, but by that point my sleep's already been interrupted.
1) I don't have a smart phone. Not planning on getting one until I retire in a few years. Is that a deal breaker?
2) I have bad sleep problems. Most are tied to menopause. Can this product detect a hot flash is coming on, and start cooling (and then stop cooling once I regulate back to "normal")? If it can do that, then this is money well spent. If it can't then it's a waste of money for me.
I am based in France, does your price include French VAT? .Also, 39€ to deliver something from France to France seems to be a bit steep, how did you come out with this amount? Pour ce montant, c'est livré par une troupe théâtrale avec un petit spectacle festif en sus ? :-D thanks in advance for your answers.
Amazing product, have been testing it for 2 months now, life changing, amazing how the cool temperature can help fall asleep faster during hot times!!