What is this project for?
This project is to help launch Rooted Self Expression Center in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago on 8/15/2014... and to ultimately create a movement for honest self expression and connection.
How did Rooted come about?
Rooted is a result of my personal dig-deep journey. I've had to struggle all my life to be true to who I am. There's something deep inside of me that keeps directing me to find that truth, but the things is, as I keep going through life, I keep realizing that I'm not alone in this journey: everyone is struggling with it! The expectations of our family, friends, significant others, religion, society, easily and quietly mingle into our persona - so much so, that most of the time we don't know how we feel - let alone who we are. Everything seems to be about results and about proving our self worth, but it's incredible how much encouragement there actually is out there for being authentic. We are all searching for it. I'm searching for it always... and it's an ongoing journey because I keep evolving and so do the external messages and expectations. So, I am creating Rooted - a place where people can take that journey, a place that helps people get the courage to take the things they uncover about themselves out into the world and own them unapologetically.
So, what is Rooted?
Rooted is a Self Expression Center that offers experiential classes and workshops using various creative activities and art forms (art, music, dance/movement, acting/improvisation, speaking, and writing) to allow people to connect to themselves and others in a non-judgment, free-to-be-yourself environment. The intention of the Center is not to produce pieces of art, music, or writing or to learn any techniques. Rather, it’s to experience oneself being free and being surrounded by others doing the same and to ultimately truly connect to others without any masks on.
What programs will be offered (at least initially)?
Check them out:
So, why ask for help?
I have put a lot of my heart, soul, time, and money into getting this Center up and running. I've gotten a long way. I have a space, I have a website (not fully paid for :(), I have amazing, and I mean amazing facilitators, but I need your help to make this come to fruition. I need help to do these things:
- Finish up the space. $10,700. I've got to soundproof the walls for privacy, I have to paint the space, I want to get inspirational quotes, affirmations, permissions and things on the walls that help people feel safe to open up. I have to get a sound system and furnish the space. I have to get signs to help people find the space.
- Get ready for the launch. $4,200. I need your help to get ready to launch. That means the team spending time together (pay for the facilitators!) to make sure that our intentions is coming through in each of the activity that is being selected in each class. That means hosting additional class tests to continue to refine so that we don't do that after we launch. That means hosting an opening weekend that allows people to try mini classes for free.
- Get the word out. $11,800. This is a brand new concept and we have to do everything that we can to get the word out. It's hard to explain too (just look how much I've had to talk here!). So we have to have an amazing website - which I've been working hard on (check out rootedcenter.com). We have to get the media engaged - so we have to hire someone who knows what they are doing to get that word out.
Everyone that participates in this campaign will be on the website and a part of the Rooted community! THANK YOU!
Also, you can see many of the rewards are straight from what we will be offering: the Rooted Series, the Rooted Drop-ins and the Private Group. One of the things that is not listed in the programs area is the Rooted Intensive for individuals. We plan on launching the Intensive about 6 months after the initial launch to go deep.
The other thing in the Rewards section that is super cool (OK, I think so :)):
Risks and challenges
Here are some things that we will need to overcome:
1) We are waiting for the City of Chicago to give the green light for our landlord to finish the space. If they keep delaying, we might have to delay our launch date. The landlord has been trying really hard to get things done and we have 2/4 inspections done - which is huge progress.
2) The biggest challenge that we have is getting the word out. This is so new - if people don't know about it, they won't come. The risk is that no matter what we do, people will not find it. We are hiring someone to help us get the word out. We need you to spread the word too!
- (31 days)