About this project
Mainline Music is a forum for the fusion of popular and art cultures in music, theater, dance, and fine art. Its mission is to revive the natural affinity of art and revelry and establish a creative asylum for artists and audiences.
Mainline Music is both a residency and concert series, offering resident artists one week of unfettered access to space and technical resources culminating in a public work-in-progress performance. Mainline recruits, nurtures, and presents unconventional performers, composers, and other unclassifiable artists of exceptionally high caliber, enabling them the freedom to take risks during the incubation of new work.
Founded in 2016, Mainline is the brainchild of vocalist and producer, Majel Connery, and is generously hosted by the Starline Social Club in Oakland, CA during its inaugural 2016-17 season. Mainline is supported by Opera Cabal, a company dedicated to rewiring the operatic paradigm through bold experiments in music, theater, and multimedia.
Mainline Music 2016-17 Public Performances:
Saturday, November 19: Preview of "Aeolus," a new opera by Rome- and Berlin-Prize winning composer Ken Ueno, collaborating with renowned scholar and former U.S. poet laureate Robert Hass, and featuring Majel Connery.
More details and tickets available at mainlinemusic.org.
Above performances all take place at the Starline Social Club: 645 W. Grand, Oakland CA, 94612.
What is the Starline? Mainline is hosted by the Starline Social Club, recently voted one of the best bars in America (by Playboy Magazine!) The venue's marriage of eclectic entertainment, upscale historic décor and insanely tasty gustation has made it a magnet for a diverse and curious community throughout the East Bay. Mainline's November performance is held in the Starline's cabaret space (80 people max); January and May performances occur in the Starline's spacious ballroom (400 max). Enjoy hot-off-the-press new music through a state-of-the-art Meyer Sound system. And did we mention you can order martinis while you listen? We thought you might be into that.
Who's this Majel person? Switching to the first-person (yep, I'm her!), I was raised in the rural Midwest to a family of farmers who recited Gilbert and Sullivan verbatim. Opera is in my DNA. With an unfinished basement as my atelier, I mounted edgy theatrical happenings with pillows, spatulas and the contents of my mother’s closet. My goal at any time and place was to put on a show. Thirty years later, I am doing essentially the same thing. I am a performer, a composer, a vocalist and an entrepreneur with a fierce determination to create and produce works of theater and music.
Relocating to the East Bay in 2013, I ran into some of the most dynamic performers I've ever met . . . . anywhere. Mainline is my offering to them: a place to create without boundaries for an audience that wants to be challenged. I'm as excited for you to meet these folks as I am to work with them.
Risks and challenges
100% of the funds collected in this Kickstarter campaign go to the artists themselves. Our total budget for the series is $25,000. About 75% of that is aimed at artist compensation. (The other 25% goes to worthy and indispensable stuff like paying the lighting tech and renting a harp.) Art seldom pays. We think that's a failure of the system. Every artist performing on the series receives a fair fee for their work.
If you're thinking 5 thousand bucks doesn't go that far, you're right! It doesn't. But 5K is a good place to start. If you like the project, we won't stop you from giving more!
We're so grateful for your help. We can't possibly do this without you. Now buy some fudge.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)