IT WENT TOO FAR
Unforgiving and tense, each mission is a story of police operatives John Rimes and Rick Jones, that involve infiltrating gang hideouts, rescuing hostages, making arrests and many other life-threatening situations.
We present a fresh take on top-down shooters, inspired by gritty police TV shows and films of the 90’s - it puts a larger emphasis on tactics and forces you to make split second decisions every time you play. Don’t create any unnecessary casualties, push the perps to drop the weapon or shoot to kill – sometimes the situation leaves you with no other choice.
- The Surrender System allows you to apprehend the suspects without resorting to violence. Firing a warning shot near them or engaging in melee combat are just a few ways of how you can make them submit.
- Issue commands to your fellow cop Rick Jones. Make sure to use him wisely - and who knows, he might just save your life one more time. In addition, directing your partner gives him boosts for accuracy and reflexes, so it's better not to leave him on his own.
- Randomly placed criminals, hostages and evidences make every new level run a unique one. Every time you restart assignment the situation changes, leading to new interesting situations and opportunities.
- As a law enforcement officer, you will have access to end-of-the-line police equipment, including such gadgets as under door cameras, door blast charges and much more.
- Various types of lawbreakers, from small petty criminals to well organised gangs and terrorists. Each type has not only unique weapons, but different behaviour and shooting skills.
- Try not to get spotted, don't waste bullets, regularly check your surroundings and make sure to take criminals down quietly.
- All your steps and actions are scored in real time. Playing rough won't get you high enough result to start a next mission - so keep that in mind!
- Local and Online Co-op. Completing levels with a friend sounds like a lot of fun, doesn’t it?
- With a full-scale Level Editor players all over the world can create thousand of amazing assignments. We’d really love to make a system where you can upload, download and vote for best levels.
Police Stories has been in production for over a year, which we spent developing and testing out the core mechanics of the game. We’ve released an Alpha version, which anyone can download:
If successfully funded, we intend to release the full game on Steam before the end of 2017 with Windows, Mac and Linux versions available. We’ve already launched Steam Store Page and Discussions Forums for our community to discuss the game and share their opinions and ideas.
Backers with a 30$ pledge and above will receive access to a closed Beta in July 2017 (Windows only), which will be regularly updated. Players with Alpha Access will also participate in Development Polls - their feedback will shape the future of Police Stories.
The artstyle we’ve chosen for Police Stories allows us to create missions set in largely varying environments - which we will continue to do after the game’s release.
The Surrender System
Just like in real life, in Police Stories criminals are constantly evaluating the situation, and if they think the odds of staying alive are too low, they might surrender. Enemies, once encountered, may resort to three different behaviour types.
Aggressive: As simple as it sounds. You’ll know it - when the criminal will point his gun at you or a hostage. React fast and stay professional.
Uncertain: Most interesting one. If the enemy sees you, but won’t start shooting immediately, you may force him to surrender. We strongly recommend you not to break eye contact with an uncertain suspect and use suppression techniques.
Aware: Staying out of sight is one thing, but don’t forget that your enemies are not deaf. If you somehow let the criminal know about your presence, he might go and check… or simply start aim at the nearby doors, awaiting for you to enter.
The further you proceed in the game, the more dangerous criminals you meet. It’s not a big deal to cuff a bunch of drunken bikers, but would it be as easy with a group of well-armed terrorists? Their equipment's much more advanced, and they won't give up easily - so make sure to stay on your toes at all times.
In Police Stories, we’re doing our best to present you with as many options of handling bad guys as we can, providing players with various equipment to do their job. This includes (but not limited to) - stun grenades, door cams, extended clips and even motion sensors.
Yet another valuable asset you can use is your partner. His help might really come in handy, especially when you outnumbered or in need of securing several areas at once.
Here is an example of how it works: you find a room full of suspects - and your first option might just be kicking the door out, starting a firefight, and… most probably dying, since the criminals have advantage in numbers. In order to avoid such a fate, you may throw a grenade before going in, or create a distraction and flank your enemies, or simply blow out the door, thus nailing some of the thugs behind it.
Of course, you need to unlock some of the fancy gadgets first. And this leads us directly to our next part.
The Scoring System
The Scoring System is a crucial part of Police Stories. In order to unlock each level, the player has to finish the previous one with a certain score. All your actions, both right and wrong have an effect on your total score, which is shown in the upper corner of the screen. Try not to shoot at civilians, enemies who are about to surrender, and (obviously) your partner. Precise aiming and constant vigilance are the keys to success.
Being a good cop unlocks not only new levels and hard-to-kill criminals - it’s also your ticket to the advanced equipment we mentioned earlier. You may want to try new toys out on the previous levels to get even higher scores, or instantly throw yourself out into unknown assignments - it’s up to you to write your own Police Stories.
The atmosphere of the game aims to create a feeling of tense and dangerous police assignments - the original soundtrack greatly helps us achieve that. As important as the graphics itself, music in the game represents a strong mix of dark electronic samples with the variety of crunchy synth basses and groovy downtempo beats.
Game’s OST will be done by BlastOne, some of the examples of his work can be heard below:
In order to achieve maximum player's immersion in the game we’ll use a vertical layering interactive music system technology. Every track is composed of different layers, which can be switched on and off depending on what’s taking place in-game.
We’ve already made a lot of progress in the development of Police Stories - and it took a lot of time, energy and effort. We do believe in our project - and that you will enjoy this game. And that's why we need your help to make Police Stories the great game it deserves to be.
Your support is vital for us to be able to make a polished product. Money raised will enable us to cover expenses relating directly to game development.
After completing funding target we will be able to release the game in time and with all announced features. More money backed we’ll show us your interest in the game and we’ll be happy to expend the development. Here are some stretch goals:
- Destructible Objects - shattered TV’s and vases around you during a high-stakes gunfight create a higher sense of immersion. Not to mention, they look really cool.
5 more levels and enemies - This stretch goal will allow us to fill the game with even more content - the new levels and enemy types will be available immediately upon release. More game is always good.
- We’ve prepared some exclusive rewards for those who decided to back our game. It’s important to note that the production and shipping of physical rewards will take some time, but hopefully we’ll be done with it within the first two months after the game’s release.
Steam Keys and other digital items will be sent the day before the official release, since we want our backers to feel special :)
You can add extra items to your pledge - just increase the amount of your pledge while keeping your tier. A form will be sent to you after the campaign is over to confirm your add-on and the desired amount. We’ll double-check every backer’s choice individually, leaving no room for error.
- $3 - Digital OST
- $5 - Digital Artbook
- $10 - Closed Beta Access
- $15 - Extra Digital copy of the game
- $20 - Police Stories Poster (signed by the team)
- $25 - Police Stories Cap
- $30 - Police Stories T-Shirt
- $60 - Your Digital Portrait in style of Police Stories character
For physical rewards, please include the following:
- $15 - US Shipping
- $20 - Worldwide Shipping
A survey will be sent to you right after the campaign's end. All additional copies of the game will be sent to you Steam keys, as soon as the title is available in store.
Mighty Morgan is based in St. Petersburg. With different backgrounds and talents, we came together to make a game we’d love to play ourselves.
Your support will directly influence the development of this game. We welcome your involvement, and hope you'll join our growing community of gamers who are looking for a fresh new take on shooters with a tactical approach.
Become a part of Police Stories community:
Risks and challenges
Development of a great game always comes hand-in-hand with a variety of risks every developer must be prepared for.
However it's still vital for us to have all the support you can provide, since our main goal is to make not just a “game", but a really awesome one. This, at some point, may lead to a schedule delays, caused by some features being polished until they’re perfect. Still, with all our skills being additionally honed during the process of development, we will try our hardest to avoid such holdups as best as we can.
Of course, successful stretch goals will push back the release a bit, since we’re gonna have to work on the features we promised to add.
Thank you for backing up this game, which means a lot for us personally. The game we've already put our souls into and aren't willing to stop at nothing, until it will become the pitch-perfect title in our eyes.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)