Am I crazy? Well, when I started my own journey to donate a kidney, I knew nothing about the topic, only that I cared to help others. By nature, I am a very risk-averse person. I don't play extreme sports, I avoid roller coasters at all costs, and before this journey, I had never before even donated blood! Yet, the more I explored this amazing journey, the more I learned about myself, and the power of humanity to help one another through times of challenge.
This book is NOT intended to convince people to donate their kidneys. Instead, it aims to share my own inspiring journey and raise awareness, so that others can have an easy roadmap to explore their own journey.
However, the book's potential to save lives really depends on how far and wide we can spread it across the world. My goal is to raise the funds to not only publish the book but to have it translated into multiple languages, conduct extensive marketing and offer free and discounted copies to be distributed to people who are currently waiting for a kidney. Ultimately, the more people that read it, the more the topic will be raised and discussed and the more lives can be saved. Through this campaign, I have been featured on 60 Minutes and on CBS Morning Show, as I stand up and raise awareness fo this important life-saving cause.
The book outlines my journey by addressing the 100 questions I asked before deciding to donate. I describe the answers to the questions through my findings and personal experiences. The book really clarifies the entire process by breaking it down into chapters. It begins by looking at what kidneys do and provides a general overview of the transplant world. It is followed by an exploration of the testing and matching process, learning the risks, addressing the fears and weighing them against the value of human life. Finally, the book takes readers on a journey before, during and after the surgery, and tackles the dozens of questions I asked at each stage.
Below are a few of the many questions that the book covers:
- Can anyone be a donor?
- What does it take to be matched?
- How long will I be out of work?
- Can a person live as long with only one kidney?
- How do I tell my family?
- How risky is the surgery?
- Is the recovery process painful?
- Who pays for the transplant?
- What if my remaining kidney fails?
- What if my kids might need a kidney?
- Do I get to choose the recipient?
- Will I have any physical limitations?
- Can I still drink coffee or alcohol?
- Will I have to take medications for the rest of my life?
- Will I regret my decision later on?
- Will I have to drink extra water every day?
- Is the surgery laparoscopic?
- Do I need to have the same blood type as the recipient?
- How long does the surgery last?
- Will my insurance go up?
- Do I meet the recipient?
- Must I have a urinary catheter?
- How do they choose which kidney to take?
- What if I've had previous health problems?
- What is dialysis?
- How long does a kidney last?
- What kind of a scar will I have?
- Are there other expenses involved?
- What is involved in the testing?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Do I have to change my diet after donation?
- Can I still back out after agreeing?
- Can I still donate if I'm not a match?
- How long does the entire process take?
- Can I still play sports?
- Are there any long-term effects of kidney donation?
- And many more questions
There was something truly empowering, magical and transformative about asking these questions, as they represented the actual roadmap toward saving and changing lives.
I fully believe that this book has the ability to save many more lives. Yet, it will take a strong wave of support from other caring people, who are willing to do their part to donate funds (not kidneys) to make the book into a huge success!
Thank you for joining this mission and journey!
Risks and challenges
The final stages of publishing the book are currently underway and should be completed in the coming weeks. I look forward to providing updates as the book enters its final stages. It has been an exciting process from writing to editing and proofreading, to cover design, layout, copyrighting and marketing. The patience, support, guidance and encouragement that I have received from so many people has been highly motivating. I look forward to seeing the project across the finish line within the next 4 weeks, and with your help, in the hands of readers throughout the world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)