About this project
All backers between 1 and 50 will get an e-copy of Wasted Wood regardless of backing level. All other backers 51+ will get Wasted Wood e-copy if we hit $10,000.
I Need You!
When the publisher for Sages of Darkness stopped publishing fiction it left many of you without the next book; BlizzardSage. The good news, the book is complete and now it only needs an editor and to be printed. That's where you come in, that's where you backing this campaign will make a difference. And as a bonus I'll be writing the conclusion to the planned trilogy; CrimsonSage. I need you to become a backer for this project and help me fund the editing and printing of the series. The goal covers the cost of editing, revised covers, fulfillment of the rewards (printed books, etc.), and all the fees associated with KickStarter (KS 5%, taxes 20%, and credit card processing 6%.) You can see all the rewards at the side as well as some amazing stretch goals below. Plus learn more about the series and why we need to work together to get it released.
The Series of Sages of Darkness:
Sages of Darkness, is a fast-paced, exciting, and suspenseful action packed series. It focuses on 15 year-old Taylor who has just learned of his father's membership in a secret demon hunting society. He must take up the mantle and banish the evil sages that walk the earth back to the depths of hell.
HowlSage is the first book in the series, and the moment we first meet Taylor Rivers. A coffin discovered in Egypt, a jewel heist, and holes that swallow people into the darkness (EtherPits) form the crux of the adventures that keeps hearts pounding. Taylor and Ike race against the calendar and the wickedness that faces the world during the full moon on October 31. With the help of his cousin, Jesse, and younger friend Ike, a budding scientist, Taylor tackles the world of the unknown with bravery—armed with the Cross of Jesus and the Sword of the Bible.
HowlSage was originally released in 2011 and as you'll see below from just a few comments, kids and adults like have loved the book. It's now being rewritten with new scenes and story development.
BlizzardSage is the second thrill-packed book in the Sages of Darkness series—picking up where the very popular HowlSage left off.
To rescue his father, Taylor and his young, brainy friend Ike descend into the mine shaft to find the EtherPit—but an evil jinn has other plans. The monk continued, “Last, I must caution you. There are many things we as humans do not know of the demon world. Rely on God and trust in His sovereignty and you will overcome." Taylor and Ike find themselves in Angkor Wat, Cambodia, Machu Picchu in Peru, Stonehenge in England, Plitvice Lakes in Croatia, Bagan in Myanmar, and other unique locations worldwide as they overcome evil. In this adventure they must learn who they are and discover what is Truth and what is not.
CrimsonSage brings our hero Taylor face to face with the darkest and most dangerous of demons. What has been the target of the CrimsonSage all along? Will Taylor and his friends unravel the mystery in time? Can they find those who were thought lost? Can they defeat the evil before it takes full control of the world we know. A battle unlike any rages and it's not just between demon hunter and demon.
Hopefully you've found many enticing rewards listed. But what's even more important is for you to share this project with your friends and family. If we exceed our initial goal then we'll activate our stretch goals and some really cool new rewards will kick in. The prizes will quickly begin piling up. Check them out below.
A few notes on the rewards:
In the acknowledgements backers will be categorized by their level of backing, with the highest backers at the top of the page and in a larger font.
Release schedule: My current plan is for HowlSage to release in Janurary 2015, BlizzardSage in March 2015, and CrimsonSage October 2015. All other titles would follow that (SandSage, CuberSage, etc.) Digital copies will release at or before paperback and dust jacket copies. Digital artwork will arrive with the first digital book. Please submit other questions so I can add them to the FAQ.
- $6,000 - Darkly Brewed - Sages of Darkness Novella - Digital: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed the campaign will receive a Digital version of Darkly Brewed, my short story from HowlSage written from Melanie's perspective. A version of it first appeared in SUSIE magazine in 2011. It will be revised and released in early 2015.
- $10,000 - Wasted Wood - Digital: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed the campaign will receive a Digital version of Wasted Wood, my short story about the Darkwood Demon. You can check it out on Amazon HERE. That's right, not just those at DEMON HUNTER or above, everyone including those who participated at THE GATHERING level.
- $15,000 - New Interior Maps, Illustrations, and Demon Glossary: The original version of HowlSage included a very cool demon glossary hand illustrated by Ike. But the rights to those images belonged to Destiny Image. In order for this series to have the same awesome interiors and illustrated glossaries I'll need new art and layout design. So if we can reach this stretch goal, the interiors of the books will have new maps, illustrations, and an expanded glossary to hold all the new demons I've added to the books.
- $20,000 - Audio Book of HowlSage: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed at the DEMON HUNTER level and up will receive a free download of the HowlSage audio book. Plus all backers will be invited to vote for the narrator of the audio books.The audio book will be professionally narrated through ACX.
- $25,000 - Audio Book of BlizzardSage: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed at the DEMON HUNTER level and up will receive a free download of the BlizzardSage audio book. Plus all backers will be invited to vote for the narrator of the audio books.The audio book will be professionally narrated through ACX.
- $30,000 - Audio Book of CrimsonSage: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed at the DEMON HUNTER level and up will receive a free download of the CrimsonSage audio book. Plus all backers will be invited to vote for the narrator of the audio books. The audio book will be professionally narrated through ACX.
- $40,000 - SandSage Paperback: If we reach this goal I'll write SandSage the story of how Jesse and Melanie met in Egypt and how the sarcophagus was discovered. All backers at the DEMON HUNTER level and above will receive a signed paperback copy of SandSage.
- $45,000 - Audio Book of SandSage: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed at the DEMON HUNTER level and up will receive a free download of the SandSage audio book. Plus all backers will be invited to vote for the narrator of the audio books.The audio book will be professionally narrated through ACX.
- $55,000 - The HowlSage Haunting (1834 Non-Fiction): This is one of the books that Ike is using for research. If we reach this goal I will write the book Ike talks about in HowlSage called The HowlSage Haunting: How the hunter became the hunted. Everyone at the DEMON HUNTER level and above will receive a paperback copy of the book.
- $65,000 - The Howling of Hamburg graphic novel: This is the graphic novel that Taylor was reading in HowlSage. If we reach this goal I will write and hire a comic book artist to create the graphic novel. Everyone who backed will receive a full color digital copy of The Howling of Hamburg. That's right not just those at DEMON HUNTER or above, everyone including those who participated at THE GATHERING level.
- $80,000 - Ike's v-Log: If we reach this goal I will create a series of video journal entries telling Ike's perspective of the story. At least 10 short videos will be created per book; HowlSage, BlizzardSage, CrimsonSage. The videos will be accessible on my website via a special code in each book. That's means everyone who purchases or receives a copy of the book as part of their reward will receive access to Ike's V-Log.
- $95,000 - CyberSage: If we reach this goal I will write a Sages of Darkness story all about Ike. All backers at the DEMON HUNTER level and above will receive a signed paperback copy of CyberSage.
- $100,000 - Audio Book of CyberSage: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed at the DEMON HUNTER level and up will receive a free download of the CyberSage audio book. Plus all backers will be invited to vote for the narrator of the audio books. The audio book will be professionally narrated through ACX.
- $110,000 - Audio Book of HowlSage Haunting: If we reach this goal everyone who has backed at the DEMON HUNTER level and up will receive a free download of the HowlSage Haunting audio book. Plus all backers will be invited to vote for the narrator of the audio books. The audio book will be professionally narrated through ACX.
Please see specific backer rewards to discover if you qualify for stretch goal rewards. Some backer rewards specifically say no stretch goals, or no books, etc.
Get more people involved.
Not only can you help by pledging a reward and becoming a backer, but you can share with your friends and help get the word out about the series. There may be some who have read HowlSage, but have never connected with me and won't know about this opportunity. And If you haven't connected with me on facebook or twitter please do so. So please share this with anyone and everyone you know.
Share Banners and Link
Use any of the images below and Include this link to the KickStarter to get more people involved:
HashTags: #FightaDemon #InspireKids #John1five
Facebook or Blog banners:
We want BlizzardSage:
When will BlizzardSage be released? With your help it will be released soon. I'll clean it up, have it edited, and get it printed by early next year. Better yet the campaign covers the creation of CrimsonSage and a needed revision of HowlSage. Why revise HowlSage? Because there were so many scenes I wanted to add, but couldn't. For example, an InfernoSage trapping Taylor and Jesse in a small mountain cabin during their hunt, a more extensive goblin infestation of the town, and more development of Taylor's interest in Melanie. The series will be rewritten in first person present tense, which makes the action even more exciting.
What is the mission of Sages of Darkness?
Sages of Darkness is meant to counter the cultural phenom that says werewolves, vampires, and the likes can be heroes. I disagree, if these creatures existed they'd be nothing short of evil. They'd most certainly be demons of some sort, creatures from the lowest pits of hell. So with that I set out to clear up some of the "cultural" confusion. My hero, a human, who many (readers) will find relates in someway to their own lives must now defeat these dark demons, not befriend them. I strive to take you into our very own world and pull back the veil that allows demons to remain where they wish to be, right out of your sight; lurking and waiting to strike. If you have ever read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis you will understand this demon tactic.
An Experienced Author:
My two other series are with traditional publishers. The Quest for Truth with P&R publishing and Adventures in Odyssey's Imagination Station series with Tyndale. I just finished writing Tangle, book 4, of The Quest for Truth and its being edited now. I considered pitching Sages of Darkness to a new publisher, but the world of technology and distribution continues to change and I thought this a good opportunity to try fundraising and releasing SOD under my Crimson Pulse Media imprint. To do this I need you to partner with me, I need you to back me, market me, and pray for me! I need your support in every way possible. This Kickstarter campaign will only be successful with your help!
What Authors are Saying:
“Taylor is an average boy, with unaverage abilities. Sages of Darkness; reveals the evil around us, but uncovers the strength in all of us. With pulse pounding action, the Sages of Darkness trilogy will keep you up all night reading, which is a good thing since you won't want to turn out the lights.”
- Wayne Thomas Batson, best-selling author of The Door Within Trilogy, The Berinfell Prophecies, and The Dark Sea Annals
“A highly entertaining read and a unique story, HowlSage is sure to leave a positive impression on discerning young adult Christian readers. This story is not for the faint of heart; it is quite literally the battle between humanity and demons who've taken physical form. Brock Eastman has written a keeper you will dread to read, but can't help finishing! I look forward to the next installment in this series.”
- Scott Appleton,author of The Sword of the Dragon series
“When you meet author Brock Eastman, you are bathed in energy, optimism, enthusiasm, and a genuine reflection of Christ’s love for His people. When you read his book, HowlSage, you are immersed in a tale of adventure, drama, action, and matters of eternal consequence. Join Taylor, Jesse, and Ike as they learn how to defeat evil in the form of the wicked sages.”
- Donita K. Paul,author of the Dragon Keeper Chronicles
"Our house is jam packed with books, but my nine year old snatched up Howl Sage and disappeared with it. I've never seen her this excited about a book. The book never left her hand until it was done, and she woke up at six in the morning, snuck into the bathroom and read in there until the rest of the family woke up. Now she's pestering me constantly to read Blizzard Sage which, as of right now, isn't out yet! Hurry release the next book! Our family loves the Sages of Darkness series and we can't wait to see what happens next!"
- Matt Mikalatos, author of My Imaginary Jesus and Night of the Living Dead Christian
What Parents and Adults are Saying:
"BlizzardSage is an action-packed roller coaster of a book. It lived up to and surpassed the expectations I had for it after reading HowlSage—I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. Brock Eastman will have to pull out all the gadgets he's got up his sleeves if he hopes to top this one."
- Christian Miles, author of The Scarlet Key
“I'm constantly on the lookout for books that are exciting, but not too scary for my school aged children. Eastman consistently delivers action packed page turners that are not only a joy for the whole family to read, but also strengthen our spiritual walks.”
-Elissa Peterson, OH, Mom of 4, creator of Don’t Let Life Pass You By blog
“I was totally immersed in the fight between good and evil that unfolded in HowlSage. The spiritual struggles that Tyler endures, makes him an easily identifiable comrade to the reader. You find yourself cheering him on and holding your breath as danger unfolds. The cliff hanging ending of HowlSage left me frantically turning the last few pages, crying out no, no, no… just a little more…Absolutely cannot wait till the next book in the Sages of Darkness series, BlizzardSage, is released so Tyler can continue the good fight!”
- Lisa Wiegand, IL, Teacher
“Work couldn’t get over soon enough each day. The book [HowlSage] was waiting.”
- Colin Knapp, age 22, IL
“HowlSage definitely a bit of a hit. My son's not going to bed. Seems this book is head and shoulders above any he's read in a while. Well done!”
– Angela Wilmot, Western Australia, Mom of 7
“HowlSage was GREAT! I read the whole thing in 4 hours and even was able to get my brother to read it! My mom was really glad that I was able to get him to read it, seeing as he is 15 and doesn't like to read. The elements of this story capturing the true nature of the evil that surrounds our world today, was portrayed very accurately. It shows very well how the devil uses any means of deception necessary, whether it means making the beast not sound all that bad, or simply tricking an individual to fall for tricks he/she may not otherwise fall for. I appreciate how the value of trusting and relying on God's power and not on our own ways to beat the enemy is carefully planned out throughout the story, and not just forced on the reader as most books or movies may tend to do. In a culture that nowadays sees Werewolves (HowlSages), Abominable Snowmen (BlizzardSages) and Vampires (CrimsonSages) as harmless characters, instead of calling them by their known names, changing their names helps to expose them for who they really are. Perhaps, those who read this series will begin to see the dangers of what they allow themselves to be exposed to in their everyday lives. Brock Eastman is surely the next great science fiction writer in the 21st.”
-Tim Reynolds, OH, age 23
What Kids are Saying:
“I liked all the different locations that the characters traveled to, but the last one was my favorite. It was just as good as HowlSage.”
– Alex Peterson, age 9, OH
“BlizzardSage is now one of my favorite books! I love the characters
and the lessons about Christianity.”
– Ryan Matlock, age 14, IN
“A clever blend of Percy Jackson and Fablehaven, HowlSage kept me up all night reading. Full of suspense, action, and gadgets—readers will cheer for young Taylor as he hunts down demons and discovers the life he’s supposed to lead. Two thumbs up.”
- Christian Miles, age 17, WI
“Thrilling chases, advanced technology, solid friendships, and spiritual warfare; HowlSage is absolutely brimming with adventure! It's also told in a way that younger kids can understand and relate to. I have 5 younger siblings and the youngest is only 6. I know how hard it is to find books that grab their interests and hold their attentions, but that also have good Christian values and Biblical principles that they can understand. Not only did I enjoy reading HowlSage as an adult, but I know that my younger brothers and sisters will love this book as well. I can hardly wait to read it to them!”
- Nichole White, age 22, IL
“Thrilling events and vivid descriptions of characters made me feel as if I was right there fighting evil with Taylor and his friends! You won’t want to put the book down until you’ve read the last page.”
- Larisa Kolmyk, Age: 22, CA
“HowlSage was terrifying, in the kind of way that makes your heart leap up into your throat, preventing you from shouting, ‘Mommy, SAVE ME!’ You’ll sweat along with Taylor as he forges through the grey mist, or shiver with Ike, swinging in a cage in the darkness.
It was endearing. Not the HowlSage, (see top,) but the other characters of the book. Taylor was a warrior, willing to fight the good fight. Ike was a student with an open mind, and a child of the Lord. Jesse was smart-mouthed; witty, but keeping a dark secret.
And, in its entirety, HowlSage was gripping, holding my attention as raptly as I held its pages. Flip. Flip. Flip. This soft, papery soundtrack accompanied my reading late into the night, picking up speed as I went. HowlSage was the first in a series that is bound to get better and better with every new book.”
– Seth Skogerboe, age 13 Plymouth, MN
“HowlSage is an exciting and thrilling ride; it is a must read for all people my age and older!! HowlSage took me under 24 hours to read and my literally eyes were glued to it! It was brilliantly and amazingly written and I can’t explain in words how amazing this book is! I can’t wait for the rest in the series!!”
- Michael Wilmot, age 14, Western Australia.
“HowlSage is an exceptionally well written book that kept me on my toes the whole time. I can barely contain my excitement to read BlizzardSage.”
– Hannah Frey, age 16, IL
“I loved HowlSage! It was fun and exciting. You never knew what would happen next. If BlizzardSage is half as good, it will be AMAZING! I can hardly wait to read it.”
– Aaron Frey, age 14, IL
“Sages of Darkness is the next Ya Series for this generation, better than the epic series Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. It's a must read for all ages!”
- Solomon Stone, age 17, WA
“It was fast paced. I thought the beginning of the book was a little confusing because I didn't know exactly what was going on, but the more I read, the more I understood. This book is not as scary as it looks based on the cover. I thought it was a good book.”
– Alex Peterson, age 9, OH
- Allie Mikalatos, age 9, WA
Below you can see the planned covers for HowlSage (added moon), BlizzardSage, and CrimsonSage.
Risks and challenges
Once the project is funded a better timeline can be created to ensure that rewards are received and distributed accordingly. While several rewards list HowlSage, BlizzardSage, and CrimsonSage, I expect HowlSage to be completed within 3 months of the campaign ending, BlizzardSage will be completed 6 months after campaigns end, and CrimsonSage 11 months. Other rewards and stretch items will have to be produced should those goals be reached. Those items will not effect the release of HowlSage, BlizzardSage, and CrimsonSage, but will be released upon separate timelines.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (47 days)