Next generation charting software by author of the ground breaking Cricket Graph for the Macintosh in the 80's. So easy to use!!!!! Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on January 16, 2013.
About this project
Draggin' Chart (Cricket Graph Reborn!)
Easier and more intuitive than before.
Well into the development stage, Draggin’ Chart, a charting and graphing program with a solid user friendly interface is the next generation of charting software. It is extremely easy to use and very interactive. Draggin' Chart is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and the new Windows 8 (including Windows 8 Tablets). Later versions to follow very quickly will support Android tablets, iPads and Macintosh OS.
The funding we are seeking allows us to finish and ship the "Windows" version of our software by the end of February 2013.
A partial list of features...
- 59 chart types (each type can be viewed in 2D and 3D!)
- On the fly chart population with built-in data window
- Combination charts using a mixture of chart types
- Highly interactive real-time 3D views (see video above)
- Double-click areas of a chart to change details (one of the most used features of Cricket Graph)
- Rotating and exploding pie charts (highly interactive)
- Customization of each axis' details (including linear and log scales)
- Chart numbers-numbers, dates-numbers or labels-numbers
- Option of displaying data values on charts
- Ability to customize a chart and save the layout for future use
- Generate random data or use mathematical functions to generate data (useful for experimenting with chart types and layouts)
- Ability to cut and paste data
- Import Excel data (.xls and .xlsx)
- Import Open Document (.ods), text and Cricket Graph files
- Copy charts to clip board in either bitmap or standard vector graphics
- Save charts as images (.jpg, .gif, .bmp, .tiff, .png, and .svg) or as a .pdf
- Export chart as an image in a defined bitmap size so you can easily add chart to PowerPoint or other applications at the resolution you desire!
- Export chart animations as movies (can be imported into PowerPoint)
Draggin’ Chart is extremely intuitive in its layout and function. Part of it's design goal is to be used for educational purposes, so ease of use was critical. Users with little or no experience in charting can pick up the fundamentals in very little time without instruction. This program will be useful for users ranging from small business owners to Junior High School students. We want to make this program flexible enough to serve a broad spectrum of users with limited or no training required.
*An educational version of Draggin' Chart will be available for free to educators as our contribution to improving the educational system. It's easy enough for students of primary school to high school.
Designed and programmed from the original author of Cricket Graph, which was famous for it's ease of use and intuitive interface (award winning), now we take it to a whole new level in Draggin' Chart with the latest in technology and design.
We hope you will support our project.
For more information visit Draggin' Software
Risks and challenges
Why a charting package?
Jim Rafferty (author of Cricket Graph), was shocked to find that after 27 years there still wasn't a charting application that was as easy to use and as flexible as Cricket Graph was on the Macintosh in the late '80s. Everything available seemed to be hard to use (even though they claim it to be easy!) and/or expensive. So Draggin' Chart was born. It goes way beyond the original Cricket Graph (which won many awards) and is far more interactive and versatile due to today's technology and designs.
Draggin' Chart is more than 3/4 through development. No technical challenges remain. Design is completed. We need funds to continue the last phase of development, debug through the testing stage and develop documentation and web site support.
I am the original author and co-founder of Cricket Graph, Cricket Draw, Cricket Presents and the Cricket Expression color drivers for color printers. I am well versed in starting companies and developing new technologies. I was also co-founder of C-Cube Microsystems and helped bring JPEG (image compression) and MPEG (video compression) to the personal computer industry.
I also went on to develop video compression and video editing technologies for digital video on the PC (some of it ships with Windows even now). I also developed ground breaking software used in digital cameras and ships with many of the well-known brands of today (can't mention names).
I have won many editor and user awards for my products and was well known in Silicon Valley for my design and programming skills, and most importantly for my ability to take a project to completion and market. Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were impressed enough to become beta testers on some of my projects after Cricket Graph as they were fans of that software.
There are no roadblocks, other than funds, to bring Draggin' Chart to market and I hope you will assist.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (45 days)