Who I Am.
Hi, my name is Leah Nobel. I love writing songs. It makes my small life feel big and meaningful. Something I have learned in my twenty-something years alive is that most of us just want to feel connected. Making and sharing music encourages connection and has been such a positive force in my life.
What I'm Creating.
It has been three years since I recorded my last project, and I've begun to feel that familiar itch: it's time to make another album.
I had the idea of turning my new record into a concept piece. I thought it should be a collection of music that showcased the two types of songs that I enjoy writing the most: the heart-wrenchingly-sad-ballad, and the cheeky- happy-sing-along-loudly-in-your-car, song.
I am unabashedly drawn to heart-breaking music. And I love writing sad songs as much as I love listening to them. If left unattended, I could probably write a 50 song album filled with the most depressing music on the planet. But don't worry... I will restrain myself. :) Because lucky for me, I also like writing fun, quirky songs. They allow me to be spontaneous and silly.
After I had written the majority of songs for this project, I realized that they didn't belong together on one record. So, I decided to split them up into two EP's. One EP for the 'melancholy,' and the other for the 'carefree.' I liked this idea because it gives listeners an opportunity to digest the music in smaller portions and at a slower pace. And instead of releasing all the music at once, the plan is to release the records 6 months apart.
The first EP will be released in February 2015.
The second EP will be released in August 2015.
- The majority of the rewards for donating to this campaign come from the first EP simply due to the fact that it is being released first. However, we are releasing both EP's together on vinyl and that will be available Summer 2015! A voucher for this vinyl recording is a reward for donating to the campaign. The vinyl will also be available on my website, at shows, and Amazon.com come summertime.
My (Dream) Team.
I have been fortunate to work with a phenomenal team of people that have helped my vision come to life.
- Producer/Engineer Keith Gary (credits include engineering for Coldplay and Simon and Garfunkel) has inspired and challenged me.
- Cinematographer Brian Ledden shot and edited this Kickstarter video and also took amazing behind-the-scenes footage and photographs.
- The musicians that have joined me in the studio have been incredible teachers. Talents that include:
- Roscoe Beck (Bassist for Leonard Cohen)
- David "Goody" Goodrich (Guitar for Jeffrey Foucault)
- Mike Meadows (Drums and percussion for Ben Kweller)
- Harlan Hodges, Keith Gary, Daniel Thomas Phipps, Dirje Childs, Emily Morris, and more. I have also gotten overwhelming support from my family and friends, and for that I am so grateful.
For the last week of my Kickstarter campaign you are able to stream FOR FREE a *SNEAK PEEK* of my first single 'Joshua Tree'. This gives you a better idea of what my project sounds like. A free early digital download of this song comes with a 10 dollar donation to the campaign.
Why I am fundraising.
Now. To the reason behind this fundraiser.
Working on these albums has been amazing, and one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life so far. The challenging part has been how financially taxing this project has been. I am an independent artist without funding from a record label or investors. I grapple with the same issues that all independent artists face:
- How do I prevent the constantly evolving music industry from drowning me?
- How do I continue to create more art when I don't make enough money from my art that already exists?
- Will my art ever put food on my table or will I always have to work 3 jobs to survive?
These are the types of questions that keep most artists awake at night, worrying.
There have been many of you who have come up to me after shows in tears, telling me how much the music means to you. THAT is the fuel that propels me to keep going. I remember that we are all together in our struggles and joy. It reminds me to put away my fear and ask for help when I need it.
We are already 3/4's of the way done with this project. Now, we just need that extra push to help repay some debt, get the music mastered and duplicated, and of course, help produce some cool gifts for all you generous people that have contributed to my dream. Any additional funds will go towards music videos and promotional costs.
The past 3 years have been some of the most difficult for me, chock full of growing pains and changes. It has been cathartic to turn both devastating loss and moments of joy into beautiful music. I am so grateful for you, for visiting this page in the first place, and for listening to my story. I can't wait to continue this journey with your support...
Risks and challenges
Despite potential challenges, the music will be released and rewards for donating will be sent no matter what.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)