Kickstarter is a clever way to fund creative projects, powered by a unique all-or-nothing funding method where projects must be fully-funded or no money changes hands. So please share this page with your friends and family.
About Civil Ape:
Civil Ape is a creative collective located in the Cherokee arts district in Saint Louis, MO. If we were asked to define ourselves further and explain exactly what we do, the shortest answer would be "We don’t exactly know yet." Without doubt, we can tell you that we proudly carry the DIY mindset. We intend to let Civil Ape grow organically, and our long-term vision is to become a collective that fosters creativity by creating an atmosphere in which artists can collaborate and share resources. Currently, however, with the help of account managers, we spend most of our days fighting for work in the digital dystopia known as the design business. We create everything from branding to websites, for local, regional and national clients. During our spare time we enjoy all things creative: painting, music, film, and photography to name a few.
In mid-2010, our wandering curiosity led us to the world of apparel graphics. With a little research and the help of friends, we built our own 4 color screen printing press (roberta). We immediately became addicted to designing and printing apparel graphics. Encouraged by the very positive response to our printed apparel, we continued to explore design concepts, secured a number of consignments, and opened an online store. Fast forward to the present, in which budgetary and material limitations prevent us from keeping up with the demand for our work. If we are to sustain and develop our design and print operation, we simply cannot afford to continue investing our revenue in a small-scale apparel printing enterprise. And so we find ourselves at a crossroads. Will apparel design remain a mere hobby, or can it become an integral part of the collective? The success of our Kickstarter will have a lot of sway in this decision.
So with a little more Google research we’ve priced our ideal print setup at a little over $13,000. We’ve taken on paper routes, opened lemonade stands, and started saving our lunch money but we still need your help.
About this project:
As mentioned above, we are a fully functional creative collective. Our members spend their time working in and exploring a wide range of disciplines, and providing clients with an equally diverse list of creative services. Currently, we are especially absorbed in photography, painting, audio/video manipulation, print design and experiential installations. We are on a mission to take our apparel design enterprise to the next level. Our interest in the fast-paced world of apparel design and printing brings us to the world of dye sublimation. Our ambition to support ourselves as working artists and further pursue apparel design necessitates upgrades to our screen printing setup and a complete dye sublimation system. We are fully confident that these developments will lead to bigger and better things for the collective as a whole.
What the flip is dye sublimation?
The inkjet sublimation process has been around since the 1990s, however, more recent garment, ink and equipment improvements have made the process more flexible and commercially viable for apparel design. Sublimation printing dyes the fabric itself and renders images onto textiles to an effect totally unlike traditional textile printing methods. If we could acquire the necessary equipment, we could produce larger, more complex and higher quality apparel designs.
- Check out some of our dye sublimation design concepts.
How shirt subscriptions work:
- Make your selection from a list of shirt options, sent to your email monthly. Or choose the “surprise me” option, and put the the burden of the selection process on us.
- Based on the subscription option you choose, the appropriate sexy ass shirt will be sent to your front door every month.
- Subscribers will be privileged to limited edition and new releases before the general public.
- upgrade our screen printing setup with a heat press, new screens, ink and other supplies
- purchase a large format dye sublimation printer and startup supplies
- Restock inventory and add tank tops, hats and some women apparel to our list of products.
- Print! Print! Print! Like a group of obsessed monks, sent from the heavens to drop fresh ass designs on all of mankind.
If we raise more than our $8,000 project goal:
- Depending on how much we raise we have plans to expand our operation even further. With Direct to garment equipment which would enable us to easily do short runs of complex design(more design options for you), embroidery equipment, specialty heat presses and other pieces of equipment that would enable us to add new items to our product line.
- If the kickstarter community decides to be really really kind to us we will take some of the funds and invest in other aspects of the collective.
How you can help:
- Our marketing is a grassroots and viral campaign effort. Every email sent, mention or share on Facebook and Twitter helps us out so much. Please spread the word about Live and Let Dye
- And of course, you can back us on here with a pledge of your choice!
About Domestic Shipping:
Your shipping costs are already included in your pledge. You're all set!
For our International Backers, we will need to charge additional shipping costs.
- Backers in Canada please add to $10 to your pledge
International Backers please add $20 to your pledge
^ "Feeling it" - Availible for a $40 pledge - Only 21 will be made ^
- (45 days)