Solderdoodle Pro: Over 700ºF USB Rechargeable Soldering Iron
Melts Lead-Free Solder! Lasts hours and recharges from a USB port! Open Source Hardware, lightweight, fast, cordless, easy-to-use!
Click below for instructions on how to build the Solderdoodle prototype!
See chart below for Solderdoodle Pro temperature test results:
What is Solderdoodle Pro?
Solderdoodle Pro is a portable, cordless, USB rechargeable soldering iron. It is based off my original Open Source project: "Solar Powered Soldering Station" http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Powered-Soldering-Station/
Solderdoodle Pro does what other portable soldering irons have failed to do, and that’s the ability to last hours above 700ºF and charge the soldering iron from a USB port. You can literally go anywhere and still have a way to charge your Solderdoodle if there is a laptop, USB battery, wall adapter, or even a USB solar charger nearby!
Solderdoodle Pro uses a high-efficiency, high-power charge controller from Maxim and uses the same battery that's used in the Tesla electric car, which is the best battery of its kind. The soldering iron tip is replaceable using off-the-shelf components.
After learning how to use 3D printers, one of my friends asked if there was such a thing as a USB soldering iron and I said that I had instructions to build one, but the battery was external. I then realized that I could create my own case design on a 3D printer and put the battery, charge controller, and other parts inside as one single unit! It worked!
Where Do the Funds Go and How Long Will it Take to Finish?
Solderdoodle Pro is here to meet your portable soldering needs, but right now each Solderdoodle Pro is assembled by me in my apartment using rapid prototype components. In order to build the final production version at a reasonable cost, funds must be raised to purchase a minimum order of hundreds of batteries, cables, heating elements, circuits, and plastic components. Other equipment costs include molds for the plastic parts and creating custom assembly fixtures.
Solderdoodle Pro is designed be as simple to manufacture as possible and it is always being refined for the most efficient assembly. Our suppliers have given us great quality prototype parts and they are ready to manufacture the components in larger quantities. Typical manufacturing lead-times for components are about 30 days and test batches are always ordered before going in to large-scale production. Realistically, it should take about 6 months to set-up shop, order parts, manufacture parts, inspect components, assemble each batch, final test each unit, package, and then ship them.
All backer rewards shipped within the U.S. include Free Shipping.
* Time to Fully Charge Solderdoodle @ 5V 2A: 2 hours | @ 5V 1A: 3 hours | @5V 500mA: 4.5 hours
* Capacity: 3350mAh/3.6V * Type: NCR18650B Lithium-Ion
* Diameter: 1.5 inches * Length: 7.2 inches
* Weight: 96g (3.4 oz) * Charge Cable Length: 5 feet
* Input Cable - Male USB 2.0 Type A to Micro Connector
* Input - Current: 450 to 1300mA | Voltage: 5 to 6 Volts
* Output - Current: 1400mA | Voltage: 2.5 to 4.2 Volts
* Body Material: High Temperature Plastic
* Battery Life Under Typical Use: 5 years
* Replaceable battery
* Provides over an hour of soldering
* Solder up to 24 gage thick wire (Flux recommended for lead-free applications, thicker wire, or large ground planes)
* Heats up to over 700ºF (371ºC) in just 30 seconds
* For use with leaded solder and lead-free solder
The final production version may have some design changes.
Risks and challenges
I have a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering with over seven years of experience in the semiconductor industry. I also gained a lot manufacturing experience working at my Dad's sheet metal shop since I was a kid. Unforeseen issues that can delay the shipment of rewards to Kickstarter backers include, but are not limited to:
* Delays in receiving components on time from vendors.
* Delays from rejected parts during inspection.
* Delays from the carrier in shipping the product to the Kickstarter backer.
As a backer of other projects, I understand the importance of honest communication, even if the news is not so good, so I will make it a priority to answer all backer questions as fast as I can and give updates as soon as possible. We are on this journey together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)