What is Solderdoodle Pro 2.0?
Solderdoodle Pro 2.0 is a portable, cordless, USB rechargeable soldering iron with improved ergonomic grip and design. It is based off my original Solderdoodle Kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/249225636/solderdoodle-pro-700of-usb-rechargeable-soldering
Solderdoodle Pro does what other portable soldering irons have failed to do, and that’s the ability to last at full power for over a half hour above 800ºF, over 2 hours above 500ºF, and charge the soldering iron from a USB port. You can literally go anywhere and still have a way to charge your Solderdoodle if there is a laptop, USB battery, wall adapter, or even a USB solar charger nearby!
Solderdoodle Pro uses a high-efficiency, high-power charge controller, uses the same battery that's used in the Tesla electric car, and uses replaceable tips.
Positive Reviews and Feedback:
"I brought the solderdoodle prototype to a class I teach at Portland Community College. Everyone always brings the worst radio shack soldering irons to the beginner soldering class. The solderdoodle pro performed as well as my $45 50W Sparkfun Soldering Station. It was a real benefit to the class. Here's the class I teach : http://www.pcc.edu/schedule/default.cfm?fa=dspCRN&crn=34463&topicCode=DIY&subtopicCode=CONS" - hydronics
"Thank you for letting me try out your creation, the Solderdoodle. I enjoyed using it on various projects and tasks in my home and in the lab. The design is pretty solid and much easier to use over a corded giant. The folks I showed here at OSU in the EECS department really liked the hand held portability of it. The mechanical engineers thought it was neat as well." - Eric
Where Do the Funds Go and How Long Will it Take to Finish?
Solderdoodle Pro is here to meet your portable soldering needs! In order to build the second final production version at a reasonable cost, funds must be raised to purchase a minimum order of hundreds of batteries, cables, heating elements, circuits, and plastic components.
Solderdoodle Pro is designed be as simple to manufacture as possible and it is always being refined for the most efficient assembly. Our suppliers have given us great quality prototype parts and they are ready to manufacture the components in larger quantities. Typical manufacturing lead-times for components are about 30 days and test batches are always ordered before going in to large-scale production. Realistically, it should take about 6 months to order parts, manufacture parts, inspect components, assemble each batch, final test each unit, package, and then ship them.
Retail Price is estimated to be $59 + shipping
Retail Price for a replacement tip is estimated to be $10 + shipping
Solderdoodle Pro Specs:
* Time to Fully Charge @ 5V 2A: 2 hours | @ 5V 1A: 3 hours | @5V 500mA: 4.5 hours
* Capacity: 3350mAh/3.6V * Type: Panasonic NCR18650B Lithium-Ion
* Size: Diameter: 1.6 inches * Length: 8.1 inches
* Body Material: Nylon * Weight: 96g (3.4 oz)
* Input Cable - 3' Nylon Braided Male USB Type A to Micro Connector
* Input - Current: 450 to 1300mA | Voltage: 5 to 6 Volts
* Output - Current: 1400mA | Voltage: 2.5 to 4.2 Volts
* Battery Life Under Typical Use: Over 5 years * Replaceable battery
* Provides over an hour and a half of soldering
* Solder up to 24 gage thick wire (Flux recommended for lead-free applications, thicker wire, or large ground planes)
* Heats up to over 700ºF (371ºC) in just 30 seconds
* For use with leaded solder and lead-free solder
The final production version may have some design changes.
Risks and challenges
I have a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering with over seven years of experience in the semiconductor industry. I also gained a lot manufacturing experience working at my Dad's sheet metal shop since I was a kid. Unforeseen issues that can delay the shipment of rewards to Kickstarter backers include, but are not limited to:
* Delays in receiving components on time from vendors.
* Delays from rejected parts during inspection.
* Delays from the carrier in shipping the product to the Kickstarter backer.
As a backer of other projects, I understand the importance of honest communication, even if the news is not so good, so I will make it a priority to answer all backer questions as fast as I can and give updates as soon as possible. We are on this journey together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)