Solar Socket: Solar Powered USB Wall Socket
Solar Socket: Solar Powered USB Wall Socket
Emergency power for your USB devices like Smart Phones when the power grid goes down! Easy-to-install, Easy-to-Use, and reliable.
Emergency power for your USB devices like Smart Phones when the power grid goes down! Easy-to-install, Easy-to-Use, and reliable. Read more
About this project
- Keeps your phone charged to stay in touch with loved ones, get the latest news, and receive alerts and essential information.
- Keeps the lights on by charging your USB lighting devices such as LED flashlights, headlamps, and lanterns.
- If the grid is down for days or weeks, the sun will keep charging your devices.
For your everyday use – Charging your smart phone daily with the power of the sun is not a problem with the Solar Socket system. Experience renewable off-grid power everyday with this fully DC solar power system. The built-in batteries will charge during the day - charge your phone overnight so you are ready for the next day!
Easy to install - installs in a few hours and provides enough energy to charge your smart phones, LED lamps, or Bluetooth speakers.
For homes of all sizes – Great for single-family homes. Great for condos or apartments where larger solar systems cannot be installed. Great for off-grid homes, cabins, RV’s, boats, and tiny homes. Whether your home is grid-tied or off-grid, the Solar Socket can bring reliable solar energy into your home.
Compatible with all USB devices - Charge your phones, cameras, music players, Bluetooth speakers, GPS devices, and more! There is no USB device that cannot be charged by the Solar Socket. Connect the charge cable that came with your smart phone, or other USB device, and plug it in to Solar Socket.
Unparalleled performance - A fully charged Solar Socket will recharge a dead iPhone from 0% to 100% in 3 hours even after being unused or recharged for a month! Other similar sized solar chargers can only charge a Smart Phone from 0% to 70% and take over 4 hours to recharge.
Much larger smart phones, like the Samsung Galaxy S5, have a battery that's twice the size of an iPhone battery so the 13400mAh Solar Socket is recommended for those phones.
Plug and play – We designed Solar Socket without an on/off button so you just plug it in and it works automatically. Also, Solar Socket can charge your phone while charging the built-in Solar Socket batteries at the same time.
Entry-level solar solution – Solar socket is a low cost, entry-level solar system for those wanting the independence of solar, without the high costs and space requirements of larger panels, inverters and battery banks.
The Solar Socket brings into your home the power of solar and meets your needs for…
* Emergency back up power for your most essential communication and lighting devices
* Low cost, entry level solar
* Power independence by taking your USB devices off the grid* Carbon-free renewable solar energy
How do I select the right size Solar Socket for my home?
Where is the best place to locate and install my Solar Socket?
Is there a power level indicator?
Other solar chargers may have a power level indicator, but for this size solar charger, power level indicators are inaccurate and not very useful. What good is a power level indicator if it won't charge your phone from 0% to 100% at any level? Solar Socket's Blue LED lights up when charging and turns off when fully charged.
Why Open Source Hardware?
The solar USB charging market has become saturated with low-quality and poor performing products and every year the big companies are selling the same products with very little improvement. Therefore, Solarcycle has developed its open source solar USB chargers to empower customers with the ability to build their own solar USB chargers and to prove that a better solar charger that outperforms anything else on the market is possible.
Open Source instructions on how to build Solar Socket available in the link below!
A new standard for quality - Our Solar Socket Kit sets a new standard for a compact, powerful, and easy-to-install USB solar charging. The Solar Socket Kit is engineered to squeeze the most energy possible from the sun's rays in to your smart phone. No short-cuts that compromise power or efficiency are taken, period.
Our panel is a high quality custom Suntactics solar panel, which has a fluoropolymer film with the best light transmission, precision cut and tabbed high-efficiency solar cells, and a high-strength substrate. The panel is attached to a metal bracket, which acts as a passive heat sink to cool the panel.
Our battery uses a high-efficiency, high-power charge controller from Maxim and uses the same battery that's used in the Tesla electric car, which is the best battery of its kind. Even the power cables consist of thicker gage wire, which allows the electricity to flow more efficiently.
Solar Socket Solar Panel Specs (Made in USA):
* Size: W 6.5 inches X L 10.9 inches X H 0.6 inches
* Cable Length: 10 feet * Weight: 270g (9.52 oz)
* Nominal Output - Current: 1000mA or 1600mA (5 or 8 Watt) | Voltage: 5 Volts
* Max Open Circuit Voltage: 6 Volts
* Cell Type: Monocrystalline * Cell Efficiency: 18.8%
* Compatible with Solar Socket
Solar Socket USB Wall Plug and Battery Specs (Made in USA):
* Time to Fully Charge: @5 Watts 3350mAh: 3 hours | @8 Watts 13400mAh: 7 hours
* Capacity: 3350mAh, 6700mAh, or 13400mAh / 3.6V
* Type: NCR18650B Lithium-Ion
* Weight: 386g - 478g (13.6oz - 16.8 oz)
* Input - Current: 450 to 2600mA | Voltage: 5 to 6 Volts
* Number of USB Ports: 1 or 2
* Output - Female USB 2.0 Type A Connector
* Output - Current: Up to 1400mA | Voltage: 5 Volts
* Body Material: Standard Drywall Electrical Box
* Battery Life Under Typical Use: 5 years * Replaceable Battery
* Provides up to 320% iPhone Charge or 160% Galaxy S5 Charge with the 6700mAh Version
* Compatible with iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, and Others
Risks and challenges
I have a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering with over seven years of experience in the semiconductor industry. I also gained a lot manufacturing experience working at my Dad's sheet metal shop since I was a kid. Unforeseen issues that can delay the shipment of rewards to Kickstarter backers include, but are not limited to:
* Delays in receiving components on time from vendors.
* Delays from rejected parts during inspection.
* Delays from the carrier in shipping the product to the Kickstarter backer.
As a backer of other projects, I understand the importance of honest communication, even if the news is not so good, so I will make it a priority to answer all backer questions as fast as I can and give updates as soon as possible. We are on this journey together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Companies are working on temporary network towers in emergencies http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384272,00.asp You want to have your phone ready when the network becomes active. Sometimes cell phone service is unaffected because of towers running of separate grids.
There are satellite phones that are USB rechargeable http://www.iridium.com/products/Iridium9555SatellitePhone.aspx…
and goTenna for turning your smart phone into a portable personal cell network http://gotenna.com
Support this project
- (49 days)