What is a Cordless 3D Print Finishing Tool?
This campaign introduces new attachments for a hot knife, needle, and scooper for Solderdoodle Pro, which converts it in to a portable, cordless, USB rechargeable 3D print finishing tool. Solderdoodle Pro was originally a portable soldering iron with the ability to last at full power for over a half hour above 800ºF, over 2 hours above 500ºF, and charge from a USB port. Below is a link for my original Open Source Hardware Solderdoodle Kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/249225636/solderdoodle-pro-700of-usb-rechargeable-soldering
You can literally go anywhere and still have a way to charge your Solderdoodle if there is a laptop, USB battery, wall adapter, or even a USB solar charger nearby!
Solderdoodle Pro uses a high-efficiency, high-power charge controller, uses the same battery that's used in the Tesla electric car, and uses replaceable tips.
All kit backers, which include the Solderdoodle Pro base unit, will receive the original conical soldering iron tip.
Includes tip removal tool for easier tip replacement!
Where Do the Funds Go and How Long Will it Take to Finish?
This 3D Print Finishing Tool is here to meet your portable needs! In order to build the final production version at a reasonable cost, funds must be raised to purchase a minimum order of hundreds of batteries, cables, heating elements, circuits, and plastic components.
Solderdoodle Pro is designed be as simple to manufacture as possible and it is always being refined for the most efficient assembly. Our suppliers have given us great quality prototype parts and they are ready to manufacture the components in large quantities. Typical manufacturing lead-times for components are about 30 days and test batches are always ordered before going in to large-scale production. Realistically, it should take about 6 months to order parts, manufacture parts, inspect components, assemble each batch, final test each unit, package, and then ship them.
Retail Price for the base only is estimated to be $59 + shipping
Retail Price for each replacement tip is estimated to be $10 + shipping
3D Finishing Tool Specs:
* Time to Fully Charge @ 5V 2A: 2 hours | @ 5V 1A: 3 hours | @5V 500mA: 4.5 hours
* Capacity: 3350mAh/3.6V * Type: Panasonic NCR18650B Lithium-Ion
* Size: Diameter: 1.6 inches * Length: 8.1 inches
* Body Material: Nylon * Weight: 98g (3.5 oz)
* Input Cable - 3' Nylon Braided Male USB Type A to Micro Connector
* Input - Current: 450 to 1300mA | Voltage: 5 to 6 Volts
* Output - Current: 1400mA | Voltage: 2.5 to 4.2 Volts
* Battery Life Under Typical Use: Over 5 years * Replaceable battery
* Provides over 2 hours of working time
* Heats up to over 700ºF (371ºC) in just 30 seconds
* Works with PLA and ABS
Click below for Open Source instructions on how to build the Solderdoodle Pro prototype!
Risks and challenges
I have a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering with over eight years of experience and a few successful Kickstarter project under my belt. I also gained a lot manufacturing experience working at my Dad's sheet metal shop since I was a kid. Unforeseen issues that can delay the shipment of rewards to Kickstarter backers include, but are not limited to:
* Delays in receiving components on time from vendors.
* Delays from rejected parts during inspection.
* Delays from the carrier in shipping the product to the Kickstarter backer.
As a backer of other projects, I understand the importance of honest communication, even if the news is not so good, so I will make it a priority to answer all backer questions as fast as I can and give updates as soon as possible. We are on this journey together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)